Oakley Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is moving Oakley to resemble their other companies and brands (in 20 reviews)

• Low Pay, can be stressful at times (in 14 reviews)

1. "Oakley Vault Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Oakley part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Oakley do 4+ years. I applied while I was doing pre-reds for nursing school, and here I am, years later, just now hired at my first nursing job. Throughout my schooling I have been able to work a very flexible schedule, as my classes and clinical changes every week. Management has changed multiple times while I have been employeed, but as long as I kept my schedule printed and I worked with the manager at the time, they would work with me to get the best schedule possible. I temporally worked as a Sales Lead (though associate and lead are now called something different) which I really liked. It is not too stressful, it was a management position, so I got to be more helpful to the store then just selling, it was just too many hours with school. I have been very thankful to work for Oakley and will continue to do so at the minimum I can, because I love Oakley!

Cons

I have loved the brand and product for years prior to becoming an employee, and I would imagine with anywhere you work, you get a perspective you didn't have before. These last few years, the company that owns Oakley has made a lot of changes, many of which has caused employees to leave from corporate, and even the stores. Luxoccita honestly is more of a monopoly, so the changes were bound to happen because they own the Oakley brand, but as long as you can go with the flow, and not take changes personally, then it is not too bad.

Advice to Management

Being in AZ, and working for this company for 4 years, we just got our pay "raised" to minimum wage ($10 an hour). It is frustrating as an employee having experience and now making as much, if not less, then those who are getting hired on at minimum or more. We have been told that there will be a means of making this change worth it to the few long term employees, but will not know if that is something until it actually happens. Also, there have been a lot of employees between multiple stores looking to progress through the levels of management, though I have seen a lot of new employees hired from outside companies for those positions. I think the experience from employees who love the company they work for instead of those just looking for the place with the better pay will make better management options.

"Review for formerly Oakley (now Luxicotta)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Great team.

Cons

Hard for females to advance -- unless hired from outside. Year-to-year salary increases are very low (less than inflation 3%) -even when you meet/exceed your yearly goals.

3. "Oakley retail"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Hourly pay not salary so they don't work you to death. Relaxed environment. Comfortable work attire, wear the clothing or just dress appropriately. Be yourself/be unique

Cons

Pressure to meet goals; but that is with ANY retail job, not just here. Standards change Way to frequently, confusing for the employee

Advice to Management

Keep it fun

5. "Good Team Environment, Mediocre Commission Structure"

I worked at Oakley part-time

Pros

Fun team environment and generally relaxed attitudes

Cons

Commission structure based on monthly sales of total store vs sales target makes sense from a corporate structure but leaves employees with meager extra earnings. Oakley employees will quickly tell customers "..and we're not on commission!" which isn't entirely true. Customers aren't ignorant enough to believe that employees don't want to sell them product, so the facade seems unnecessary, and altogether unhelpful.

"It's personally costs you a fortune to be an outside sales rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like being self employed. Good for the self-driven.

Cons

Lots of expenses. None covered. Buy own samples. Super expensive.

Advice to Management

Sales reps need to be made employees. Independent contractor status only benefits Oakley/Luxottica by avoiding having to pay benefits and other employment costs. Company is very male-driven, and the women hired at the corporate office are often 20-30 yrs. old. There is definitely a "type" that gets hired there.

"Great While it lasted"

I worked at Oakley full-time

Pros

Perks were amazing, Employees and, Accounts were great.

Cons

Downsized due to the Parent Company LUX

Advice to Management

Let Oakley Run as its own company again, Sales will increase

8. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Oakley part-time

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, employee benefits, and management.

Cons

A lot of product to remember.

"Opportunities"

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get job, will hire anyone, great stepping stone in the line of manufacturing and optics, product discounts, employee gatherings, raffles at times, easy to learn, 401k plan, O+ clinic.

Cons

Pay is not that great, management inner circles, doing 3 jobs at once at times, management only sees mistakes, health care plan isn't great, HR not very active, Luxottica HR even worse, schedule not always told on time, days off are hard to get,

Advice to Management

Employees are your number 1. Listen to them. Look for employees that want to grow. Appreciate hard work and don't just look at mistakes. Make HR do their job.

10. "Great Firm"

I worked at Oakley part-time

Pros

Very strong staff that wants to help you move through your career. Gave many opportunities for advancement. Would recommend to friends or family

Cons

Did not provide much feedback on the day to day level. Must be a self starter and able to motivate on your own. Not much guidance towards where they want to go.

Advice to Management

I would suggest to look more into how your employees are doing on the day to day level. It would do wonders for upper management and the company as a whole.

11. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Great discount on spectacles, and fun employment opportunity. Management is nice, and open minded

Cons

Not much to complain about

Advice to Management

Higher commissions