Ocean State Job Lot Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Ocean State Job Lot CEO Marc Perlman
Marc Perlman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 20% employee discount, accommodates student schedule (in 21 reviews)

• I worked at both the Falmouth and Hyannis stores- the company strives to take care of its employees; they take the "employer of choice" very seriously (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Point system is harsh but if your at work when scheduled it's effective (in 39 reviews)

• Started as part time Christmas help working into full time soon (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Intern to Valued Professional"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was fortunate enough to get in last minute into their first ever organized internship program in the Summer of 2016. The experience was amazing! It was paid and full-time, so not only did I make good money over the summer, I received College credits and learned so much. I was a Recruiting intern working under the Director of Recruiting as well as the Corporate Recruiter (both were and are amazing mentors!). Once I got settled and understood their systems, I was able to make a BIG IMPACT. By the time the Summer was over, I had compiled data and analytics for our recruiting department as well as helped with organizing our centralized recruiting process. I would have never imagined being able to make such a big impact; especially at a company of this size. The interns were also able to learn about different departments outside of the one they interned in. Every week we would have an intern lunch where a member of a certain department would come in and talk to us about their role. We had the opportunity to ask questions and get valuable insight on the company's operation as a whole, as well as different career paths. I interned in the Summer, but was also able to come back during my Winter break. This was awesome because I was able to make some money for the following semester. The best part though is that whenever I voiced to my supervisors what I enjoyed doing, they would give me projects that catered to what I liked. I loved diving into the numbers and analytics, so they gave me a lot of cool projects where I got to explore my talents and interests.

After I graduated college I did not plan on returning to the state of Rhode Island. After getting a job offer from OSJL though, I had to stay. It's been almost 6 months now and I love it! I've already received a promotion, more responsibilities and new challenges. I always feel like my input and ideas are not only valued, but implemented. It's refreshing to work with people who love their career, and want to put in the hard work to make the company better. If someone does an awesome job on a project or meeting, your hard work is recognized. An important aspect of a job right out of college for me, was to work at a place where I can learn and grow from the people around me. Working under a CHRO and Director of Recruiting that are so passionate about the work they do, the people they work with , and hire is such a pleasure.

This is longer than I expected so I'll wrap it up. If you are not a part of our company and reading this , you may be thinking "well this person is in recruiting, so obviously this is just another tactic". Of course I hope this helps people make the decision to apply for a position with us, but more importantly this is the truth. Lets keep it up!

Cons

No one would believe my "pros" if I didn't put any cons. I would say that the free lunch could be better, but as my parents said "beggars can't be choosers". Other than that, the room I work in is a little colder than I would like, but nothing an extra layer can't fix.

Advice to Management

Keep acknowledging hard work, and rewarding valuable employees. Lets all keep continually learning and getting better.

Dec 8, 2017

Thanks so much. As you know we are working hard in all our locations to be the best company to work for.

2. "falmouth osjl amazing company"

Current Employee - FES in Falmouth, ME
    Current Employee - FES in Falmouth, ME

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent company to grow with

Cons

as of now i have no cons love the work enviroment

Advice to Management

mannagement is doing and amaozing job for just opening less than a month ag

Dec 11, 2017

We are very excited to have you on the team. Thank you

3. "Best Place Ever!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falmouth, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falmouth, ME

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time

Pros

Ocean State has some of the friendliest people to work with from the road crew, store crew and people in corporate. Every one is more than helpful if you have any questions, need help doing a job or just making suggestions to help your job go quicker and easier. they have been flexible with scheduling in family emergencies and most supportive if you need a friend. you have room to continue to more up in the company and anyone that i have talked to about what they think about working here has nothing but great things to say.

Cons

I don't have any so far the job is great

Dec 11, 2017

Go Falmouth...Thank you

4. "Alright job."

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time

Pros

Coworkers are awesome. Can stay busy.

Cons

Management is very favoritism towards certain people.
    Only certain people get to work on Sundays.

Dec 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. When we see these comments we as an organization want to listen and address concerns. We cannot do this because we do not what store to work... More

5. "Poor career choice"

Current Employee - Food Department Head
    Current Employee - Food Department Head

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with good hardworking people.

Cons

Management is poor. Poor Audit checks and Inventory is fully blamed on store employees, management will not push for employees to get a raise. Additionally, raises are preformance based, which means instead of every 6 months you get 25 or 50 cents. You could potentially get 5 or 10 cents. Full time hours are generally 37 hours. Pay is poor. Physical store cosmetics are old, dusty, aged. Ocean state donates only expired food, which is terrible. I am not happy to be here. I will not work for a company who treats their employees like idiots.

Advice to Management

Reorganize pay to every 6-12 months 25cents additional raise. Schedule 40 hours for full time employees. Lower management need management training and social understanding of everyday people. Treat employees better. Donate food that isnt expired.

