Ocean State Job Lot Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ocean State Job Lot CEO Marc Perlman
Marc Perlman

Pros
  • 20% employee discount, accommodates student schedule (in 19 reviews)

• OSJL is working tirelessly to become an Employer of Choice (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Point system is unfair and outdated (in 37 reviews)

• Started as part time Christmas help working into full time soon (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My Employer of Choice"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company of strong values and a commitment to give back to our communities.
    Very good benefit package.
    An environment that promotes teamwork and inclusiveness.
    Rapidly growing and advancement opportunities at every level.
    Some great benefits you don't see in other companies (see below).

Cons

I truly don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

I want to share just one of the many reasons why OSJL has been my Employer of Choice for over 6 years. It was communicated to our job force that as an employee of OSJL all associates would receive discounts at 2 car dealerships for themselves and their families. I didn't think much of it until I needed a car for my daughter. As one of the dealerships is over an hour away I wasn't very hopeful that the discount would be enough to make it worth the drive. I asked about a Chevy Malibu, 2 years old and in excellent shape. The price I was given was just unbelievable!!! I could not resist and my daughter is driving the car today!! Not only did we get a great price but the folks at Cerrone's Chevy were terrific, treating us like family. I must have looked surprised because the gentleman I was dealing with said to me "Marc (OSJL CEO) insists this be a great deal for you". I have never worked for a company who's CEO was so passionate about people and this is just one example out of many. And, by the way, this discount is for all associates, not just management! I was hired by this great company 6 years ago as a Store Manager, promoted to a District Manager 4 years after that and I enjoy watching this company continue to grow. If you want to be part of a great team, this is the place for you. You will work hard but be rewarded in so many ways.

Feb 3, 2017

We are very proud of our team and we know that without you are dedicated associates, we would be just another company. Thank you for sharing and leading!

2. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Cashier in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time

Pros

Awesome place to work.. nice and friendly coworkers.. love working here

Cons

No bad comments... This place is awesome

3. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in East Falmouth, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in East Falmouth, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at both the Falmouth and Hyannis stores- the company strives to take care of its employees; they take the "employer of choice" very seriously. The company is solid and growing and there is plenty of room for advancement. I never felt like just a number at OSJL as the hire ups are extremely engaged in the business. I left OSJL for reasons unrelated to the company.

Cons

I had wished that they had more items on automatic replenishment - but that's hard to do when product changes on a regular basis. Just the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep Up The Good Work- Ocean State Job Lot is A Great Company!

May 23, 2017

Thank you and we wish you the best of luck!

4. "Great Job for my first job in Retail"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Ossipee, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Ossipee, NH

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like that the management team is very patient and understanding. It helps me understand the job that I have to do and not be so anxious in what is expected of me which was the case at a previous place of employment. In the year and a half, that I have been at OSJL I feel I am at a much better place and usually look forward to going to work.

Cons

sometimes different people are not on the same page as others and give you mixed information or expect different things out of you I get that this is part of only being Human but it would be nice to know that everyone in a team has similar expectations.

Advice to Management

Let's keep doing what we have been doing and keep moving forward in this increasingly crazy world that we live in.

May 10, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. It's because of you our dedicated associates that we win the awards we do. Thank you very much and together we will move forward.

5. "Growing Company"

Current Employee - Communications/Social Media in North Kingston Beach, RI
    Current Employee - Communications/Social Media in North Kingston Beach, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for growth within the company if you work hard, great mentors available to learn from, great benefits available to both full and part time associates, major improvements on internal communication, company is always asking for suggestions on how to make it a better work place, lots of longevity within the company which shows people are happy, confident and compensated for their work

Cons

the clock in/out process is too strict, not eligible for vacation until after 1 year of working with the company, OSJL is working on becoming more adaptable and up for beneficial change but I often hear the saying "this is how we've always done it".

Advice to Management

keeping things fresh, new & exciting is always beneficial for your teams' success

May 10, 2017 – Internal Communications Manager

We appreciate the feedback and the time you took to share your thoughts. We are working hard to keep the progress going. We are pushing and will continue to push forward but away from a "this is how ... More

6. "Great Career Choice!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrington, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrington, CT

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Like any other job, you get what you put into it! I read all these negative comments about how you can't make a career with this company and how the attendance policy isn't fair. I am proof you can make a career with this company. I have been on both side of being hourly and salary. All they ask from employees is to show up to work do your job and do it well! Take pride in your work and further more in yourself! Train others to look up to you and want to grow with the company!!! This company loves to promote from within for the associates that are willing to put in the time and sweat to prove they can move up! I have worked for retailers that overlook the good ones inside and pull only from the outside. The benefits alone you will never find a company that treats you this good! Vacation, personal and sick time even for part time employees! Discounts for theme parks and movies! I'm proud to say I'm a employee at OSJL!

Cons

RF guns would make our day to day processes easier! Planogram walks and printing labels would be much quicker! Better quality walkie talkies with good headsets would be nice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! As a company we are moving in the right direction.

May 10, 2017

Thank you for the time and thoughts..We will share your cons with our store operations team. We will only move forward with committed associates like you...

7. "Cashier/ Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Norwood, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, but not worth the effort.

Cons

Company policies are horrible regarding breaks, calling out or leaving sick, and benefits

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, especially those who show up every day and take their job responsibilities seriously.

May 23, 2017

Thank you for the time and for sharing your thoughts. We are disappointed that we did not receive this feedback while you were employed. Best of luck and we will share this with the store teams.

"So glad I came on board"

Current Employee - Manager, Organizational and Leadership Development in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere, employee focused and customer focused. The value the company provides to customers and associates is amazing. Every day I become more proud to work at OSJL.

Cons

Some of the processes and policies are antiquated but they're working on that. Some employees are resistant to change - the changes are to help us grow and be THE player in the discount retail space. The things we sell people usually don't buy online so that's why we keep growing. But with the growth comes an increasing need for excellence and continuous improvement and so of the more tenured staff wants us to stay the same.

Advice to Management

Keep making the great changes while maintaining the core values by which you operate.

Apr 4, 2017

We are so glad you came on board...Together we are all making a good company great!

"Great Place To Start A Career"

Current Employee - District Manager in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - District Manager in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefit package available for full and part time associates
    Great Discount
    Solid growing company opening new locations every year
    Many new and exciting products

Cons

Not enough control over inventory levels

Advice to Management

Be a strong leader and treat others as you would like to be treated

Apr 4, 2017

Great advise. Thank you! If you have a specific concern please reach out to your HR partner.

10. "Thank You to All Associates"

Current Employee - Leadership in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Leadership in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are so proud of all associates. Seeing and hearing about the number of letters coming into the office on what makes Associates proud to be part of this family. Recognizing that the company values us and listens. Support for families with a full service Employee Assistance Program. Paid Life Insurance for all Associates working 40 hours or more. Recent notes on our car purchase program. Everyone recognizes the strides that OSJL is making.

Cons

I would call this opportunities. We as a company (including all Associates) need to continue to make the company great. The ownership sits with all of us and pushing ourselves to be the best we can be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus and the momentum. Continue to recognize the efforts of all Associates.

Apr 5, 2017

Thank you. 1 point to note. Life insurance is for all Associates working 20 hours or more...