Oakley Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is moving Oakley to resemble their other companies and brands (in 20 reviews)

• Low Pay, can be stressful at times (in 14 reviews)

1. "Oakley Vault Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Oakley part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Oakley do 4+ years. I applied while I was doing pre-reds for nursing school, and here I am, years later, just now hired at my first nursing job. Throughout my schooling I have been able to work a very flexible schedule, as my classes and clinical changes every week. Management has changed multiple times while I have been employeed, but as long as I kept my schedule printed and I worked with the manager at the time, they would work with me to get the best schedule possible. I temporally worked as a Sales Lead (though associate and lead are now called something different) which I really liked. It is not too stressful, it was a management position, so I got to be more helpful to the store then just selling, it was just too many hours with school. I have been very thankful to work for Oakley and will continue to do so at the minimum I can, because I love Oakley!

Cons

I have loved the brand and product for years prior to becoming an employee, and I would imagine with anywhere you work, you get a perspective you didn't have before. These last few years, the company that owns Oakley has made a lot of changes, many of which has caused employees to leave from corporate, and even the stores. Luxoccita honestly is more of a monopoly, so the changes were bound to happen because they own the Oakley brand, but as long as you can go with the flow, and not take changes personally, then it is not too bad.

Advice to Management

Being in AZ, and working for this company for 4 years, we just got our pay "raised" to minimum wage ($10 an hour). It is frustrating as an employee having experience and now making as much, if not less, then those who are getting hired on at minimum or more. We have been told that there will be a means of making this change worth it to the few long term employees, but will not know if that is something until it actually happens. Also, there have been a lot of employees between multiple stores looking to progress through the levels of management, though I have seen a lot of new employees hired from outside companies for those positions. I think the experience from employees who love the company they work for instead of those just looking for the place with the better pay will make better management options.

2. "Oakley retail"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Hourly pay not salary so they don't work you to death. Relaxed environment. Comfortable work attire, wear the clothing or just dress appropriately. Be yourself/be unique

Cons

Pressure to meet goals; but that is with ANY retail job, not just here. Standards change Way to frequently, confusing for the employee

Advice to Management

Keep it fun

3. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Oakley part-time

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, employee benefits, and management.

Cons

A lot of product to remember.

5. "Great Firm"

I worked at Oakley part-time

Pros

Very strong staff that wants to help you move through your career. Gave many opportunities for advancement. Would recommend to friends or family

Cons

Did not provide much feedback on the day to day level. Must be a self starter and able to motivate on your own. Not much guidance towards where they want to go.

Advice to Management

I would suggest to look more into how your employees are doing on the day to day level. It would do wonders for upper management and the company as a whole.

6. "Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, awesome people, location and culture. Great perks

Cons

Shift in the business and uncertainity

Advice to Management

Keep the jobs local!

7. "Sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Oakley part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the people that work in Oakley is great. Really regardless of why you originally took the job there, everyone works for the same goal. The casual dress every day is great!

Cons

Since luxottica took over A LOT is changing. Oakley and the core values will remain the same but products and various business aspects have changed and will continue to change.

8. "Great Company"

Pros

- Casual Dress
    - Great Benefits
    - Great coworkers
    - Company has good bonuses and incentives

Cons

- Decent pay but nothing great (benefits and discount make up for it)

Advice to Management

Keeping doing what makes Oakley a great and unique company. Nothing beats the atmosphere at Oakley and what the company believes in.

9. "Payroll Analyst"

Former Employee - Payroll Analyst/Payroll Lead in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll Analyst/Payroll Lead in Dallas, TX

I worked at Oakley (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent management and team environment!

Cons

The lay off process was not professional.

10. "Awesome Intern Experience at Oakley"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Oakley as an intern

Pros

I was extremely lucky to work at Oakley after my first year at college! They hired me through my career fair after I toured and interviewed at the headquarters. Pros include:
    -Fantastic employee discount. Interns get the full discount.
    -Cool people. Lots of surfers and bikers work at the company.
    -Really helpful and kind coworkers

Cons

-They don't hire too many interns (around 10), so there's not really a group of interns to hang out with or even live with
    -They don't help with finding housing at all, which is especially difficult and expensive if you don't have a car.

Advice to Management

Help out the interns with housing! Or provide some housing stipend to the interns that cannot live at home.

11. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best benefits of working here are all the discounts you get and all the connections to awesome events (and rad people) you are pushed into. I had the chance to meet everyone from Coco Ho to John Florence and everyone was super awesome.

Cons

Downsides included having to deal with the general day to day operations of running a retail outlet, especially hiring employees who knew the brand and target audience that were clean from weed and knew what the trends were. Dealing with some of the foreign clientele got irritating after a while as well.

Advice to Management

Have more events that all of the staff can come to, it would've helped my crew if they were able to go to more cool events which would've kept moral up for the whole team.