Oakley Reviews | Glassdoor

Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is moving Oakley to resemble their other companies and brands (in 20 reviews)

• At the moment there is a tense atmosphere because of the integration with the parent Company (Luxottica) (in 16 reviews)

1. "Sales Lead"

Pros

Great discount and it's an easy job

Cons

Lack of passion from other employees

"Culture Died"

Former Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley (More than a year)

Pros

Many before the company was taken over by LUX

Cons

Corporate Culture has died, once a place of no worries and a lot of fun. Work Hard and Play Hard. No Longer.

Advice to Management

Sell back to Jim.

3. "It was OK with the staff I was HIRED with"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cabazon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cabazon, CA

I worked at Oakley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free clothes every 3-9 months. Try on clothes and glasses

Cons

Not very good at training in any way shape or form

Advice to Management

Teach a class on loss prevention and what to look for

"Great place to begin at, but not so good after that."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

•Will give anyone and I mean anyone a job.

•Some of the workers are very helpful when new comers are learning the ropes.

•Employee Discount is awesome.

•O+ on-site clinic was amazing. (Too bad the Doctor has left.) The two nurses are still awesome.

•401k and Medical Benefits were good. (Pre-2017 I heard they're changing)

•Casual Dress Code.

•On-site 24 Hour Gym.

Cons

•Parking is absolutely dreadful. I mean parking at Disneyland is easier. At least I get a tram ride to the entrance and don't have to walk two blocks to the entrance.

• Do we really have to answer all these questions to clock in. I already spent 5 min walking up the hill and to my designated clock.

•Some of the people that train have no idea what they're doing; and before you know it you're flying solo good luck.

•Takes management an eternity to get people the network credentials they need to work.

•Special Employees can get away with being on Reddit all day because they're are cool with the boss/lead/supervisor.

•No one notices that you're performing the job of two or three people at once, until you make a mistake.

•Submit time off requests 6 months in advanced: "Too early to approve"

•Submit time requests 2 weeks in advanced:
       "Submitted too late; no one to cover for you"

•Call out sick with an actual sickness they automatically think you're lying. (Even if you have sick days)

•Raises are horrible.

•Security checks you more than the TSA.

•The guys on Reddit can get approved for OT because they're cool with the boss.

•Saturday overtime is mandatory! So don't even asks if it's okay to take the day off.

•Sometimes OT on COMPANY OBSERVED HOLIDAYS IS MANDATORY. (Only give you 4 hours of DT)

• Manufacturing gets to see all the grand parties from the front row.(but never invited)

• You get an adjusted raise because you were a temp for the first 4 weeks of the year.

•Your review is skipped because production is most important.

Advice to Management

•If you would treat people like people maybe you wouldn't need certain temp agencies to hire 30 people a day.

•You can see who works and who slacks off don't turn a blind eye.

•Be more involved with everyone not just the people that in your circle.

• Learn your employees names and who they are. It's slightly disrespectful when your manager of 7 months is trying to read your badge out of the corner of his eye; and still calls you by a wrong name.

•Leads/Supervisors set an example for your employees show them the correct way of doing things instead of just reprimanding them.

"Cowardly Management"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to meet so many interesting people. Nice building and cool product. Great employee discount to buy Christmas gifts.

Cons

I would say that Management needs to go back to school, seminars or any sort of training and learned how to treat their employees. Some managers run their teams in the most cowardly ways, without listening to them or actually give them any direction as they are more lost then anybody. It's more of a ego competition, "I'm the boss, listen to me I'm right your not." So many valuable, bright individuals have left the company in the last year do to the poor acts of management. The discontent can be seen in everyone's faces, the lack of aptitude to lead teams is the conversation on a daily basis everywhere in the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams and take better care of your employees. Study your Management approaches and change what's wrong with it or whom is wrong.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Manager in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley full-time

Pros

Pros:
    Management - The newer leadership are some of the most talented I have worked with.
    Benefits - 70% discount on sunglasses (they're still making a hefty profit... think of that next time you pay $200+ for your glasses).
    Worklife balance - For those who still show up to work, at 10AM, they have very flexible hours. Think some actually stay past 4PM.

