Obiter Research Research Chemist Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Chad L. Boulanger
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Only for very competent, driven people."

Current Employee - Senior Research Chemist in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Research Chemist in Champaign, IL

Pros

There is a high diversity of chemistry that changes frequently, so it is pretty interesting work.
    One learns a lot that they don't teach in school, like kilo-scale and process chemistry. A good place to get training.
    Management is very safety oriented, accommodates personal issues, promotes a positive environment, and extracurricular activities. Their attention to following the OSHA rules is a lot better than other companies of the same size.
    The other employees make a very good pool of expertise. The company is currently made up of a pretty good bunch of people, and is small enough to have a family feel.
    You feel like what you do really does make a difference.
    The company is located in a very low cost of living area.

Cons

Jobs are mostly contracted with a deadline, so there is pressure to complete on time and under budget.
    The company is relatively small, so the impact of a co-worker with a poor work ethic drags on everyone else. There are currently no such people here.
    The pay is lower than research PhD's in the big Pharmaceutical companies.
    The work is very demanding, because we are figuring out how to do things on the fly. You really have to like doing this kind of thing to be here. If you don't have a solid work ethic, you won't last long.
    The company specializes in hard things to do. That means we have to figure out how to do it. It's hard.

Advice to Management

The contract work is interesting but hard and stressful because we are first finding out whether things work, but under a time constraint. We hope that the management will find a line of products that gives us some measure of predictability in what has to be done. While salaries have improved a bit in recent years, they are still a far cry from what the big companies are offering. We have been told that salaries will improve if we have regular products. We'd like to see the management follow through on the promise when we get some. We'd like to see a 401 K or some other retirement plan established.

2. "Obiter Research"

Former Employee - Senior Research Chemist in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Research Chemist in Champaign, IL

Pros

Great place for a first job. The owner was always willing to help and discuss solutions to synthesis problems. Great co-workers.

Cons

Benefits could be better, but understandable for a small company. No 401K