Ocean Properties Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 19, 2017

2.0
Michael Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Growth and structure with in a very reasonable work environment (in 4 reviews)

• They have very flexible hours, ranging from 20 to 35 hours a week, your choice, with 4 hour shift minimums up to 8 hours max (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to the low pay there is a constant revolving door of agents (in 7 reviews)

• no breaks, just a half hour lunch, long hours, constantly on the phones with like 15 sec between the calls (in 5 reviews)

1. "Server"

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time

Pros

1/2 off food.
    A nice view.
    You work with a lot of people under the age of 25.

Cons

Minimum wage vacation after 1 year of employment.
    The health insurance is garbage.
    You get 20% off hotel stays but have to get 4 manager approvals before you can do anything.
    I guess the rules don’t apply to everyone.

Advice to Management

Promote within.

2. "I have to say I am very disappointed with the manager and the supervisors."

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Portland, ME

I have been working at Ocean Properties part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want a job they will hire you. Short interview and no reference checks say a lot about the business and how it is run.

Cons

The "supervisors" are paid approximately .50 cents more than their lowest paid employees, lose their shift differential, and get a thankless job.

Advice to Management

You've been there WAY too long. Time to get another job. The number of employees you go through should be a good indication of your success. And for my Mormon friends that own this business, "A workman is worthy of his hire." Pay your employees better. You're cheap!

3. "Good starter job into the hotels"

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discounts on hotels

Cons

Constant write ups for petty things, management is a joke,

4. "Front office manager"

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time

Pros

Good benefits, that is all I can think of.

Cons

Everything else. Weird policies. Employees revolve like a door. Your value is truly never understood with corporate in a different state.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Your loss - I worked my behind off!

"Almost 5 years of employment"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coming right out of college and joining the MIT program is amazing for many of those who choose to do it. If you are able to stick with this you have the opportunity to move around the country learning from managers and different properties in a very short amount of time. This company gives its MIT's many great opportunities to build their resume. This could be considered a pro or a con but they also put many MITS into positions they are no where near ready for and never ever had been trained to do. Its a very Sink or Swim type mentality, but if you can survive it your resume will look pretty amazing for it. Overall if you can suck it up for a few years for the sake of your resume i would suggest it, but it will truly be sucking it up, as other than the traveling you will see very few Pro's to this company.

Cons

I unfortunately believe the cons heavily outweigh the Pros for this company. The first and most obvious to anyone who works for this company is that if you aren't "family" your ceiling is going to be significantly lower than if you were. This company makes it blatantly obvious on a rather regular occasion that it truly does not care about its employees (unless of course they are family). They are only about the bottom line, which is probably why are they are rated so low on this website, which they probably do not care about. There is 0 structure to there MIT program but instead they just put you where they need you for the sake of the company but not for the sake of those they are trying to teach. That is why after I left the company I was the only one left out of 25 in my original MIT class, that boils down to approximately 4% retention rate over a 4 year period. I havent mentioned the low pay but they pay significantly lower than any other management company that I have come across and expect you to work between 55-75 hours minimum at any of their major resorts (Florida has nicer hours). I left the company on my own as it just grew increasingly apparent that my staff was not cared about by OPL, I was actually personally treated very well but it was just obvious that my staff unfortunately was not, by anyone other than myself.

Advice to Management

It is widely thought at the property level that the "corporate" level staff does not care about anyone if you aren't family. The turnover rate is high in the hospitality industry in general but they leave your company because they dont feel like anyone cares about them. Many of your staff members especially young managers put in a significant amount of hours with nothing to show for it. I would suggest putting any sort of structure into your MIT program and attempting to change the culture in your company to make it seem as though you actually care for your staff.

"Front Desk Agent"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bar Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bar Harbor, ME

I worked at Ocean Properties (More than a year)

Pros

Good preparation for a future career if you are not a people person. This job forces you to deal with emotion 100% of the time. I worked at one of the Resorts for OPL and primarily families on vacation. Some of them the only vacation all year. Pay was fair at the time. Gave you an employee meal.

Cons

No holidays off but that just goes with Hospitality. Possibility for advancement was hard especially if you didn't know upper management well. Definitely understaffed in our hotel. Charged way too much for the rooms. Gave the presence of a 4 star hotel but the staff ran it like a 2 star hotel.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. It's better to pay someone $10/hr to make sure we have overnight housekeeping than make the front dest person do it after hours.

"Unorganized"

I worked at Ocean Properties (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful property. Was a shame to see such a beautiful restaurant with so much potential going to waste. They probably should have gotten rid of all the old staff before reopening as a fine dining restaurant on the beach after being known as a sports bar. The old staff had never worked in fine dining prior. Was funny sometimes to watch actually

Cons

Benefits were a joke because you had to work a certain amount of hours to get them but in the slow season you couldn't even get enough hours to keep them. Management had no clue what they were doing half the time because there were so many and they never communicated with each other.

"Chief engineer"

Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Coral Springs, FL

Pros

Is not a good place to work salaries is down

Cons

They make you to do alot of the job in the hotel with the lowest pay and the personality is bad they tthink they own you for everting dont let you take the complete vacation dont give you a raise for nothing

Advice to Management

For the people with out a job you trayin not to work for this managenment PLEASE PLEASE it going to be you nightmare Please dont work here look for a better place

"Front desk agent- Sagamore Resort"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bolton Landing, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bolton Landing, NY

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, networking, overall operational value with 35-40 hours per week along with potential overtime in busy months.

Cons

Weak hourly rate. $100 a week for rent if living on or off premise if you are in need of housing. Hourly rate was not suitable and living on my own with bills hurt me greatly. They expect the rent money not a day late therefore I was not even close to bringing a strong net amount home each week. Housing was also a headache. Rooming 4 people in an apartment does not work with the weak amenities they offer. Co workers were nice, but there were a handful who acted arrogant for no reason.

Advice to Management

Create a stronger, positive working environment and choose managers who are more outgoing and willing to help out employees when needed.

"Could not care less about the employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ocean Properties (More than a year)

Pros

Few. Some of the people you meet are nice enough, but nobody lasts long enough to really form bonds with

Cons

Say goodbye to any kind of social life, relationships, and family. You are expected to be at the beck and call of the hotel. Also, get used to being broke. There is a reason why 90% of staff is on some form of government assistance.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth, concentrate on the core of people who know their jobs, and stop the revolving door of know nothing employees