Ocean Properties Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 13, 2017

1.0
Michael Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Growth and structure with in a very reasonable work environment (in 4 reviews)

• They have very flexible hours, ranging from 20 to 35 hours a week, your choice, with 4 hour shift minimums up to 8 hours max (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to the low pay there is a constant revolving door of agents (in 7 reviews)

• no breaks, just a half hour lunch, long hours, constantly on the phones with like 15 sec between the calls (in 5 reviews)

1. "Avoid if Possible"

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in South Portland, ME

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

casual dress code. That's it.

Cons

-You don't get holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas off (they are open 365 days a year)
    -Low pay
    -Barely any breaks
    -Very little training to prepare you for actually working the phones
    -Overwhelming

Advice to Management

Besides more training, I would suggest better incentives to keep employees there longer, maybe not be open on thanksgiving or christmas if possible.

2. "Server"

I worked at Ocean Properties part-time

Pros

You can make good money.

Cons

You are just a number.

"BELIEVE ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS POSTED ONLINE"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bangor, ME

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees get to eat from 4-Hour-Old Leftover Breakfast Buffet

Cons

Intimidating language used towards employees. Disrespect and demoralizing behavior shown towards employees. Class system encouraged. Contracts not honored.

Advice to Management

This was the most horrible experience I have had with an employer in my 30+ years in the workforce. Keep employing your relatives because you do not recognize the value of any other professional. You need to go on Undercover Boss if you care about any employees that are not relatives of the owner.

"Hospitality Hacks"

Former Employee - Rooms Departmemt Manager in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Rooms Departmemt Manager in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotel discounts, employee meals,
    Beautiful properties

Cons

An over all lack of professionalism.
    Micro management of finance, zero effort to retain anyone with potential.

Advice to Management

Your most valuable asset isn't your real estate, it is your people. Treating your people with respect costs nothing, this company has yet to understand the ROI on common courtesy.

5. "FOOLED"

Former Employee - Bartender in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I got about working at Ocean properties was the friends I made when I was there

Cons

No communication with upper management our Resort basically worked by itself with the staff that was there and then would get reprimanded and questions why we made certain choices when we had no one to communicate with for managerial decisions no perks for working for this Corporation whatsoever

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunities and titles for people early in their career, putting young folks in positions of leadership. Opportunity to relocate within the company.

Cons

They completely take advantage of individuals hard work and dedication, and offer no appreciation, support, or loyalty. After spending an extended period of time with the company I was let go on very weak reasons, and the company executives actively sabotaged me as a candidate with other firms.

Advice to Management

In the 21st century the "good old boys" mentality of senior leadership is unacceptable. The owners and executives are highly offensive, discriminatory, and demeaning.

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager/Food and Beverage in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager/Food and Beverage in Clearwater, FL

Pros

Opportunity. That's it. Not much more you can say, most people that work for OPL don't like working for OPL.

Cons

Pay is way below industry standard. Comoany culture is to let work take over your life. No one feels any sense of security. It's really sad, I liked my five years but didn't realize how horrible it was until I left. I have doubled my salary and don't work weekends with my new company. I also received 2 weeks paid vacation after my first year. With OPL you have to wait 3 years. By then you're toast. Learn as much as you can then bounce and make some money for your family and enjoy your life more.

"Terrible and immoral"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in New Castle, NH
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in New Castle, NH

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great spring board for your career. Seriously, this company is known by other hospitality companies for being "the worst of the worst". If you survive for any period of time, other companies will know that you must have a stellar work ethic and be impervious to any crap they might throw your way.

Cons

As a company, their goals are short sighted and revolve around the bottom line. It, quite frankly, feels like the corporate level managers fear for their jobs so pass that fear along. It was so sad to see the high level managers at the hotel constantly live in fear for their jobs, almost crippling to the entire operation.

They will work you for all you're worth. As a salaried manager, I was expected to work 6 days a week while being compensated by some new math, "non-exempt", salary. I started during "Peak Season" so looked forward to the off season when the schedule might regulate. Except, then they just lay everyone off leaving the few that are left to cover obscene shifts. There was never a break, by the time I got a day off, all I had left in me was to sleep.

The corporate officers who felt that a 60 hour work week should be the norm were generally mean spirited cowards (with rare exceptions). It's alarming that they allow some of them to speak to employees the way they do. The HR directors that I have worked with since wouldn't tolerate even half of the abuse that is prevalent.

There's also a strange dichotomy between a complete indifference toward how to do things, and a militaristic micro-management of how you do other things. It leaves you needing to make a lot of decisions yet completely afraid to actually make them which is counterintuitive to any development (or sanity).

HR is a whole other subject. Really could be more of a root of the problem with this particular hotel than with the upper echelons of management. Most people understand that HR is really working for the company's interest and not the employee's. Here there's not even an attempt to pretend it's the other way around. That office's unapproachability and generally grumpy attitude made you feel that you were out to sea without a paddle. No open door policy here.

There's also zero incentive except fear of termination. No bonuses unless you count the $150 check around the holidays (I'm not missing a zero). The general consensus was that the holiday bonuses were more insulting than anything. I would have been less insulted to get nothing.

When I left, there had been a pay freeze for almost 3 years. Not even a COL increase. This is reasonably understandable given the market conditions at the time but they didn't even offer reviews of your performance.

The hotel that I worked at happened to be near where some of the family that owned the company. This meant that you had to hire their kids, their kid's friends, their mistress or boy-toy (seriously). These "employees" were dead weight on any schedule but you weren't allowed to schedule heavy to deal with their lack of productivity. Then when they got sick of the job they were hired for, you would have to "promote" them even though they really should have been fired. This seems like a trivial thing to mention but, honestly, it dug at my moral center more than most other things. I could turn my head to so much, including: sexual harassment, theft by employees who were seemingly untouchable so you had to remain hush, undocumented workers throughout the hotel etc. but making hard-working people constantly paying for the privilege awarded to these kids was gut wrenching.

