Ocado Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ocado CEO Tim Steiner
Tim Steiner

Pros
  • You can finish early and you get paid for your whole shift (in 13 reviews)

• 8 hour shifts but if you clock out after 6 hours you still get paid for 8 (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Shift patterns that only Satan himself could have devised (in 9 reviews)

• Pretty far out of London but I suppose that's not a problem if you don't want to live in London (in 5 reviews)

"Below average, good to get online experience, but not focussed on people and not great for career opportunities"

Pros

On-line experience, leading edge technology for the distribution centre, lots of operational responsibility for high performers

Cons

Hit glass ceiling very quickly, lack of shared information about the direction of the company, lack of positive, collaborative, culture

Advice to Management

Improve culture and focus on developing people

2. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, pay is good for what the job entails. shifts swaps you can do with other people.

Cons

Computers are very slow and crash, Working weekends and bank holidays. all different shifts.

Advice to Management

More support with the computers to update the software.

3. "Great job!"

Current Employee - Contact Centre Advisor in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic work atmosphere - I haven't found even one person in this office that isn't willing to help or advise me when I'm stuck or struggling with a customer or situation. There are lots of graduates and non-graduate in-house opportunities, and the managers treat you fairly and compassionately when life outside of work affects you adversely. The escalation process for customers is straight forward and easy to follow too.
    Also, we have a free Lavazza coffee machine and unlimited fruit and breakfast spreads + bread, as well as a free taxi service from train station to the office at all hours of work.

A new contract has just been offered for £23,000 too, if I wasn't leaving for another job I'd definitely be taking it.

Cons

Lots of broken / buggy computers in the office for a hot desk environment is very frustrating, and as all contact centre roles go you get some very difficult customers -

Also, the job becomes very routine by the six-month mark, and you can feel like you're stagnating in your role if you don't take on a lot of extra tasks for some added variety such as buddying, social media, outbound retention calls and events.

Advice to Management

Fix the computers / buy new ones, and give us back Microsoft Word! It's the most frustrating thing ever trying to do your job and computers constantly and consistently failing, and Google Docs crashing as our computers don't seem to like it. By the 2 pm mark having no spare computers (that aren't buggy) to move to as everyone is in for their shifts! Honestly having an in-house technician would do wonders. It's the main issue with so many colleagues here also, and middle management and above either don't realise how bad it is or haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Honestly, if you could fix that then everyone would be so happy, and you'd likely see productivity rise too!

5. "Delivery driver"

Pros

Fellow team members and free coffee

Cons

The hours and continual change of start times

6. "Werehouse operative"

Current Employee - Werehouse Operative in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Werehouse Operative in Tamworth, England (UK)

Pros

We have a contract and we have a lot of opportunities to a new start and the pleople who work there ar grait! We have a chance to start a new life if we come from another country!

Cons

The transport! They need to provide a transport to the people because of the early hours we work there or change the program! Because it's an ugly shift...4:30 am-2:30 pm of 18:45 pm-04:45 am

Advice to Management

Tell the people to clean after them!

7. "Cstm driver"

Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people to work with and always help you if needed
    15% of shopping with ocado if you can afford to shop with them
    Can go home when you finish your run
    Friendly customers

