Ocean State Job Lot Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ocean State Job Lot CEO Marc Perlman
Marc Perlman

Pros
Cons
  • Point system is unfair and outdated (in 37 reviews)

• Paygrade very low and full time position are extremely hard to get (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My Employer of Choice"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company of strong values and a commitment to give back to our communities.
    Very good benefit package.
    An environment that promotes teamwork and inclusiveness.
    Rapidly growing and advancement opportunities at every level.
    Some great benefits you don't see in other companies (see below).

Cons

I truly don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

I want to share just one of the many reasons why OSJL has been my Employer of Choice for over 6 years. It was communicated to our job force that as an employee of OSJL all associates would receive discounts at 2 car dealerships for themselves and their families. I didn't think much of it until I needed a car for my daughter. As one of the dealerships is over an hour away I wasn't very hopeful that the discount would be enough to make it worth the drive. I asked about a Chevy Malibu, 2 years old and in excellent shape. The price I was given was just unbelievable!!! I could not resist and my daughter is driving the car today!! Not only did we get a great price but the folks at Cerrone's Chevy were terrific, treating us like family. I must have looked surprised because the gentleman I was dealing with said to me "Marc (OSJL CEO) insists this be a great deal for you". I have never worked for a company who's CEO was so passionate about people and this is just one example out of many. And, by the way, this discount is for all associates, not just management! I was hired by this great company 6 years ago as a Store Manager, promoted to a District Manager 4 years after that and I enjoy watching this company continue to grow. If you want to be part of a great team, this is the place for you. You will work hard but be rewarded in so many ways.

Feb 3, 2017

We are very proud of our team and we know that without you are dedicated associates, we would be just another company. Thank you for sharing and leading!

2. "Growing Company"

Current Employee - Communications/Social Media in North Kingston Beach, RI
    Current Employee - Communications/Social Media in North Kingston Beach, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for growth within the company if you work hard, great mentors available to learn from, great benefits available to both full and part time associates, major improvements on internal communication, company is always asking for suggestions on how to make it a better work place, lots of longevity within the company which shows people are happy, confident and compensated for their work

Cons

the clock in/out process is too strict, not eligible for vacation until after 1 year of working with the company, OSJL is working on becoming more adaptable and up for beneficial change but I often hear the saying "this is how we've always done it".

Advice to Management

keeping things fresh, new & exciting is always beneficial for your teams' success

3. "Great Career Choice!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrington, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrington, CT

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Like any other job, you get what you put into it! I read all these negative comments about how you can't make a career with this company and how the attendance policy isn't fair. I am proof you can make a career with this company. I have been on both side of being hourly and salary. All they ask from employees is to show up to work do your job and do it well! Take pride in your work and further more in yourself! Train others to look up to you and want to grow with the company!!! This company loves to promote from within for the associates that are willing to put in the time and sweat to prove they can move up! I have worked for retailers that overlook the good ones inside and pull only from the outside. The benefits alone you will never find a company that treats you this good! Vacation, personal and sick time even for part time employees! Discounts for theme parks and movies! I'm proud to say I'm a employee at OSJL!

Cons

RF guns would make our day to day processes easier! Planogram walks and printing labels would be much quicker! Better quality walkie talkies with good headsets would be nice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! As a company we are moving in the right direction.

"So glad I came on board"

Current Employee - Manager, Organizational and Leadership Development in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere, employee focused and customer focused. The value the company provides to customers and associates is amazing. Every day I become more proud to work at OSJL.

Cons

Some of the processes and policies are antiquated but they're working on that. Some employees are resistant to change - the changes are to help us grow and be THE player in the discount retail space. The things we sell people usually don't buy online so that's why we keep growing. But with the growth comes an increasing need for excellence and continuous improvement and so of the more tenured staff wants us to stay the same.

Advice to Management

Keep making the great changes while maintaining the core values by which you operate.

Apr 4, 2017

We are so glad you came on board...Together we are all making a good company great!

6. "Thank You to All Associates"

Current Employee - Leadership in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Leadership in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are so proud of all associates. Seeing and hearing about the number of letters coming into the office on what makes Associates proud to be part of this family. Recognizing that the company values us and listens. Support for families with a full service Employee Assistance Program. Paid Life Insurance for all Associates working 40 hours or more. Recent notes on our car purchase program. Everyone recognizes the strides that OSJL is making.

Cons

I would call this opportunities. We as a company (including all Associates) need to continue to make the company great. The ownership sits with all of us and pushing ourselves to be the best we can be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus and the momentum. Continue to recognize the efforts of all Associates.

Apr 5, 2017

Thank you. 1 point to note. Life insurance is for all Associates working 20 hours or more...

"Great Place To Start A Career"

Current Employee - District Manager in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - District Manager in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefit package available for full and part time associates
    Great Discount
    Solid growing company opening new locations every year
    Many new and exciting products

Cons

Not enough control over inventory levels

Advice to Management

Be a strong leader and treat others as you would like to be treated

Apr 4, 2017

Great advise. Thank you! If you have a specific concern please reach out to your HR partner.

8. "Poor management"

Current Employee - Cashier in Meredith, NH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Meredith, NH

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule there are a couple nice employees

Cons

Short breaks poor management

Advice to Management

Stop showing favratisim and special treatment also when you approach management about an issue it should be dealt with poor communication on management part

"Seabrook #414"

Current Employee - Receiver in Seabrook, NH
    Current Employee - Receiver in Seabrook, NH

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Willing to work with you in anything that is coming up that might interfere with your schedule .

Cons

Maybe invest in a scanner system to keep better track of inventory in the future, it might help out with just incase if a item is misplaced in the backroom in not the correct spot that we will know that we do have it back there and to make sure in the future that it will get put back correctly .

Advice to Management

keep up the great work. I am very pleased to see all of the great teamwork and also to see such a high spirited team together and working to get this store going and in business soon. Everybody is very friendly and I was very pleased with my process into getting on the team , im very well looking forward to see where I will get into the company after some time here .

Mar 9, 2017

Great to hear and please feel free to speak with anyone at anytime. Please know we are committed to all of the teams and hearing good news is awesome!

10. "Don't believe the hype."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Groton, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It can be an interesting place to work. There are some good people in the Regional and store management positions.

Cons

The corporate management and district positions lie and make promises they do not fulfill. They show favoritism and inconsistently apply policies. They twice negatively affected raises and bonuses due to injuries occurring on the job, both were workers compensation and neither was due to negligence on my part. Another year bonuses and raises were lowered due to the landlord raising the rent. The owners make grand gestures to appear civilly responsive but yet do very little to improve the life experience of the people who drive their business and accrue their wealth.

Mar 28, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. It appears you are no longer with the company. The Director of Store Operations would love to speak with you and gain further feedback. Please call 401-595-7927

11. "Operations Manager position"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It seems like a job and place I would love to work at I love the way they express their compassion and I am so firm with saving money but having a Hugh profitability I feel I would've been a perfect fit, I have done Operations management for mire than 25 years always had the least variances and I always had perfect tills and deposits I would love to work for this company

Cons

Everytime the job becomes available I sign up was told by the bangir me 04401 store their corporations make the decision but yet everything I sign up and for a application with a resume I hear nothing and it does not make any since with my experience and success with Operations aND over 30 years in retail management I feel I am so qualified it's not making any sense why I never am at least looked at

Advice to Management

Please take notice of the exceptionally experience professionals that's done Operations for many many years and been extremely successful at it. I would love you work with your company

Mar 28, 2017

Thank you. We will share your concern with our Director of Store Operations. We also appreciate the effort and time you have put in with the company.