I could go on about the abuses and how the people that succeeded were really the ones who shared the same corrupt and immoral values that the owners and regional managers held.

I will, once in a while, encounter someone who has worked there since my time and their experiences always have mimicked mine so it doesn't sound like much has changed or that my experience was unique.

Advice to Management

Not sure it's worth the key strokes.

"Horrible company values"

Former Employee - MIT in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - MIT in Dover, NH

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I hate to say it but there aren't very many pros. The people are okay. Employees are great but almost everyone corporate sucks.

Cons

Company doesn't give two craps about their employees, for example, their pay is crap for all the hard work they do. After X amount of years without a raise, oooh a 25¢ raise, not even retroactive for all the years they got nothing. The walshes hire their friends, which is clear because their managers know nothing about running hotels and end up running them into the ground, which causes a high turnover rate which put stress on everyone else. also, benefits: you have to work a certain amount of hours to be eligible for them, but in slower season it's so hard to get enough hours to keep them. If you accept a job with them, say goodbye to your personal life...you won't have one. they work you like a slave.

Advice to Management

My advice to management: take care of your employees. Your employees happiness=your money. They go hand in hand. Happy employees translates into happy guests which translates into more money! But currently 90% of employees are miserable. The other 10% are your friends that you hire to fill in gaps.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Key West, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Key West, FL

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hotel business is fun, fast paced, demanding and mentally taxing, which I enjoy. I love working at ANY hotel and any brand hotel. If you have ANY other choice, work at that hotel and pass on Ocean Properties. Since Ocean Properties hotels are run poorly and employees are unhappy you can ALWAYS find a job at Ocean Properties. If you're desperate, and you can't get a job at any other hotel, you can get a job at Ocean Properties.

Cons

Track your hours. Keep track of the exact minute that you clock in and clock out every day and check your pay check. For example, if you work 45 hours you'll get paid for 42.5 or 40 or 43.5 hours. Ocean Properties will constantly "short" your paycheck. If you complain about your paycheck being incorrect you'll get a write up for something.

If you work like a slave, and guests and other managers think you are absolutely incredible, you'll be switched from hourly to management. You'll be required to work 50 hours for the salary that Ocean Properties says that they are going to pay you. If you divide 50 hours by your salary you'll find out that your hourly rate of pay is a few dollars less than it was when you were an hourly employee.

If you're salary "non exempt" your salary isn't guaranteed income. If you're salary "non exempt" you won't be scheduled for more than 50 hours to prevent you from getting overtime pay. If you're salary "non exempt" you won't be scheduled for more than 50 hours to prevent you from getting overtime pay. If you work less than 50 hours, Ocean Properties will "dock your pay" and you'll be "charged" for the hours less than 50 that you didn't work which will decrease your pay even more. For example, if you're making 12 per "non exempt" salary management hour at 50 hours per week your pay would be $600 a week before taxes and deductions. You'll be paid every 2 weeks. If you're scheduled for 45 hours instead of 50 hours Ocean Properties will subtract $60 from your pay reducing your paycheck to $540. If you're willing to trade minimum wage to less than minimum wage so that you can get a management title, the pay cut might not bother you. You won't be "non exempt" if you supervise 2+ employees. If you somehow end up working 60 hours, Ocean Properties won't pay you for the extra 10 hours which is stealing $120 from you.

If you manage more than 2 people you'll be salary "exempt" (Google FSLA non exempt and exempt for explanation) and you'll work 80 to 100 hours a week. When you divide your salary by your 80 to 100 hour work week you'll be earning 1/2 of the hourly employees that you manage. You'll be living in employee housing with 2 or 3 employees and paying half your salary in rent to Ocean Properties.

Expect your hours, if you're hourly, to remain at 30 to 35 hours per week which makes it impossible for you to buy insurance because insurance will cost more than your entire pay check.

If you're hourly, expect to be sent home randomly and unexpectedly if the hotel is slow.

If you're hourly, expect to be called in randomly and unexpectedly when people walk of the job in total disgust or are fired because a new person is hired who seems to be more qualified than you are.

Expect to be written up for random things that you have no control over and may have actually done by another department or another employee. If you a guest complains about you expect that you'll just get a write up. The management won't ask the witnesses what happened, you'll just be written up.

Expect to have 2 write ups in your employment file at all times so that you can be fired at any moment "for cause."

Expect to get an "ineligible to be rehired" comment from Human Resources if you're fired. When another employer hears that you are "ineligible to be rehired" you'll find it impossible to get a job anywhere. Leave as soon as you find another job at another hotel.

As long as you work at the hotel expect to live in a state of complete exhaustion, terror, stress, unhappy employees, unhappy managers and unappreciative owners. Everyone is miserable except for all of the family members working for this gigantic company. The family is huge.

If you're spoken to by a "King,", "Prince" or "Princess" of the family that owns this hotel ingratiate yourself with a smile and a one word answer that makes them the savior of the world and let's them know that you're the peasant that you are.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is a waste of time because they don't care what any employee has to say. Ocean Properties doesn't care about any employee unless the employee is a family member of the owner of this huge family, or the child of a friend of this huge family or a child of someone in a political position that can help the family that owns Ocean Properties.

The family that owns Ocean Properties is 100% selfish. Employees are disposable and replaceable. There will always be a steady flow of desperate young people willing to work for minimum wage. Ocean Properties are the "King" and employees are the "serfs" who are disgusting poor people who deserve to live in poverty.