Ocean State Job Lot Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Ocean State Job Lot CEO Marc Perlman
Marc Perlman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 20% employee discount, accommodates student schedule (in 22 reviews)

• Just as this company exploded from 1 store to 127, it's exploding just as fast with innovative ideas of how to TRULY be an employer of choice (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Point system is harsh but if your at work when scheduled it's effective (in 39 reviews)

• Started as part time Christmas help working into full time soon (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Intern to Valued Professional"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was fortunate enough to get in last minute into their first ever organized internship program in the Summer of 2016. The experience was amazing! It was paid and full-time, so not only did I make good money over the summer, I received College credits and learned so much. I was a Recruiting intern working under the Director of Recruiting as well as the Corporate Recruiter (both were and are amazing mentors!). Once I got settled and understood their systems, I was able to make a BIG IMPACT. By the time the Summer was over, I had compiled data and analytics for our recruiting department as well as helped with organizing our centralized recruiting process. I would have never imagined being able to make such a big impact; especially at a company of this size. The interns were also able to learn about different departments outside of the one they interned in. Every week we would have an intern lunch where a member of a certain department would come in and talk to us about their role. We had the opportunity to ask questions and get valuable insight on the company's operation as a whole, as well as different career paths. I interned in the Summer, but was also able to come back during my Winter break. This was awesome because I was able to make some money for the following semester. The best part though is that whenever I voiced to my supervisors what I enjoyed doing, they would give me projects that catered to what I liked. I loved diving into the numbers and analytics, so they gave me a lot of cool projects where I got to explore my talents and interests.

After I graduated college I did not plan on returning to the state of Rhode Island. After getting a job offer from OSJL though, I had to stay. It's been almost 6 months now and I love it! I've already received a promotion, more responsibilities and new challenges. I always feel like my input and ideas are not only valued, but implemented. It's refreshing to work with people who love their career, and want to put in the hard work to make the company better. If someone does an awesome job on a project or meeting, your hard work is recognized. An important aspect of a job right out of college for me, was to work at a place where I can learn and grow from the people around me. Working under a CHRO and Director of Recruiting that are so passionate about the work they do, the people they work with , and hire is such a pleasure.

This is longer than I expected so I'll wrap it up. If you are not a part of our company and reading this , you may be thinking "well this person is in recruiting, so obviously this is just another tactic". Of course I hope this helps people make the decision to apply for a position with us, but more importantly this is the truth. Lets keep it up!

Cons

No one would believe my "pros" if I didn't put any cons. I would say that the free lunch could be better, but as my parents said "beggars can't be choosers". Other than that, the room I work in is a little colder than I would like, but nothing an extra layer can't fix.

Advice to Management

Keep acknowledging hard work, and rewarding valuable employees. Lets all keep continually learning and getting better.

Dec 8, 2017

Thanks so much. As you know we are working hard in all our locations to be the best company to work for.

"Management"

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time

Pros

Ocean State Job Lot continues to grow while other retailers are facing challenges. OSJL opened five new stores in 2017 and completed a successful relocation of one location. OSJL celebrated 40 years of business in 2017 and was recognized by Forbes as a Best Midsize Employer. OSJL is committed to become an employer of choice. I'm proud to work for a company that supports and donates to the communities we do business in. OSJL recently donated 8 million pounds of food which required 200 tractor trailers to move all expenses paid. This is just one example of many philanthropic efforts at OSJL. If you work in the retail industry, I encourage you to consider Ocean State Job Lot if you are looking to grow and develop your career. I have been employed with OSJL over two years and I'm excited to see the direction the company is going. I look forward to many more years with OSJL!

Cons

None. I have had one of the best experiences in my 25 year career in retail.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. OSJL is moving in the right direction!

Jan 13, 2018

Thank you. It's always good to hear that our focus is being seen and appreciated. It is not easy and the challenge this year will be all managers staying focused and committed to our values.

