Ocado Technology Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

4.2
Ocado Technology CEO James Matthews
James Matthews
Pros
  • "Cutting edge technology and fun people(in 14 reviews)

• "Very relaxed working environment(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There aren't enough parking spots at the head-office in Hatfield for the size of the building(in 9 reviews)

• "No bonuses, no work from home policy, anachronistic management in Ocado Group which affects Ocado Tech as well(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Decent growing company

Jan 18, 2021 - Project Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Large company growing fast; lots of free reign to create your own career; ability to travel as you need for the job

Cons

Mind boggling leadership from the UK/ Europe is the largest point of constraint. Many European managers have no clue of American culture or understanding of the lay of the land on projects which it makes it difficult to progress the way that’s needed. Although some of this m can be attributed to the pandemic. Compensation can be lower than other conpanies in the same growth rate.

Ocado Technology Response

We appreciate the feedback! We are a growing company and are expanding internationally. In North America we have recently welcomed Kindred Systems and Haddington Dynamics to our team. Our knowledge of these markets is expanding in line with this. Please do speak to your manager or the People Team about any feedback or suggestions you may have about collaboration and ways of working. Thanks for the review.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fast paced but positive environment

Apr 29, 2021 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work here are generally really friendly, smart helpful people. Autonomy is very high. Managers are expected to support growth of those they manage, not micromanage them. Lots of opportunity to learn both through organised courses and talks and through general openness to share from other teams and areas. Failure is approached with a "what can we learn" view rather than a "who caused the problem" approach.

Cons

Reorgs and significant changes in priorities (mostly due to the constantly changing environment) are common. Employees are treated well when they happen, but it would not be a good environment for people who want a calm, stable work environment. Handling change well is essential.

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We’re so pleased to hear that you enjoy the culture we foster at Ocado Technology. Thanks again!

3. 5.0

Relaxed and yet challenging

Apr 29, 2021 - Software Engineer in Sofia
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the software is being migrated to AWS and you get to work with trendy technologies

Cons

Management is a little bit too tolerant and allows some employees to take advantage of them. For example threats for leaving and sabotaging projects aren't too uncommon. It could be only a Sofia things, haven't heard such things from other sites

Communications Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and sharing your thoughts and comments in such detail. You make many more interesting points, all of which we will digest and share feedback and learnings with the team. Thank you.

4. 3.0

Easy work, Low salary, Low moral, Outdated technologies

Feb 23, 2021 - Software Engineer E2 in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to get a job, even if you lack experience or knowledge. Fantastic work-life balance. Very simple work without stress or responsibilities. Co-workers are usually friendly. Small employee discount in the Ocado shop. An interesting insight into the common best practices from 1995-2000.

Cons

Meagre salary. Heavy reliance on Java 6 and other outdated technologies. Almost no growth opportunities due to low technical expertise in teams. The cultural values ("Ocado principles") sound good on paper but are never followed in practice (at least in my department). Management refused to pay out bonuses despite massive corporate gains and defended the decision with insulting rhetorics. Meanwhile, the CEO has received one of the highest bonuses in the UK. In the 1st months of COVID, there were personal attacks at people who advocated wearing face-coverings. Even a company-wide prohibition of wearing face coverings in the office was active for a short period. The senior management does meet with regular employees on 1:1 meetings, but they act very happy and innocent. This makes people hesitant to point out the perilous state of most projects. Prepare to see sad-puppy faces if you reveal even the slightest issue. It's unnerving. The real danger is being stuck in this company for too long. While I would recommend Ocado for a 1-2 year working period to learn certain interesting architectural design approaches and how NOT to do certain stuff, it will kill your professional skills if you overstay.

3 people found this review helpful

Ocado Technology Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and express your thoughts. Regarding your point about the way we work, we truly believe that our values differentiate us as an employer by helping individuals to grow and develop, and helping our teams to work together effectively for the best results. We are sad to hear that this hasn't been your experience so please speak with the People Team to offer any specific suggestions or feedback. We're very surprised to read your comments on the technology we use, we pride ourselves on our Tech Stack which combines a powerful set of best-in-breed languages and tools to make it easy for our teams to focus on problem solving and building the best solutions. We would also like to reassure you that we put a lot of effort into ensuring that our total packages are competitive for each location that we operate in. You make many more interesting points, all of which we will digest and share feedback and learnings with the team. Thank you.

