Occidental Petroleum Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Vicki Hollub

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The 90-80 work schedule is nice (in 24 reviews)

• Good culture, 9-80 schedule, pleasant work environment (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Some empty promises and with it being an oil and gas company raises when oil is down are hard to come by (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of communication from upper management (in 15 reviews)

1. "OXY's Internship Program"

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Houston, TX

Pros

Competitive pay; great management; challenging, applied projects (no busy work); very friendly work environment (at least in the Houston office); many activities for interns to get to meet one another, and to learn about the Oil and Gas industry.

Cons

They are not as reputable as one of the major oil companies; they do not have assets in as many places as some of the other major oil companies; no offshore production.

Advice to Management

Management was great from what I could tell; my manager was exceptionally sharp and seemed to be running things perfectly.

"Great company for domestic work"

Current Employee - Geologist in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Geologist in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

Very flat organization. If you have a good idea, it is executed very quickly. Management generally allows you to do your work without unnecessary oversight...they do not micro-manage. Pay and benefits are reasonable. I would guess that compensation is about average for the industry, which is okay with me considering that my work environment is very positive. They often award employees credit for previous industry experience for vacation purposes. Also, most geologists and engineers have an office as opposed to a cubicle. Organizational changes are common, which I view as a pro. I like to keep things fresh.

Cons

Currently understaffed, so we are all very busy. Sometimes upper management seems to reverse course very quickly. Oxy is known for layoffs. A couple of years ago, they did a substantial layoff when the stock was at a record high. People are often shuffled around, so if you don't like change this could be a con (I consider it a pro). If you are interested in international work, the locations that Oxy has to offer are limited...Houston, California, and a couple of places in South America and the Middle East are the only locations Oxy has to offer. I would love to see Oxy gain a presence in some different parts of the world. The lack of international locations that interest me is the biggest con in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Avoid massive layoffs in the future. Although there is a genuine labor shortage currently, part of Oxy's difficulties in meeting staffing needs are related to the company having a reputation in the industry for doing layoffs, even when profits are high.

"Positive work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule
    Management is very knowledgeable with respect to their positions
    Positive working environment with an open door policy to aid all employees

Cons

On-boarding process is a bit lacking for new employees
    Due to issues in lack of communication supply chain gets a bad rep even though they work hard as a support organization
    Performance evaluations are lacking in effectiveness and are demotivating to many

Advice to Management

Work on the performance evaluations and work on your employee on-boarding. Other than that, Oxy is a great company to work with.

4. "I have had an enjoyable career at Occidental Petroleum and would recommend it to anyone with a strong work ethic."

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The leadership balances priorities such as adding shareholder value and promoting career development well. The employees work together as a team and have a sense of pride in where they work.

Cons

Some of the larger oils have more locations to choose from as your career grows but beyond that fact, there is no better large oil company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep making smart acquisition decisions and growing the company in the way you have the past ~10 years.

5. "Very happy at Oxy"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I participate annually in the Houston Chronicle's Top 100 Workplace Survey and those results speak for themselves - currently Oxy is one of the nation's Top 150 companies to work for according to the opinions of over 1800 employees.

Cons

I have seen people not adjust well to Oxy's culture. As with any employer individual results can vary.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow your presence in Houston.

6. "Open to express yourself and your ideas"

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

move at the speed of sound sometimes you need to slow up to hear it

7. "One of the greatest company's to work for."

Current Employee - Production Technician in Sheffield, TX
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Sheffield, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, wonderful people to work with. Always somewhere to go up in the company. Family friendly company.

Cons

Current location is away from home, have to stay on site for 7 days. Not able to be home every night.

"Oxy Houston is a terrific employer!"

Former Employee - Legal Department in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Department in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary.
    Great benefits.
    Secured job.
    Annual bonuses.
    Annual raises.
    Everyone here is educated, hard working and intense. If you see yourself like this then Oxy is definitely for you. Anyone looking to collect an easy paycheck though should abstain.

Cons

Conservative work environment where only upper management have a say regarding policy.

Advice to Management

Consider integrating suggestions from those who actually do the work on the ground rather than from those who've only just studied Organizational Management. If your staff consistently tells you they cannot complete a task correctly within a given timeframe, maybe consider integrating their suggestions on how they might be able to do it.

9. "Good"

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they move quickly, you can learn a lot

Cons

none really, good company to work for

Advice to Management

none

10. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Great benefits, including generous 401k matching, pension, health, short and long term disability, and vacation.
    - Flat organization with few levels of management allows staff to assume huge responsibility and call a lot of shots.
    - Lots of opportunity for resilient entrepreneurial individuals that don't need a lot of structure.

Cons

- lean staff means crazy workload.
    - Quality of mid managers varies greatly; can affect performance rating.
    - Rating system isn't always consistently applied. The same growth area may be overlooked completely by one manager, while another focuses too heavily on the same item.

Advice to Management

More training for younger managers. Overall, most try to do the right thing, but some are clearly torn between politics / pleasing upper management versus growing their staff. Consider implementing 360 appraisals for managers. Otherwise, OXY is really a great company to work for. Benefits far outweigh the negatives.