Watching all of these talented people leaving to better paying jobs at companies that will respect them.

Cons

Cons:
    Management - I have not seem more incompentence at the SVP & C-level. Running this company as if it was the '80's. The Colin (no longer CEO) was uninspiring, hated the heritage styles that made this company. They wanted to hide their "MADE IN THE USA" brand was now made in China, versus being open about it. Customers are not stupid!
    Benefits - Now that Luxottica is taking over, everything is going out the door. The company owns their own Vision insurance, but will not give it to their employees.
    Financials - This is a company that has turned a cash cow into a hemorrhaging beast. It's like watching a sinking ship.

Watching all of the remaining talented people left looking for a job in a region where the pickings are slim.

Advice to Management

Just like RayBan, you ran the company into the ground... lets hope you can build it back up.

"Oakley is long gone"

Pros

It used to be an amazing place to work, but no more. If you don't mind a generic corporate job, where the people mean nothing and products are boring, you may be happy here.

Cons

The pathetic attempt by luxottica leaders to still act like this is a great place to work is crazy. There is no culture, no sense of loyalty, and no real reason to work here. Everyone is getting laid off, and anyone who is left to pick up the pieces is probably next on the chopping block.

"Worst company to work for!"

Former Employee - Manager in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount: 50% off retail prices and then another 40% off of that for Oakley eyewear. Discounts on other products as well.
    Not all but many employees are friendly and easy to talk to.

Cons

Lowest morale I've ever seen at any company because of layoffs and high turnovers. Someone leaving every week it seems like.
    Decline in innovative design and products due to poor relationship between Oakley business leaders and parent company Luxxiotica.
    Lack of leadership and management capability, especially within Manufacturing and Engineering departments.
    First company I've worked for where employee safety was not a priority even though they say it is.
    It's disgusting to know that employees are treated differently here. For example, shop floor employees are not allowed at most company functions unless it's an event held specifically for that team.
    Culture is one of finger-pointing due to fear of being reprimanded like a child by management.
    Lack of respect for each other's time and many wasted hours spent discussing problems but no time dedicated to fixing them.
    Awful pay when compared to similar companies with leadership even admitting to it. Benefits are standard.
    There is a cafeteria that serves hot and cold food but the prices are pretty high. Most people go out to eat during lunch.
    Many employees are under so much pressure that they become difficult to work with. Environment can feel toxic.
    Not all but some employees are unprofessional since work culture and environment encourages it. This type of behavior is often left unchecked.

Advice to Management

Stop talking and start doing. Clear out the bad eggs and bring in better leadership.

"Used to be a good comapny to work for not anymore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

Pros

-Good discount on oakley products
    - Good work environment

Cons

-Layoffs
    - Not clear on direction by Luxotica
    -No room to grow

Advice to Management

Please be honest and let employees know how many rounds of layoff are going to happen.

"I wouldn't burden my worst enemy with a job here"

Pros

Discount, commute, knowing you'll never work at a worst place

Cons

No IT department (I have 5 month old tickets), took me weeks to get a desk phone, some new hires are without computers for weeks, nothing works, recruiter who brought me in got axed a month in, they fired our president 2 weeks ago (gave him 3 hours to clean out his office and GTFO). Sales are sucking, no motivation, stupid tables instead of cubicles/offices, 10 year old computers that blue screen, yahoo fantasy sports is blocked, too many restrictions on computer setting (can't even update JAVA), they pay production very low, no vision from management, delusional who surround themselves with yes people, from what I've seen at least one person a week quits

Advice to Management

chill out, we're a high margin company with a premium product, quit trying to turn this into a streamlined cash-cow. Too many different models/colors to mass produce, and VPs should stop parking in visitor parking, you set a great example.