5. 5.0

In Ocado you feel appreciated

Dec 6, 2020 - Software Engineer in Sofia
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good renumeration for Sofia, even compared to other IT companies. The office atmosphere is extraordinary, unfortunately due to COVID new colleagues do not get to experience this (yet). One of the philosophies is "fail fast", meaning we're not afraid to fail as long as we learn from it. There is no blame game; when something goes wrong we always look for solutions, not someone to blame. People from across the company demonstrate that they care about you as a person and your personal and professional growth - from your team lead, to the department engineering lead, to the higher ups all the way to senior management. A great deal of effort is being made to ensure people feel comfortable asking questions. You want to ask the CEO something? Go ahead. There are regular town halls and business updates where you can learn what is going on with the business.

Cons

The company still has a hint of entrepreneurial spirit, which is both good and not so good; sometimes things are a bit chaotic and processes are in place which worked for teams of 5-10 people, but are now applied to teams of 20+ people. As usual, there is some resistance to change how things are being done, but on the plus side, changes are being done. Communication channels are not always clearly defined, so occasionally you may need to spend some time to find out the right person or team to assist you with a task ot question. Another con which perhaps all companies have is meetings. For developers it is not that bad, since we can just skip anything we don't feel brings value for us. But TLs and PMs do suffer I feel.

Ocado Technology Response

Thanks for your review! We will digest this feedback and share with the teams. We are a rapidly changing organisation and this has meant showing strategic flexibility to react to new challenges, and asking our employees to adapt to new ways of working. We do pride ourselves on our 'Collaboration' value and always hope that any element of change involves you in the journey and you have input into the decisions that affect you.

6. 3.0

Interesting work, chaotic workplace

Apr 29, 2021 - Engineer in Stockholm, Stockholm, Stockholm
      Business Outlook

Pros

- State-of-the-art and interesting tasks - Top level colleagues with a supporting attitude - Better than average benefits and pension - Responsive local management

Cons

- Chaotic office with glaring flaws from a safety perspective - Diversity is very superficial and management does not take the problem seriously - Support from local and business-wide HR is insufficient - Management is unavailable and does not have time to seriously engage with employees - Expectations are poorly communicated

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we are so pleased to hear that you find the projects interesting. We take your concerns very seriously. As a feedback-driven business, we would like to encourage you to get in touch with the People team or the Advanced Technology leadership team with any feedback, comments or suggestions.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Work

Apr 29, 2021 - Engineering Team Lead in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, company that's growing fast, lots of impressive work happening, smart & enthusiastic & motivated colleagues, great work/life balance

Cons

Promotion process can be sluggish, compansation for UK roles not quite comparable with London market

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! It’s great to hear that you enjoy working at Ocado Technology. Regarding your comment about remuneration, we would like to reassure you that we put a lot of effort into ensuring our total packages are competitive for each region that we operate in. Thanks again!

8. 5.0

Great place, fast paced

Apr 14, 2021 - Technical Lead in Welwyn Garden City, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of autonomy and room to run with your own projects. A lovely and supportive team to work with.

Cons

Ocado is going through growing pains. There are regular restructures as the business develops, and there are not a lot of processes.

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a great review! It's great to hear that you enjoy the culture and environment at Ocado Technology.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great culture, rapid growth

Mar 22, 2021 - Engineering Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ocado Technology has put a lot of effort into defining software engineering and product owner/manager roles, and provided clear expectations. I found the culture to be one of the best of all the companies I've worked at, though it is fair to say that some departments are further along in this space than others. Leadership is accessible and friendly, as is everyone else. People are always willing to help. CI/CD and development tools are maturing constantly, OT is ahead of many organisations in this place.

Cons

My experience was generally very positive.

Communications Associate

Thanks for leaving a review! We’re so pleased to hear you had such a positive experience at Ocado Technology.

10. 4.0

Great employer

May 5, 2021 - Simulation Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning opportunities, good team-working and positive environment; Salary compensation varies

Cons

Can be hard to implement changes within the team.

Communications Associate

Thank so much for leaving a review! We are thrilled to hear that you think we're a great employer and enjoy the culture we foster. Thanks again!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 234 Reviews