Ocean Tomo Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

1 Rating

"Good company"

Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was great. The people taught me a lot about business, financial analysis,and intellectual property. The office space was very nice. Social activities were good. I learned a lot, got to travel, and had great co-workers; not sure what else I could ask for. The only reason I left was because I got an unbelievable offer from a dotcom. Otherwise I would have stayed.

Cons

I've read some of the other reviews on here and I'll agree that it would be nice to have matching for the 401k. Not sure about some of the other negative comments as I was always treated well, though more transparency on firm revenue and earnings would have been good (to say "we are profitable" but not telling everyone how MUCH profit seems a bit too secretive).

Advice to Management

Although the space was very nice, all the Analysts (like me) had to sit in cubes, even when there were open offices available. Hey, would it have killed you to let some of us have a windowed office, even if only for a few months?

2. "Good clients and projects, but internal challenges exist"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is well connected within the patent & IP industry allowing for great opportunities with great clients. The Company is well known within Big Law and C-Suites. Personal development is driven by an individual's ambition and desire to advance.

Cons

Reasonably decent pay through Associate/Director level, but bonus program is limited and there is virtually zero chance of becoming an equity partner. Therefore, most of the best senior talent leaves in short order.

Management has a very onerous non-compete at the Director level and up.

Advice to Management

Do more to keep your talent by sharing the upside in cash or equity.

"Disappointing executive conduct and monotonous lifestyle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associates get their own offices, so you can feel like a big shot even though you're doing horribly monotonous work
    Most of the lower-level employees are competent and helpful. The smart ones leave soon after arriving, however, so overall quality of peers is not impressive.

Cons

Many executives cut corners and seem to be dishonest about what they're doing. Constant fire drills to cover up past mistakes that could have been avoided with better organization, attention to detail, and standards.
    HR is more or less nonexistent for the purposes of reporting feeling uncomfortable at work, so be prepared for an awkwardly threatening boys' club if you're female and a peer-pressure-laden fraternity lifestyle if you're a male. It's as if management never got the opportunity to be "cool" during the appropriate time in their lives and are trying to make up for it now.
    Very monotonous work, especially for analysts.
    Long work hours and complete disregard for personal lives - expect to work through weekends and holidays and late into the night.
    Pay is low for the industry, especially for analysts.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and have higher standards for work quality.
    Don't hire your best friends who have no idea how to do their jobs - hire based on ability and merit.
    Be respectful.
    Don't be so secretive about your schedules and be open to younger employees' desire to learn.

"Good career start"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This has been a great career starter (and I may stay in it for several years). The work is interesting and challenging. My coworkers are very helpful and the "higher ups" seek my opinion and involvement. Although this is a niche business a lot of what we do is transferable anywhere. I have learned great model building skills and business case skills.

Cons

Probably the biggest con is that we don't rotate through all the offices like I thought would happen. There are office in Houston and several west coast cities and in three years you'd think management could rotate me (and everyone) through them. Also, the break room should have new items added as not everyone plays pool or uses massage chairs. Maybe add some pinball games?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but give us even more freedom. Maybe allow everyone to pick which office they want to work in for 3 months out of the year. Also, while I appreciate the cell phone subsidy, it could be beefed up a bit.

"Great financial analyst job"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

I think the best thing about this place is the people. My coworkers are smart and helpful, people are fun to be around, and even the bosses are cool. The work is mostly challenging, but can sometimes be boring. The field (intellectual property) is unique and interesting. I'm building skills in both the financial area and the legal area so this is a good springboard to a lot of different careers.

Socially we have a lot of fun. We go out about once a month, and we just had a summer drinking and gambling cruise that everyone really enjoyed.

Cons

As mentioned above, the work can be mundane at times. But as I have gained more experience I have had less and less of that to do.

It would also be nice to have free lunches. I have a couple friends that work at start-ups and they get all their lunches for free. Here we only get free soda, ice cream, and lunch a couple times a month.

Advice to Management

If you give us free lunches we will probably work harder (hint hint). Also, it would be nice to have a rotation program where we can work in the other offices, especially San Francisco in the winter time.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

Challenging work. Unique work. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I joined but things have worked out pretty well. It's almost like a cross between finance and the law. Is the work sometimes repetitive? Yes, but that is the nature of preparing reports for litigation, as everything has to be 100% perfect or the expert (my boss) will get killed on cross examination. Like a lot of professions this one gets more interesting as you stick with it since you have more client-involvement and higher level work.

Work/life balance is good. I have had some 80 hour weeks and some weekends, but I also have had lots of "easy" weeks and have taken several weeks of vacation a year.

Cons

As others have mentioned, 401k match is lacking. The monthly firm outings have also seemed to have dropped to every other month and I wish we still went out every month. It would also be nice to get together with the other offices (we have offices in several cities) more than just once or twice a year. Maybe we should have at least three all-firm get togethers a year, one in each of the major offices.

Advice to Management

My advice is really related to my "cons". More outings and get togethers would improve morale I think. And a 401k match would be good too.

"Took awhile, but I finally found my "this is it!" company"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge in its field. I have learned a lot here in less than 2 years. The people here are the best. Everyone is willing to help and I learn from them every day. The work environment is very flexible, which makes it great for working mothers. The Chicago and SF offices are very nice (I have not been to the Houston office yet). And, while this may seem small, they pretty much pay for my cell phone. It's nice little gestures like that that really show they care.

Cons

Almost too much socializing. We go out monthly, have semi-annual all-company get-togethers, and there are the random "let's everyone grab something at the bar" nights. Last year I couldn't make it to everything (missed the Cubs rooftop and Whirlyball nights). Would be nice if they we got to vote on what nights the monthly outings are so I don't miss things.

Advice to Management

Management should promote their family-friendly attitude more. They have great family policies but downplay them (I almost did not accept the job because I didn't know about the flex time). I pretty much work 4 days a week, which in consulting is unheard of. In other words, dear bosses, don't be humble... tout what makes your great!

"Great people, space, and work. I really enjoy it here."

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, fun, and helpful coworkers. I love the people here. Management appears to really care about us. Great office space. The work is interesting and challenging, and it seems like I frequently learn something new.

Cons

Work can be erratic at times, with some unplanned late nights. While I understand this can happen in consulting, it still can be upsetting when I have to change my personal plans to finish a project.

Advice to Management

It would be good to have monthly outings, instead of only having "fun" nights every other month. This would be especially important if we have had to work any late nights.

9. "Great experience with friendly people"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location
    Friendly people
    Smart people
    Well-rounded individuals in and out of the office
    Learn some of the soft skills - they are all really good talkers since they work with clients and sell jobs
    Chicago's biannual meeting was always fun

Cons

Can feel lonely and stressed a couple of days - but you feel that in every job
    Work can get boring since you work with lots of data in MS Excel and type up reports in MS Word

"Great Space, great workers, not great management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great space, great offices, great people

Cons

management sucks! they don't always do what they say they will do.

Advice to Management

Be fair to all employees