Oakland Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Roving Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Principal in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Principal in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Schools (More than 8 years)

Pros

To help Black and Latino males complete high school and continue on to college.

Cons

There are not enough Black and Latino male students entering college and completing college.

Advice to Management

Work with students who lack the rigors to complete high school and continue on to college

2. "Wonderful Team, Meaningful Work"

Current Employee - Wraparound Facilitator in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Wraparound Facilitator in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Oakland Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive managers, independent work, flexibility, great benefits

Cons

Communication can be muddled, work is high stress, irregular hours

3. "Nice place to work if you can afford to."

Current Employee - Engineer in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waterford, MI

Pros

Benefits and time off and hours

Cons

Low pay, Senoir management very controling

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to non management input

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

Great place to work, but very hard to advance.

Cons

Hard to advance since there is no union.

6. "Instructional Technician Oakland Schools"

Current Employee - Instructional Technician
    Current Employee - Instructional Technician

I have been working at Oakland Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good co-workers (where I'm at anyway) , low stress environment, open minded administration, good hours, lots of time off... (10 month job), staff work together to have events for the kids, the kids,

Cons

No pay when you are off for 10 month employees, not alot of room for advancement, cut back on $ for updating equipment, too many students with phones, some staff doesnt enforce the no phone policy

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

7. "The Pros outweigh the Cons"

Pros

2 weeks winter break with the schools. Summer hours. Decent healthcare. Everyone is passionate about their work.

Cons

1% raises every year. No bonuses. No room for advancement as support staff.

8. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The people are great, the environment is generally positive, benefits align nicely with other employers in area. In my experience, the organization provides a flexible work environment when needed and if not abused. I feel the compensation is appropriate and in line with other major employers in the area - I really have no complaints on that front. Generally, I enjoy working here and would recommend it to others.

Cons

To a great degree, you better really like the position you get hired in as there are not a lot of opportunities for advancement. Yes, I have been passed up for promotion and what I say here is not coming from sour grapes over the situation. I have mentioned several times to management my desire to take on additional responsibilities to increase my skillset to add value and resources, but I am continually told that is not your job. Not sure how an employee can be told they didn't get a promotion or different position due to lack of experience, but are not given the opportunity to gain that experience to increase value for the organization in the current position for the chance at advancement in the future. The practice is basically saying to the employee you need to go elsewhere to advance or increase learning. Kinda defeats the purpose of investing in an employee in the first place and creates stepping stone employment experience rather than a long term, upward trajectory experience.

Advice to Management

Prioritize value invested in current employees and work to promote from within where appropriate where you see the potential, even if that person doesn't have demonstrated "on the ground" experience you are looking for. If you can see the intrinsic value in employees and provide opportunities for growth where potential exists, take a chance on an internal employees first. Honoring that employee with the first opportunity for advancement will only increase the effort level of your staff to excel with the possibility upward movement. Not prioritizing current employees or making opportunities from within really makes people feel stuck. Employees feel they need to 1. leave to advance or 2. really lends itself to people becoming complacent in their work when they feel they have nothing to work toward as far as new opportunities are concerned.

Otherwise, continue striving to communicate better and look at creating efficiencies in collaborating on an interdepartmental level. Often times I feel like I work in a silo. It's the nature of working in a high energy, fast paced environment, where time to reflect is not always abundant, but we should not stop working toward that goal.

9. "Consultant"

I have been working at Oakland Schools full-time

Pros

The Oakland schools staff is talented and friendly and they have access to resources to do great work. Overall,Oakland County and the schools and districts in Oakland County are wonderful places to live, work and learn.

Cons

New management has created a bad culture that permeates the organization like a black cloud--it is toxic! Veteran middle managers seem to be paralyzed with uncertainty and fear from poor leaders who are egocentric and power hungry at best and bad bullies at worst. Really talented people have left and others are considering it because they have other career options. Unless something is done soon, the quality of services will deteriorate as the best, brightest and most experienced staff will leave and the those that remain will do the best they can to lay low and maintain the status quo.

Advice to Management

The Oakland Schools Board of Education and local school leaders ought to look closer at the leadership issues at the top--talk/listen to focus groups, conduct exit interviews/surveys and take appropriate action to make the changes necessary to protect Oakland School's great reputation and future viability.

"Project Assistant"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Oakland Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can work with some great people and feel like you are helping kids.

Cons

Slow to get anything done. no chance to move up. No chance to get a raise unless you get a Masters degree.

11. "Bad company"

Pros

Easy to get in to

Cons

No rarely people get promoted

Advice to Management

Quit