Obsidian Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Feargus Urquhart

"Solid Independent Studio"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Consciencious and humane development tone.

Cons

I seriously can't think of any problems that other studios don't have.

Obsidian Entertainment2017-07-02

"Great until a game gets canceled."

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Low stress. Good technology and talent.

Cons

Game gets canceled and half the studio is let go.

Advice to Management

Give employees more of a head's up when you know they're going to be let go soon. . .

Obsidian Entertainment2017-03-08

"it is an ok job"

Former Employee - Level Designer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their were a lot of good people here. Decent work life balance Has good places to eat across the street,

Cons

Pay is less then other companies Poor developer to publisher relations Prone to yearly layoffs No bonuses Very little room for advancement Entrenched management so no upward mobility

Advice to Management

RPG's are what you are good at. Make them. Don't branch out into genres you know nothing about. Avoid rampant growth. The company is a bubble that keeps bursting over and over again.

Obsidian Entertainment2017-01-28

"Great place to work"

I worked at Obsidian Entertainment full-time

Pros

A great place to work and they really care about the employees.

Cons

There's honestly not too many things that I had a problem with there. Definitely enjoyed it!

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing employees, but this was in the past and it seems like things have changed.

Obsidian Entertainment2016-09-20

"Awesome people, creative and passionate atmosphere"

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This studio breathes passion and friendliness. When you speak with developers who have just come through the doors to those who have been here for years, they are care. They care about what they do on a day to day basis, to the impact their jobs have to the games they produce, everyone here puts their heart and soul into the project, no matter how crappy the project is the team spirit is there. Everyone on the management...

Cons

Only major downsides that come to mind is that 3 weeks of vacation does not kick in until 5 years, whereas most studios are 2. But the studio can be flexible and work with each persons situation and they close to studio towards the end of the year which gives ample family visiting and travel time, which is so great.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay open-door with all your developers, we appreciate you for it. Thank you for treating everyone equally and representing our voice when we need it. The studio you built has been home for so many, old and new, past and present, and for returning developers.

Obsidian Entertainment2015-12-09

"Fun, Fantastic and Productive"

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, understanding and accommodating work place. Everyone loves their job and wants to see their respective projects succeed. Meetings are informative.

Cons

Things get lost between teams, and for someone who is new to the company it can be difficulty to know where to go or who to turn to for more information regarding hiccups in the process.

Obsidian Entertainment2015-09-29

"Obsidian Programmer"

Current Employee - Programmer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers, and I have yet to experience any extreme crunch. The owners are all very nice people, and they give plenty of vacation time around the holidays.

Cons

A little stressful at times due to deadlines, but nothing extreme. That's something you'll find at any game company. I also wish I had negotiated a little more for a higher salary, since I'm a bit underpaid for the average at my experience level. I do wish we got a little more sick time, too. It's pretty standard for the U.S., but I know that some people had to take vacation time or go unpaid when they get really sick...

Advice to Management

Management is very down to earth and approachable, which is much appreciated. My only suggestion would be a little higher flexibility with paid off time -- I personally think I'd be a much more efficient worker if I had more time to relax during the lulls in a project.

Obsidian Entertainment2015-09-26

"Great studio, great people, crappy projects (back then)"

Current Employee - Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

The head guys are very open and honest regarding the company's health. The developers are friendly. They pay about average. The studio is across from plenty of dining/shopping/etc. but its very expensive to live nearby.

Cons

They were really struggling when I was there, working on bad projects from no-name or foreign publishers. They are basically desperate to work for anyone to keep the lights on. Hopefully, Project Eternity (their own IP) will put them on solid footing again.

Advice to Management

Move. Irvine is lame and too expensive, especially that premium spot across The Spectrum.

Obsidian Entertainment2015-04-18

"Great potential, but pushed around by big publishers"

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture. Casual work environment. Employees are passionate all the way up to the top levels. Management works hard. Employees know their fields.

Cons

In my experience, Obsidian seems to be routinely pushed around by the publishers they work with. This leads to rushed launches and, in some cases, making implementing poor designs because of the publisher's whims.

Obsidian Entertainment2014-06-17

"Obsidian is filled with people that are passionate about the games they create."

Current Employee - Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Obsidian Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparency. Obsidian's owners are very clear and open about that is going on with the studio. Anything from new projects to financial stability. The artists are eager to learn and willing share new techniques and experiences. The absence of "climbing the corporate ladder" is a welcome feeling having come from both of the other "big" corporate studios.

Cons

Minor issues like parking lot locations, not having the newest office furniture or computer hardware come up because of being a cost conscious independent development studio.

Obsidian Entertainment2014-06-17