Obsidian Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Obsidian Entertainment Reviews

Updated Aug 5, 2019

Found 27 reviews

3.7
Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart (no image)
Feargus Urquhart

"Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - QA Tester in Irvine, CA

I worked at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture, good pay and great work-life balance.

Cons

There can be frequent layoffs.

Obsidian Entertainment2018-11-16

"Fun Company"

I worked at Obsidian Entertainment full-time

Pros

They appreciate their employees and have fun projects to work on

Cons

No cons just make sure any comments about the projects are constructive, the artists and directors don't take "sound" comments lightly... like "ehh, meh, eesh, umm"

Obsidian Entertainment2017-08-01

"Solid Independent Studio"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Consciencious and humane development tone.

Cons

I seriously can't think of any problems that other studios don't have.

Obsidian Entertainment2017-07-02

"Great place to work"

I worked at Obsidian Entertainment full-time

Pros

A great place to work and they really care about the employees.

Cons

There's honestly not too many things that I had a problem with there. Definitely enjoyed it!

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing employees, but this was in the past and it seems like things have changed.

Obsidian Entertainment2016-09-20

"Awesome people, creative and passionate atmosphere"

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This studio breathes passion and friendliness. When you speak with developers who have just come through the doors to those who have been here for years, they are care. They care about what they do on a day to day basis, to the impact their jobs have to the games they produce, everyone here puts their heart and soul into the project, no matter how crappy the project is the team spirit is there. Everyone on the... management side are so approachable and you never feel like any question is too small to ask. Here, we develop as family and equals.

Cons

Only major downsides that come to mind is that 3 weeks of vacation does not kick in until 5 years, whereas most studios are 2. But the studio can be flexible and work with each persons situation and they close to studio towards the end of the year which gives ample family visiting and travel time, which is so great.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay open-door with all your developers, we appreciate you for it. Thank you for treating everyone equally and representing our voice when we need it. The studio you built has been home for so many, old and new, past and present, and for returning developers.

Obsidian Entertainment2015-12-09

"Fun, Fantastic and Productive"

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, understanding and accommodating work place. Everyone loves their job and wants to see their respective projects succeed. Meetings are informative.

Cons

Things get lost between teams, and for someone who is new to the company it can be difficulty to know where to go or who to turn to for more information regarding hiccups in the process.

Obsidian Entertainment2015-09-29

"Obsidian is filled with people that are passionate about the games they create."

Current Employee - Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparency. Obsidian's owners are very clear and open about that is going on with the studio. Anything from new projects to financial stability. The artists are eager to learn and willing share new techniques and experiences. The absence of "climbing the corporate ladder" is a welcome feeling having come from both of the other "big" corporate studios.

Cons

Minor issues like parking lot locations, not having the newest office furniture or computer hardware come up because of being a cost conscious independent development studio.

Obsidian Entertainment2014-06-17

"Great potential, but pushed around by big publishers"

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture. Casual work environment. Employees are passionate all the way up to the top levels. Management works hard. Employees know their fields.

Cons

In my experience, Obsidian seems to be routinely pushed around by the publishers they work with. This leads to rushed launches and, in some cases, making implementing poor designs because of the publisher's whims.

Obsidian Entertainment2014-06-17

"I look forward to coming to work each day."

Current Employee - Senior Hiring Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for many companies over the years and working at Obsidian Entertainment has become the career I always never knew I wanted. I look forward to going to work everyday, even on the stressful ones. I get to work with true talent. The Owners have always been good to me.

Cons

Being a small developer has its moments where you are waiting for the next project and in all the time I have been at Obsidian that is my one and only con.

Obsidian Entertainment2013-05-30

"Stable work environment and passionate coworkers"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to cut your teeth as a junior entering the industry, or as a intermediate artist looking to grow. People who show initiative are often recognized and promoted. Mandatory "Crunch" is very rare.

Cons

Scope of projects can spiral out of control due to failures at the production level (bad data fed to directors) or project directors with good data making delusional decisions.

Advice to Management

More accountability is needed at the project director level when a project's scope is mismanaged.

Obsidian Entertainment2019-08-06