Dec 8, 2017

We thank you for sharing your experience. We would love to connect and understand more so we have the ability to address cons as well as understand your advise to us. please call 401-295-7927 and ask... More

"My Employer of Choice"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for OSJL for 14 years. In that time I have seen incredible change for the good. In the last 2 years, Ownership, along with our CHRO have launched a full scale culture commitment with more incentives and improvements than in the 12 previous years! The feeling of Family is very much attributed to the TREAT program that began in our chain of stores has come to the Corporate Offices and Distribution Center which has improved the day to day interactions and promotes teamwork. We're on a smoke free campus, our health care coverage picks up the treatments when we want to quit smoking, have a weight loss program for those interested, the culture is health oriented.
    Company 20% discount in our stores, discounted tickets to national theaters, recreational/water parks, the three Company owned restaurants, the two Company owned car dealerships, medical coverage, dental coverage, direct deposit, FSA....to name a few...
    Ocean State Job Lot has been extremely generous in our communities where we do business as well. Food Banks, Hospitals, Military, First Responders, the list grows every year...

Cons

Any cons that may have been here when I first started have long since disappeared, I truly don't believe there is anything negative related to OSJL,.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.........

Nov 9, 2017

Thank you. We are working hard and we see the commitment by everyone. That's what makes great companies.

"It gets better and BETTER!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SO many changes occurring. I can't tell you how many times I came close to leaving this company in the over 10 years I've been here. It would have been the biggest mistake of my life. Every single week I see more changes happening. The benefits ALONE are worth working here. Just as this company exploded from 1 store to 127, it's exploding just as fast with innovative ideas of how to TRULY be an employer of choice. Forbes was right!!! If you're an AWESOME, UPBEAT, PRODUCTIVE type worker, PLEASE COME JOIN US!!! Job Lot's retail brick and mortar footprint will endure all challenges. We're going to need reliable team members to continue this momentum.

Cons

I have no cons to list.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate all the changes you've made to make our work atmosphere fun to be in, our jobs incredibly challenging, our benefits FASTLY becoming second to NONE, and MOSTLY to making me look forward to coming to work every day. I know some people will have their negative comments, but I have seen nothing but HUGE changes - the likes of which I've never seen with any other company.

My advice is to continue doing what you're doing. You're breeding loyalty through your generosity and commitment to make our lives better in every way. THANK YOU!!!

Nov 9, 2017

Wow, thank you for the feedback and know we challenge ourselves everyday to continue to look at ways to make this even better.

8. "Not what’s it vlaims"

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits ok Time off ok

Cons

No regard for stores conditions. Shoving freight into stores and then blaming them for not controlling

Advice to Management

Store mgnt is fine. Above that has no clue

Dec 8, 2017

We are thankful for the time you took to write the review. If you have time to call so we can better understand your concerns, please call our Director of Store Operations at 401-295-2672.

"Fes"

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time

Pros

Great company great employees fair love working thete

Cons

Wish we could have better pay

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job

Nov 9, 2017

Thank you for sharing some quick thoughts. We would love to hear from you, please reach out to your RHRM or to the DM at anytime.

"Run Forrest....Run"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Wethersfield, CT
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Wethersfield, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My hourly co-workers were awesome. Great team spirit. Always busy - never a dull moment. Schedule was Monday - Friday 7am - 3pm. There is room for advancement if retail is for you. Good perks outside of work for employee's.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage but that's retail for you. Having to run the front end due to scheduling errors and call outs. (this happens multiple times weekly and for full shifts) That leads to not being able to perform job functions and in turn to failed audits. They (3rd one in 5.5 years) did not know how to make a schedule and dodged all customer service issues. ( for instance, hiding behind row's, peaking around the corner and watching and waiting as the dispute erupts; and waiting until the irate customer leaves and then to surface from hiding out) Failure to back up the front end on multiple issues like this and so I would step in to assist my staff.
    Sadly, employee relations does not relate. I had brought up several issues and emailed employee relations, and nary a soul did anything to assist me. (and I thought they were there to help - promises, promises)
    (My advice .........Get a union in here and maybe better management might be hired and the pay will be much better)
    My work was sabotaged routinely and I was bullied regularly for the last 10 months I was there. Not a pleasant work environment to be involved in. It's as though that when new management comes into play, if they don't like you, they will make your life heck until you quit or they fire you. Be prepared......

Advice to Management

Stop transferring managers every 2 years and fire them. You have an exorbitant amount of managers that should be fired, yet all's the company does is transfer them to another store. The issues stem from sexual harassment to bullying and beyond. And yet, the company keeps these managers on board and transfers them within the district. Yet, you dismiss a super manager or assistant manager for some made up scheme by your district managers. Shame on you all for ALLOWING this! Sometimes I wonder how you can live with yourselves knowing this.
    My last manager has been cutting out ALL full time employee lunches off the schedule so they have better numbers & bigger bonuses - this also should be looked into. Unfortunately, there are no values here at OSJL.

Dec 8, 2017

Thank you for the detailed note. Thank you also for a location so we can address your concerns. We wish you the best of luck..