Oakwood Systems Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Oakwood Systems Group President & CEO Charles Windsor
Charles Windsor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Once awesome place is being driven in to the ground"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great people work at Oakwood. Competitive base pay. Great work life balance, I've never seen anyone forced in to overtime or weekends.

Cons

The business is spiraling out of control. A lot of the best talent has left at an alarming rate. Sales team isn't able to land good projects, so most employees are working staff augmentation or being pushed on to projects with a miss match skill set. The benefits are the worst I've ever seen in my career. Health insurance is a joke, it's cheaper to get insurance on the open market than through the company. 401k is matched based on company discretion for yearly numbers, so it hasn't been matched in years. Culture used to be great but has a massive void now due to high levels of turnover.

Advice to Management

Charles needs to become more hands off. Oakwood has lost several clients due to him being too pushy and making empty promises. Staff augmentation is a fine model, but when you promise employees project based work and then staff aug them to a random client, there's discontent. Employees are your number 1 asset, they need to be treated as such. As long as the benefits are terrible it will be incredibly difficult to get and retain talent in this competitive market.

2. "Truly World Class Talent"

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. People are smart, hard working, and friendly.
    2. Compensation is above average.
    3. Interesting projects to work on.

Cons

1. Health insurance plan leaves something to be desired (though this is offset by salary).
    2. This market is getting saturated. However I would still recommend taking a job here over 90% of companies.

Advice to Management

Management is not not a problem here. But it would be nice to have more opportunities to work on entrepreneurial projects. Lots of companies are starting to allow "passion projects" on the clock. With so much tech talent here, I bet amazing things could come of a program like this. Plus, the consulting business has so many ups and downs, you would probably never lose any profitability.

"Management not in tune with the talent"

Former Employee - Managed Services Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Managed Services Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group (Less than a year)

Pros

The technical talent and company recruiters are top notch. It is I.T. consulting so you can have intelligent conversations with all of your I.T. peers. You also get exposure to many different parts of the I.T. world. You can be an administrator and work side by side with a senior developer so you can get on the job cross training. It really makes your resume look good.

Cons

Management is 100% out of touch with their employees. Specifically first line supervisors are the root cause for the company's extremely high turnover rate.
    They try to correlate hours spent in front of a keyboard into profit margins. The majority of the managers had spent the last ten to fifteen years working for a company like Sprint or AT&T. During their time there they learned the only leadership style that was used at those organizations which is toxic leadership.
    Passive aggressive towards I.T. talent, lying, telling I.T. talent that they will receive a bonus for working more billable hours and then never paying them.
           The medical insurance has also gone down hill in an attempt to save the company money. They only offer an HSA plan now.

Advice to Management

My advice to the Charles is that he needs to gut the lower and middle management on the managed services team in order to hit the culture reset button. You will continue to experience high turnover until the toxic leadership is purged from your ranks.

"Questionable billing practices. No accountability. Intellectually dishonest. Ambiguous language. Unconscionable."

Former Employee - BI Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - BI Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're fine with everything in the review title -- you'll fit right in and have a great career ahead of you. That aside, there are some great people there -- it's just that their leaders are unworthy of them.

Cons

There is no measure for my disgust in what this company represents. I thought I came to a place where excellence was demanded, but instead I saw shoddy workmanship, poor leadership, little direction, sloppy communication, a vastly unqualified contractor that Oakwood knew was unfit for the job -- but they kept collecting billing on him anyway (until the client rightly booted him).

For expressing my views I was fired (this -- coming after I spent a week working day and night to help them out on an urgent situation with another client). Even that was another fiasco -- it was just one Charlie Foxtrot after another (which speaks volumes for only being there a few months). Naturally, they say it's all about my manner (an increasingly common tactic by those who will do anything to evade accountability). It's the classic case of someone calling out the elephant in the room -- but instead of addressing the patently obvious, they call the questioner into question. I was hired as a remote consultant -- and yet these people put me in the position of having to defend the very arrangement under which I was hired (coming up with ridiculous rationalizations to defend the indefensible).

I would add that I share some culpability in our failed project for the client. It was not a position that I was well-suited for (except for the technical part -- but we never got to that stage of the project). The point is that it's extremely rare that someone's criticism would include their own role in the failure, but an honest accounting of events has to include all those involved -- which is exactly what they refuse to do on their part. They see themselves as a bastion of innocence -- and that alone should tell you something.

Advice to Management

"The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." — Socrates

"Good company with some struggles"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and flexible work environment. Minimal travel for consulting firm which is great. Pretty good pay. Management is mostly accessible. Open knowledge sharing is a regular occurrence. You can basically choose your path of focus and management support you. You're encouraged to learn and grow and you do get recognized for your efforts and achievements if you do.

Cons

Business has been down for a while. Quality work hasn't been getting signed. Lot's of good talent has left the company and hasn't been replaced. There has also been somewhat high turnover in the management team which is concerning.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees about the welfare of the company. Let the teams know when/why people leave the organization, especially when it's a member of the management team. Get focused back on being a go-to partner for Microsoft and do whatever necessary to get them sending business back your way.

"Architect"

Current Employee - Integration Architect in Town and Country, MO
    Current Employee - Integration Architect in Town and Country, MO

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The consulting firm has been 100% local projects
    Collaborate with other developers with our team
    Great work life balance

Cons

Constant changing of projects rarely allows the consultant to see the project through the entire development life cycle
    Work 30% of time on selling our services

Advice to Management

Allow architects to be less billable and work on building the sales pipeline with design/implementation expertise.

"Not a healthy place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a way to expand your technical skill-set, then Oakwood has something to offer. They work on good projects that will expose you to a lot of growth opportunities.

Cons

They really have no interest in the health\balance of their employees. They view their people as resources to be used, burnt out, then replaced. You will work long hours, be asked to come in early\stay late for meetings, and will not be offered anything in return.

Advice to Management

Re-think the way you treat your employees. They are the face of your organization to the customer.

"Disappointing"

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was offered a very good starting salary with some decent benefits. Plus my phone cost was expedience off as well.

Cons

Was highly encouraged to work extra hours with out any additional pay. When i worked at customer sites I felt I was sitting in an island with out any assistance available for me to use.

9. "Fun people to work with, but stressful environment."

Pros

Employees are very intelligent and skilled.

Cons

Company morale is low, seems like its the "regular" employees vs upper management. Professional worth is based upon percentage of billable hours.

"Decent consulting firm"

Pros

Talented employees, decent pay rates.

Cons

"Sink or swim" mentality. Every man for themselves.