Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Bradley Lytle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Hard work does pay off"

I worked at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time

Pros

Casual Fridays are always nice. The firm rewards hard work and, even if you don't think there is a position that you can move into, it would not be new for the firm to create a new position to let you know that they appreciate the work that you do. Teams are encouraged so if though you are expected to work hard, deadlines are often shared and distributed evenly. Medical, Dental, Vision and 401K

Cons

The management is becoming increasingly driven by money and productivity, which is losing the personal touch that the firm used to have. Even when they try to do things for the staff, the people with the most responsibility, who really need the breaks and treats, are typically too busy to be a part of it.

2. "Working at Oblon"

Current Employee - Patent Secretary in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Patent Secretary in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Oblon for 8 1/2 years and would have still been there had it not been for a totally unexpected layoff of my entire department. We weren't even allowed to go back to our desks to retrieve personal items after our layoff meeting in HR. I was completely devastated by the lack of compasion in this situation especially after my long tenure, loyalty and deidcation to this firm. It was unfair. Now, my tenure there was great, I had an amazing attorney, and I made friendships that were more like family. I was treated with fairness and respect my entire time there up until the layoff. After one of the senior attorney's passed away, it seemed like Oblon started to spiral downwards in the moral department and the firm started to become more mechanical.

Cons

I really can't say anything bad about the firm. I loved working there and I would have still been there if it were not for the unfortunate layoff.

Advice to Management

If you plan to lay folks off, consider giving them more notice than a couple of hours. You are putting people's livlihoods in jeprody and those that have shown loyalty to the firm for many years deserve a lot more respect than that.

3. "Ok Starter Job, Gain Experience and Leave"

Former Employee - Junior IP Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Junior IP Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of the staff (attorneys and IPs) are easy to work with. HR and the building plans nice events.

Cons

Beginning salary was low compared to other patent firms. Unless you applied for an internal promotion (which I did and received it), you will stay at your original no matter how hard you work. I had to threaten to leave, before they wanted to compensate for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your hard working employees and you will have less turnover, as well as happier employees.

"Great firm"

Current Employee - IP Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - IP Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location is great, outside DC and still metro accessible. Parking is much more reasonable than D.C. firms. Both attorneys and staff are nice and approachable. The templates are great. There is a lot of work and if you prefer being busy, this is a good place. Overall, a great, stable, reputable IP firm to work for.

Cons

Some internal procedures but I believe the firm is trying to make some changes. Training could be more structured/streamlined but again, everyone is very helpful if you have questions.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working at Oblon.

"They're really good at first, but not something I would want to continue"

Current Employee - Formalities Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Formalities Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly there's not a lot, but, some of the people are really nice to work with. It's in a good location.

Cons

If the people aren't great, they're awful. A lot of them are really shady and will rat you out for anything no matter what. Not any room for growth. Parking is really expensive, and no matter what they say, they don't promote from within.

6. "Great Company"

Pros

Loved my time with Oblon. Friendly staff and great work environment. Also in a great location. Plenty of opportunities to grow.

Cons

I can't say anything bad about the company. The salary isn't great, but it's not bad either. Other than that, no complaints.

"Use This Place As Your Stepping Stone...Before They Step On You!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Annual Christmas bonus and location. If you came looking for more, sorry to disappoint you. Once upon a time the best thing going for this company was health benefits and longevity "perks". Health premiums have gone way up and what you get has been stripped down. The longevity incentives are pretty bare bones as well now days.

Cons

The pay is the WORST in the area! You'd think with all the rapid turnover, they would invest in their current employees more. Hardly no room for growth. They overwork you and want to and don't appreciate it one bit. Training is none existent, you pretty much learn as go from making mistakes. Many of the supervisors are incompetent. Don't bother bringing problems to them or even some of the higher ups because they will just fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Stop being so cheap and cutting back on everything. An overhaul is needed from top to bottom with staff. If you treat your employees better the moral will be much higher n the company...For some unbeknownst reason there are many people that want to stay and be loyal to a company they invested so many years in.

8. "Associate"

I worked at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time

Pros

Collegial environment, seasoned intellectual property professionals, and excellent training.

Cons

Starting salaries and bonuses lag behind other firms.

"Slightly better than part-time work"

Current Employee - Administrative Position
    Current Employee - Administrative Position

I have been working at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time

Pros

The office generally follows the federal government on closures.

Cons

Bare bones benefits. CRAZY high bimonthly (not even monthly!) insurance premiums. No 401 k match. Little to no interaction with management. Extremely unhelpful HR department (surprising since they take up half a floor!) Embarrassingly low salaries. VERY expensive monthly parking rate, which went up again recently. A lot of rude people around the office. Maybe this factor is typical of legal environments, but everyone here has a very get-what's-mine attitude and isn't at all interesting in fostering positive office relationships.

Advice to Management

The reason seven attorneys all quit at once and went to another firm was that the benefits and salaries at Oblon are abysmal. The firm frequently boasts that it's the top patent firm in the USA, which makes it even more hideous that they pay their staff so poorly. My advice to management is to stop being so greedy and to pay living wages, and my advice to anyone looking to work here is to hold out for something else.

"No more than an entry-level position - leave as soon as you gain enough practical experience"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt full-time

Pros

In general, the more senior staff members are very helpful and knowledgeable. Partners have an open-door policy and quite willing and available to mentor and train. Overall collegial environment. There's always work for you to keep you busy - just ask.

Cons

Most partners there are Oblon-lifers, and are complacent, comfortable and have hardly sweated to develop new clients. Most of them have simply "inherited" long-standing foreign clients from retired partners and do "just enough" to keep these clients from going to other firms. Most of these Oblon-lifers know only the name Oblon and have never heard of Finnegan, Knobbe Martens, Wilson Sonsini etc.

But times have changed - the undiscovered market that Norman Oblon discovered 40 years is no longer undiscovered. Oblon faces fierce competition from other strong players in IP and has yet had a strong enough wake-up call to realize that it's not just about volume, volume, volume but also quality patent protection.

Recent efforts in developing new business directions and new client bases have resulted in absolute disaster because the attorneys are simply not competitive and knowledgeable enough. Honest, constructive feedback to management is not appreciated here.

While some staff members have stayed with the firm for over a decade, even over two decades, the loyalty is unfortunately not reciprocated by the upper management of the firm. At-will employment is very much in practice in this firm.

For associates/patent agents and technical advisors, Oblon should be nothing more than an entry-level position, a place for you to get your first law firm experience. Be aware that since the firm has a sweatshop environment and is prone to pigeonholing, skills acquired at the firm may not be readily transferrable to other firms.

Advice to Management

Learn to step down from your pedestal once in a while to listen to what your employees have to say - you'll find we have a lot to educate you than vice versa.