Ocean Spray Reviews in Lakeville, MA | Glassdoor

Lakeville, MA

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randy C. Papadellis

Pros
  • Company is very understanding of work/life balance and allows work from home opportunities (in 11 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and decent pay (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists in certain departments (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management seems to be on a carousel of rotating titles (in 7 reviews)

"Flexibility is a plus!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours if needed. Company is very understanding of work/life balance and allows work from home opportunities.

Cons

Not enough opportunities available to use your talent to its fullest potential.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Lakeville, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Lakeville, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People under top management are great and doing really business driven for growth and development. Products and solution have huge potential.

Cons

Very top management are very political without any strategy to the market but only focus on how to fulfill board. Only listen to the sweet words.

Advice to Management

Change CEO

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Farmer owned cooperative with good benefits and a good team environment

Cons

Really can't come up with much.

5. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful location filled with friendly and awesome coworkers. This place makes you truly feel included in the overall success of the company. I love the monthly meetings updating the entire organization of the progress and direction of the company. I can't speak enough about the professionalism and kindness Oceanspray shows their employees. Best place I have ever worked!! Did I mention we have an indoor gym.

Cons

I have not had one negative experience here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This place is wonderful. I love it here.

"You have no voice"

Former Employee - Accountant in Lakeville, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Lakeville, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you do everything exactly the way you're told to and do not have a differing opinion, then you are treated somewhat decently. Benefits are good, but offset with a lower salary than most companies.

Cons

If you are energetic and eager to learn, go somewhere else. You can't speak your mind, especially if it goes against what your supervisor thinks, even if it adds value to a discussion. People who perform poorly and are lazy are not punished if they are friendly with their supervisor or manager. You are treated worse than those who cause issues if you have an opinion and speak your mind.

You are given work that is below your experience level and made to feel that you are lesser than you're worth. If you attempt to work on projects that fall even slightly outside of your job description, you are reprimanded. I was told directly by my manager that I was capable of work higher than my level, but that "it would be inappropriate" for me to do such work since it did not fall within my job description.

Advice to Management

Allow people to speak their mind and treat everyone fairly. Create opportunities instead of locking people down and making them feel lesser than they are.

7. "Still going strong"

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time

Pros

Good people and benefits. Culture moving in the right direction to keep up with competitors.

Cons

Slow to move and change. promotions don't go to right people with most business impact.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees. Concentrate on bigger business opportunities, not approving every project including small profit contributors.

"Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

Pros

Ocean Spray has a great culture, which they are always trying to improve. Excellent benefits and perks - including on-site fitness center, condensed work-week during the summer, volunteer time, beautiful campus and lots of fun social events that you can participate in. Ocean Spray gives back to the community and it's employees with various rewards and recognition programs.

Cons

The interior of the corporate office needs an overhaul. The structure of the offices and cubicles is outdated and needs lots of TLC.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in trying to make Ocean Spray a great place to work!

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray (More than a year)

Pros

My team is very supportive, fun, and helpful. I am comfortable asking anyone here for help. I cannot speak for all departments but I have a great relationship with my manager and coworkers. We are always looking for good opportunities for each other and use each others' feedback all the time on projects. Our director ensures that all ideas are heard and that communication is unrestricted. I am always busy and have something new to work on. My favorite part about working here is that all of this is for the growers and their families, not some invisible, money-hungry shareholder. That means a lot to me.

The work perks are great. Exercise classes, beautiful bogs to jog around at lunch and lots of resource groups for employees. The resource groups have been a great networking opportunity for me. I also enjoy the flexibility- if you need to work from home occasionally, that's acceptable. Ocean Spray does a good job with work/life balance for those who choose to schedule their time that way,

Cons

Because many people have been here for a long time, they can be quick to judge. As a young employee trying to champion change and innovation for the new generation coming into the workforce, I get pushback because "that's not the way we do it here."

However, it does show the dedication that people have for this brand and heritage, I just wish it wasn't so difficult to convince people on change for the better. The benefit of this is that it makes me double check all of my facts before attempting to make a change. If I'm going to convince people who have been here for 30 years that there's a more efficient way to do something, I better make sure I know what I'm talking about!

Advice to Management

Ocean Spray could have less turnover with younger employees if they invested in them and allowed them to be more creative. After all, they are the next generation of executives, managers and directors. If we train them the way we always have, we will never keep up with companies that strive for innovation and efficiencies. It's important to keep them here because there is so much institutional knowledge that will be lost when the older generation retires in the next 5-10 years. There needs to be a push to keep the institutional knowledge while thinking outside the box for the future.

"Proud to work for Ocean Spray"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

Pros

Ocean Spray is an exciting brand with great innovative (as well as classic) products. I love knowing that we work for cranberry farmers who own the company. The people who work here are smart, talented, and dedicated to building a bright future. There is a lot of opportunity to continue to grow the brand, especially with the amazing team that works here.

Cons

There are very few cons to working at Ocean Spray.

"Headed for bankruptcy within 18-24 months."

Former Employee - Former C-level Executive in Lakeville, MA
    Former Employee - Former C-level Executive in Lakeville, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong brand equity, high consumer brand awareness, tremendous potential.

Cons

Current leadership, company business model, innovation pipeline and marketing strategy are outdated, ineffective, unsustainable, and not working. They are, in fact, causing the company great harm. Current executive management team is incompetent on virtually all fronts. As they near retirement, and their legacies are being shaped, they seem content to keep patching the leaking holes in a sinking ship that needs major repair. Major (costly) surgery is needed, but band aids are cheap and leave enough in the budget after grower payout for bonuses. Meanwhile the company is on life support as they continue to lose share, sell less cranberry juice, see new competition hit the shelves, and lose brand equity with their top retail customers. Corporate employees, plant employees, cranberry growers, investors, and stakeholders have lost confidence in current leaderships capacity and ability to make sound decisions. Ocean Spray was downgraded by analysts to a BBB- credit rating, the lowest rating possible, limiting cash flow options and the ability to secure competitive interest rates. Grower lawsuits gaining traction, putting significant capital at risk, generating negative PR, and creating irreparable damage to grower relations. Plant closures, massive layoffs, loan defaults and bankruptcy seems, by many, to be inevitable. Arguably the worst part is, Ocean Spray continues to act as if there are no significant issues and par-for-the-course is an acceptable strategy going forward.

Advice to Management

Board, replacements are needed in every position at the executive leadership level in order to save the company from inevitable bankruptcy and to begin to develop a successful and sustainable future. My advice is immediately hire a top consulting firm to replace all current c-level executives. Recruit CPG veterans, with proven success in sales AND marketing, who encourage and embrace change, support the creative process and promote responsible risk taking. Rejuvenate company mission, vision, goals and objectives under new executive leadership team and announce organizational and cultural transformation and re-birth of Ocean Spray Cranberries to the loyal (and future) consumers that have, for way too long, been ignored. Acknowledge, to all invested parties, your newfound willingness to evolve, change and innovate with changing market and consumer landscape. Communicate internally these new executive leadership and organizational changes as necessary to salvage organization and jobs of thousands at corporate, plant, and grower level.

Ocean Spray Response

May 11, 2016 – President & CEO

Ocean Spray is not just an iconic brand it is also an agricultural cooperative, owned by the multi-generational farmers who grow our cranberries – which means we have a different mission than your ... More