Cons

0% off morrisons shop
    Cameras in van go off every bump you go over putting you on edge that you've done something wrong.
    U1 computer in van crashes all the time and tells you to go up roads that are tight af especially in Huddersfield
    Normally late out because marshals are lazy phone that they give is a old Nokia that didn't work
    Morrisons drops are between 14 -28 and about 260 miles and you got to remember that could be a city centre with flats and the people in the flats won't come down to help you even if they have 7 totes full of bottled water and every box is heavy they give you a trolley tho which carry four box's but if you have 9 box's for a flat that's three trips and the times they give you to do the drop could be 5 mins so you have to scan all the box's off then go up to the flats deliver fours box's they do two more trips in 5 mins which is impossible
    Then you have ocado drop which is between 1-19
    And the van is never full when I started I was getting between 7 - 16 drops with only 50-60 miles but only the people who have been they ages get to go on ocado drop all the rest get put on morrisons.
    Also your first drop could be in Manchester and your next drop could be I'm York all that is to do is to make you stay out for the full 7 1/2 hours
    Parking I'm some place they send you is shocking also you get to go to farms in the middle of nowhere and you will have to find it yourself because the sat-nav doesn't know either
    So just to clarify your phone doesn't work you are in the middle of nowhere and you have to try find a place in the dark THANKS OCADO.
    You don't always go to nice place either you see some right places especially in Oldham
    Customer are friendly and let you drop off early most of the time but you have to give them bad news because some of they shopping is missing these are called x-totes and YOU have to give the bad news to them and then they are shouting at you like it's your fault then they complain about the driver been nasty and you get a tell off of the manager. You cant deliver more than a hour early customers give wrong numbers and sometimes don't answer.
    Drivers notes are useless it's just drivers arguing with each other.
    Maybe I had it harsh for 7 months I was they but I did enjoy it because I was my own boss on the road despite all the stuff above.
    SALARY the big one here the one you've all been waiting for 16000 a year absolutely not worth it for the pressure your under that's just a standard 7 and half hours a day starting earlys at 5.30 am to 13.00 5.45 till 13.15 and lates are 16.15 till 23.45 16.30 till 00.00
    You can do 10 hours shift aswell go out once with 13- 20 drops and you come back and you may get another 13-20 drops I never did that 7 1/2 was enough for me but you do get more money I'm not sure how much more because I never did them but you only work 4 days then off for 3 days.
    Staff turnover is very high I started with 5 guys 1 guy left during the training 2 guys left two weeks after the training and the other guy left 3 months after I was the only guy they in my group after 7 months.

Advice to Management

Look after your drivers and marshals
    Customers complain because they want stuff free not because where nasty to them

8. "Good Place to work as a CSTM"

Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Wimbledon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very independent, No one bothers you while you at work, helpful managers.

Cons

Some days at work it tests your psychical strength and capabilities and it can break your back. No flexibility in working hours.

Advice to Management

Great help and keep up the good work and the help you provide for the CSTMs.

"Great little job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in North West (India)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in North West (India)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with Ocado as a CSTM (Driver) has some great pros. Firstly, all your vans are pre loaded, so all you have to do is do the van checks and go! Most of the customers are friendly people and always willing to chat (some even give tips). Vans are easy to drive, Mercedes Sprinter automatic. Wages are good for what you do. People at the depot are friendly (appreciated this could depend on the depot). Great training, with a full insight of the company. 40 hours over 5 days with around 30 days paid holidays (which are easy to book via your employee account). Great little routes, driving to some nice places. Left to your own devices, no bosses looking over you... There is a driver facing camera in the cab, but that's there to help you; I was involved in a accident were the other party said I was on the phone, video footage showed I wasn't! Only records 30 second clips when it detects a strong g force.

Cons

There are some cons to the job... First being the sheer amount of physical strength needed. If your not a fit person, look for another job. You do however get used to it and lose weight! Van damage is frowned upon, with the van being mostly made of carbon fibre it is easy to damage if you're not careful; usually van damage can met with actions being taken depending on the serverity of the damage. Sometimes you find your route plan is made up, with not enough time between or at drops and end up falling behind. Lastly, I will say that a con is not really being much to progress in the company. From a driver, maybe go to yard marshalling which is a little extra pay or a trainer (buddy).

Advice to Management

Maybe try and see situations from a drivers perspective and help them in a way that they would also see fit. Although I would say overall they do try to help you, but sometimes could end up being a negative thing for you.

10. "CSTM"

Pros

Easy, simple, great people, convenient and uniform provided

Cons

repetitive, shift work, late hours, loads of stairs, bad management

Advice to Management

nothing

11. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good place location salary good customer service

Cons

long hours boring far long

good