Occidental Petroleum Reviews | Glassdoor

Occidental Petroleum Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Pros
  • The 90-80 work schedule is nice (in 24 reviews)

• Good culture, 9-80 schedule, pleasant work environment (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Some empty promises and with it being an oil and gas company raises when oil is down are hard to come by (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of communication from upper management (in 15 reviews)

"Good Place to Learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Place to Learn the Industry. Really good benefits.

Cons

Not a good place to advance your career. A good place to have a job but not a career.

Advice to Management

Management rotation. Diversity doesn't just mean women.

2. "Intern Production Engineer"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum as an intern

Pros

Open door policy with many of the employees makes getting help and questions asked an easy task. Working hours are very flexible for an intern as long as you put your time in and are not missing any important meetings. The field offices have a fun and relaxed culture while the corporate in Houston is more stern and rigid.

Cons

Upper management is aging and out of touch with the young employees. With the downturn interns definitely feel like a cog that can easily be replaced or done without. "Meaningful Projects" that are honestly not the beneficial to the company.

Advice to Management

Do not take the frustration that comes with a downturn out on the interns. We have meaningful ideas and are capable of actual work if we are only assigned projects that are usable.

3. "HR"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Oxy is a very stable company, even in the Oil & Gas market. Plenty of opportunities to move around within the organization or International

Cons

Like most companies, you need to be part of the "click" to get the opportunities

"Average"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Apparently unlimited need for engineers due to mature++ fields. Little direction should suit experienced employee or consultant with prior knowledge of tasks. Massive software budget means many duplicate programs available.

Cons

Mostly a geographically restricted production company working on very old oilfields. Can get repetitive. Reliance on contractors or service companies for advanced techniques.

Advice to Management

None. Company has been able to reward managers very well using current model. Share price has been kept high by buying back stock. Company (or assets) can always be sold in crisis.

"About Average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and challenging projects. Good technical people that try to do the right thing. Adding more words to hit 20-word minimum.

Cons

Treat people like widgets. Terrible locations... Long Beach, Bakersfield, Greenway Plaza... Management is somewhat cut throat.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like dirt - that is why you have a revolving door of folks leaving constantly. Pay is not competitive with the rest of industry.

"Rollercoaster"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Nice people. Decent Benefits. Flexible schedule. Management that I have worked with is approachable and understanding.

Cons

They only value their engineers and geologists, they don't show real value to those in support positions. Not a steady place to work. There are lots of reorganizations and uncertainty.

"Great benefits, pay so-so, many changes in management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, offices are nice besides trying to get down Richmond, 9/80 schedule.

Cons

Always changing direction, multiple changes in management and personnel, compensation was on the lower end compaired to other Oil & Gas companies, but HR would say that is not so. Bonuses for Techs are on a completely different (lower level) than any other position.

Advice to Management

Motivation was needed, especially during a time when an announcement went out with NO WARNING that our business unit was being sold. It was perfectly timed on the employees Friday off so everyone was in complete chaos on Monday. Hopefully they figured it out after that one.

"Work at Oxy has been "interesting" for a lack of better words."

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex schedule, 9/80(every other Friday off), great benefits

Cons

Hard to move around, "stiff" environment, Not an even playing field for all employees

9. "IT Intern"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

IT intern are given meaningful projects to work on. The projects are based on current business needs and the solutions are given serious consideration by management. Interns are provided with access to the tools required to perform their assigned projects.

Cons

The internship program is really geared toward recruiting and retaining engineers. IT interns seem to be more disposable.

Advice to Management

Invite IT interns back, engineers are not the only critical human resource.

10. "I was a summer engineering intern"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Midland, TX
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Midland, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The 9/80 schedule was nice, and my group showed they wanted me to succeed by helping me understand new concepts, being patient with my many questions, and taking me out to the field.

I appreciated the two organized field trips for all interns to Houston and Midland, especially the visit to the oil and gas portion of a museum in Houston.

Cons

I would have liked to had more impact. I only really worked on one project, and it would have been better if I could have contributed more. But perhaps that is my fault.

I did not expect a work start time of 7am.

There were some problems with communication. The mentors were not clearly told what to expect the first day, and so my mentor thought I would be in a different location that day than I actually was. If such problems exist in HR for interns, who's to say they don't exist for full-time positions? I also witnessed an employee who pulled on the intern he was mentoring to focus on things other than her manager wanted because the manager was located in a different city than the mentor and mentee. This situation put a lot of stress on that intern.

Advice to Management

Improve HR communication for the first day