Oakwood Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Ahearn

Pros
  • Oakwood emphasizes outstanding customer service at every level of its organization (in 6 reviews)

• Great people and company culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No Leadership, no direction, no training (in 5 reviews)

• Until recently, company was bloated with ineffective supervisors and managers (in 3 reviews)

1. "Spirit of Hospitality"

Current Employee - Sourcer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sourcer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Spirit of Hospitality permeates everything at Oakwood. Oakwood emphasizes outstanding customer service at every level of its organization. The people are great and I enjoy coming to work everyday. The Spirit Committee plans lots of cool activities especially for the 4th of July and Halloween. There is a lot of room for growth and I was cross-trained in additional duties as I asked for it.

Cons

Everyone can feel the pressure during our busy season in the summer. Sometimes the workload seems stressful.

2. "Home office employee"

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The number one pros with Oakwood is the people. People here are extremely friendly and helpful. This company has great longevity with its employees, it is a sign that people really like to work here. Outside of great opportunities to grow and develop with this company, there are also a lot of fun. Halloween and 4th of July are for example big events with Oakwood and there is a Spirit Committee that puts together different fun and meaningful events throughout the year.

Cons

So far I haven't experienced too many cons with the company. It is somewhat a traditional company that is, like many other companies today, trying to catch up on some new things in this ever changing environment but there is a will to do it which is encouraging. Change can be a little slow maybe to some people, but that is pretty much it.

3. "The associates really care"

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ good benefits
    + overtime in the summer
    + caring managers

Cons

+ long hours
    + can be stressful

5. "Great People and Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

helpful team, selling perks, good corporate company with benefits

Cons

some property issues, big workload

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and fine co-workers.

Cons

Technology is so far behind with little or no leadership at the top. Programs are 20+ years old and existing management has no clue on how to move forward. Hopefully with the buyout IT can progress or be taken over by Singapore HQ.

Advice to Management

With a new leader - a critical eye to Technology to help the Sales Team sell.

7. "Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great commission, work and life balance, incentive awards,

Cons

Management allowed outside sales reps to take accounts from inside reps that started producing.

8. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Could be a great Company.

Cons

seniority vs performance. seniority wins everytime. Open door policy is trap. I lost my job after going to my supervisors boss explaining how difficult the person was to work with. Instead of looking at ones positive performance at work they were constantly looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily. The department I worked had a complete lack of organization and management. My advice Don’t waste your time at Oakwood and start looking for a job at another company with better management.

Advice to Management

People Leave Managers, Not Companies

"Good company if you're ok with change and have patience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very personable leadership, great benefits, entrepreneurial culture, management welcomes new ideas and ways to improve processes.

Cons

Lots of change going on, very few leaders managing company with more leaving, very hard for decisions to be made in order to continue forward progress. Behind in technology.

Advice to Management

Hire more departmental heads, or promote from within. Need to spread the responsibilities.

10. "Not the same company it used to be"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Howard Ruby is an amazing man. He created an amazing company with a strong sense of family and commitment to each other.

Cons

Lack of strong management, confusing vision, stopped caring about the people and only focused on the bottom line. It's become an "us and them" company with no commitment to the employees, no sense of family.

"Heading toward the Icebergs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule (asynchronous), flexible work location (work from home / remotely in some cases), advancement opportunities (although see below for the labyrinth to get there), great working relations with immediate supervisors

Cons

Since the departure or firing of the company President and several SVPs, the owner/founder of the business has taken over the day to day responsibilities of running a global company. You'd think the person who created the industry could run the show, but at his advanced age (the company has been around for 54 years... do the math) and with a mindset that harkens back to the "Good Ol' Days" of the 80s, the company is no longer poised for successful or commanding presence in the global market. Average tenure is 10+ years, meaning people are rutted into their jobs and regard change as disruptive to their siloed worlds. New, desirable job openings are few and far between, with international postings completely off the table since last year.
    With managers and VPs scrambling to make the Old Man happy, we've lost sight of the vision we had for the future, and instead run at near full speed toward the icebergs (competitors).

Advice to Management

The simplest, most important lesson that is so often overlooked - it's not ALL about you, Mr. Ruby. The company needs to grow organically as it once did, and the methods of yesteryear won't get us to tomorrow. Stop firing or driving away those who can and WANT to take the whole company on the quantum leap forward. You cannot do it all yourself, or with the close cohort of "yes men" (mostly women, actually) posing as VPs these days. Fearing for their own jobs, they make no decisive moves that position us for success for another 50 years, instead preferring to "kick the can" into the next year, budgetary cycle, or whenever, as long as nothing inflammatory is discussed or promoted.