3. "Area Supervisor"

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Managers throughout my 5 week training program were all very dedicated to my success and ensuring my training was up to par. All management and supervisors I work with have been great, many have worked their way up and are very willing to share their in depth knowledge. I love that the company is so into process improvement, and that despite being around for a long time are still willing to hear you out. I love what the company stands for and I think it’s an exciting time to be with OSJL as they continue to grow. One of my primary reasons for leaving a company I was with for so many years (and love!) was so that I could work somewhere that I could make a difference, and could help mold and shape. I also love how into the community they are, because I think the best way to be a successful business is to be apart of the community in which it is in. I’m excited to see many more years with OSJL

Cons

They could use some more focus on their customer service at store level, with more training tools and focus on training soft skills for their associates. As well as ensuring those who train, know how to train. Many associates are great and friendly but would have fewer customer related issues if they were taught how to handle issues more consistently.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve your focus on training associates and get all stores on the same page. You are going in the right direction, and your hard work and listening ear is much appreciated!

Jan 15, 2018 – Manager, Organizational and Leadership Development

Thank you for your review! Associate training and expanding our customer service offerings is one of our top priorities for 2018! Please contact me at 401-295-2672 x1179 with your ideas, we need... More

"Celebrating 35 years with OSJL!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OSJL is a great organization! I’ve been with the company for 35 years and have seen OSJL grow from many different locations and roles. I am still in awe of what the company has become and feel very lucky to have been part of the success of this team and the company!

Cons

really have no cons

Jan 13, 2018

What a great message and kind words. We are thankful for your effort and commitment to the company. Thank you

"Nice Place to Work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates are friendly, the company cares about people.
    We just had a really nice holiday luncheon and associates received gift cards to the stores. We get a special discount right before the holidays too.

Cons

Need a better cafeteria for this size of a company.

Jan 13, 2018

We agree. As you can see we have transitioned food service back in house and will be putting together a plan to increase service with quality food. Thank you for the feedback.

"falmouth osjl amazing company"

Current Employee - FES in Falmouth, ME
    Current Employee - FES in Falmouth, ME

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent company to grow with

Cons

as of now i have no cons love the work enviroment

Advice to Management

mannagement is doing and amaozing job for just opening less than a month ag

Dec 11, 2017

We are very excited to have you on the team. Thank you

"Best Place Ever!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falmouth, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falmouth, ME

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time

Pros

Ocean State has some of the friendliest people to work with from the road crew, store crew and people in corporate. Every one is more than helpful if you have any questions, need help doing a job or just making suggestions to help your job go quicker and easier. they have been flexible with scheduling in family emergencies and most supportive if you need a friend. you have room to continue to more up in the company and anyone that i have talked to about what they think about working here has nothing but great things to say.

Cons

I don't have any so far the job is great

Dec 11, 2017

Go Falmouth...Thank you

"My Management team was treated poorly"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Worcester, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was good for a long time when we worked as a team until 2 of the best Supervisors in the company got terminated due to the agenda of a few associates.As a result,morale and sales plummeted and made the place intolerable to stay at.

Cons

Lots of High School games by grown ups

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to examine the full picture before making silly decisions,loyalty and dedication is not appreciated.They got rid of 2 of the best in one of the best locations in the company.

Jan 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time. In all situations the leadership of the company looks closely at all situations and considers the points you made. We are a very fair, pro associate company. We are... More

"Priorities"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many good things happening from Benefits, HR, Distribution, and Philanthropy.

Cons

Twas the week before Christmas and all through OSJL's house, many creatures were stirring, especially the store support louse. Store stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that common sense, soon would be there. Instead what arrived with such a clatter, 15 policy updates that just don't matter. Picture requests were also passed out, if store support does not like them, an email calls you out.

Hello? Do we know there are only 11 more days until Christmas? Do we see that sales are soft? Our focus should be on customer service, selling goods, and sales; not on notice boards, pictures, and a daily checklist.

We are losing our way.

Advice to Management

Someone needs to step up and watch what is being done to the stores. Our priorities are off and it is costing the company sales.

Dec 18, 2017

Thanks for communicating your concerns. I would like to discuss this with you further. Please contact Store Operations at 401-295-2672 X1988. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

10. "N/a"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Boston, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There arent many pros to this job. We did het a 20% employee discount.

Cons

Poor management.
    Cashiers are treated poorly.
    Alot of gray areas when it comes to management and policy.

Advice to Management

Hire new or retrain the management you have.

Jan 13, 2018

We struggle when we hear this type of feedback. Everyone should know our open door should be used. It's disappointing to see this when it's too late for us to take action. It's also impossible when... More