Oakland Unified School District Reviews in Oakland, CA | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2017

Oakland, CA

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • strong professional development, affordable health care coverage, newly negotiated contracts, increased salary (in 5 reviews)

• The benefits package is excellent, especially the CALSTRS pension program (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, large HR that moves slowly and makes mistakes, school culture determines happiness level (in 3 reviews)

• Zero mentorship support for new teachers who leave and are replaced by more (in 3 reviews)

1. "Dedicated to our students but falls short at times in providing conditions to retain teachers."

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Unified School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Particular site has helpful admin and I'm constantly surrounded by 100% focused and dedicated staff and teachers. We are truly in it for the kids!

Cons

Though the benefits are great, it's hard when we all work as hard as we do and don't get compensated to match our work, however that's the case for teachers everywhere.

2. "Special Education Teacher"

Former Employee - SDC Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - SDC Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Unified School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a large district so you could move to other schools or even positions that are promotional jobs, a better site, or outside of the classroom.

You can get in fairly easily, get your experience and move on to another district that pays better.

Cons

While Human Resources personnel are very nice. It is like they have multiple players doing this and that; one ropes you into the job, then all of a sudden, you have an entirely new person emailing you. I had more than two I was dealing with one after another.
    Beware, you may get placed into a classroom that is total chaos where the teacher before you who had tenure and the district transferred out due to lack of good teaching and control of the class, and is ready to retire. The teacher let the students do whatever they wanted for several months, and then hire someone with very little experience to try to undue the mindset of getting on laptops everyday. The students were ED and I learned that, some should actually be in a non-public school or are one step away...WTH?

Advice to Management

You need to not try to fill a spot and put teachers in a bad situation where the person must decide whether it is worth possibly losing your credential due to having to break your contract.

You need to offer real support from Spec. Ed mgt. that really cares to share their knowledge and not just make an appearance with invaluable tips such as, "pick your battles; let them curse." (But, every day, all day?)

Get real psychologists in the classroom to help with counseling since if it is a "counseling enriched class", not interns worried about "doing their paperwork" and gaining their intern hours who are behind a closed door, or sitting at their table looking at shopping sites, and therefore, checked out and not paying attention, or not in the classroom helping manage the students.

3. "Decentralized Leadership"

Current Employee - Computer Science Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Science Teacher in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Unified School District (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are an experienced teacher, you will enjoy a lot of autonomy

Cons

Teachers aren't paid enough in this country

5. "Lowest paying district in Bay Area"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Oakland, CA

Pros

The kids are great. The work is important.

Cons

The pay is disrespectful. Starting salaries in the 40s.

"Special Education Teachers"

Former Employee - Resource Specialist, Special Day Class Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Resource Specialist, Special Day Class Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Unified School District (More than 8 years)

Pros

dedicated employees, loving students, health benefits package, ability to launch new school initiatives (if desired)

Cons

Advice to Management

work on retaining talented, motivated teachers by valuing them instead of assuming they are at fault for failing test scores

7. "Nice Public Service Job"

Former Freelancer - Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Freelancer - Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Unified School District (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Public Service Job. Good organization.

Cons

Hard to deal with the general public sometimes.

8. "Adult Education Teacher - Computer & GED"

Former Employee - Adult Ed Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Adult Ed Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Unified School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay was good, the union is strong. The people are great! The administrators were very good. I enjoyed my stay here, working with the students was a very satisfying experience.

Cons

They have layoffs from time to time, but when they hire, they will bring back those that were laid off.

Advice to Management

Support the administrators that support the teaching staff. Push technology more throughout the district, especially among teachers. Provide training opportunities for teaching staff in technology.

"Intervention Specilaist"

Current Employee - Intervention Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Intervention Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Unified School District (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule also feels good to help students with disability.

Cons

No benefits and no job security.

Advice to Management

They should give opportunity of full time schedule to the part timers since that service is on high demand.

10. "OUSD"

Current Employee - Resource Specialist Program Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Resource Specialist Program Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Unified School District (More than 5 years)

Pros

The kids are amazing! Some of the staff are great to work with at the school site.

Cons

Pay scale is out dated.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees on the front lines.

11. "fsa1"

Current Employee - Food Service in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service in Oakland, CA

Pros

I've always loved Children and its been a dream come true

Cons

Poor management of funds provide healthcare to its employees.

Advice to Management

Put the money into the children's education not into the pockets of upper management Provide healthcare to the employees make employees permanent after 3 months not 5yrs 6months.