KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

1. 5.0

Ocean Tomo Company Review

Oct 27, 2021 - Analyst in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ocean Tomo's culture has been fantastic! I started this job in March 2020, when work was fully remote, and even though I couldn't be with my coworkers in-person I still felt welcome and my colleagues are approachable and friendly. The work-life balance here has been great, and benefits are good too.

Cons

There is not much formal on-the-job training upon arrival, and a completely remote workplace (for the time being) can sometimes lead to communication issues.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent work/life balance

Oct 26, 2021 - Analyst in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Benefits: unlimited PTO (which you are encouraged to take), competitive salary and bonuses. • Mentorship program and open communication with managing directors. • Firm culture: everyone is intelligent and competent, everyone clearly cares about each other, and we frequently have fun firm-wide activities. • Reimbursement of CPA exam and additional certification costs. • Rarely have to work much more than 40 hours as an analyst/senior analyst. Work-life balance is highly valued. • No busy season! Specific cases can get busy, but we don’t have a 3-month period where everyone hates life.

Cons

Lack of diversity efforts – standard language about “we value diversity, equity and inclusion” but little to-no-effort from management to talk about these issues on a firm-wide basis. Recruiting pipeline and firm overall is heavily not diverse.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to start career

Oct 22, 2021 - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work at Ocean Tomo is incredibly engaging and allows analysts to work across a multitude of industries relating to their IP. Job responsibilities are varied and no day is exactly the same. Company culture is very welcoming and people are very receptive to questions while you are starting out.

Cons

The hours can be demanding as business demand increases. It is also not always clear who each analyst is reporting and this can leave you feeling a bit on an island without a central contact point.

4. 5.0

Great Environment

Oct 21, 2021 - Analyst in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love the people I work with. You can tell that management really cares about the office environment and culture. The work is exciting and face paced. Couldn't be happier

Cons

Information systems are not totally uniform so the onboarding process can be a little stressful from an IT perspective.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

friendly coworkers

Aug 3, 2021 - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

unlimited paid time off friendly coworkers reasonable work-life balance firm supporting on CPA and CFA

Cons

limited promotion opportunities training program to be improved It'd be nice to have tutors for new hires

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Excellent Growth Opportunites

Jul 6, 2021 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ocean Tomo grants new hires opportunities to gain a wide range of experiences through multiple cases.

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Took awhile, but I finally found my "this is it!" company

Jan 21, 2014 - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cutting edge in its field. I have learned a lot here in less than 2 years. The people here are the best. Everyone is willing to help and I learn from them every day. The work environment is very flexible, which makes it great for working mothers. The Chicago and SF offices are very nice (I have not been to the Houston office yet). And, while this may seem small, they pretty much pay for my cell phone. It's nice little gestures like that that really show they care.

Cons

Almost too much socializing. We go out monthly, have semi-annual all-company get-togethers, and there are the random "let's everyone grab something at the bar" nights. Last year I couldn't make it to everything (missed the Cubs rooftop and Whirlyball nights). Would be nice if they we got to vote on what nights the monthly outings are so I don't miss things.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Hard but interesting work

Sep 10, 2019 - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very interesting work, smart coworkers

Cons

Very long and chaotic hours

9. 4.0

Associate

Jun 23, 2015 - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging work. Unique work. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I joined but things have worked out pretty well. It's almost like a cross between finance and the law. Is the work sometimes repetitive? Yes, but that is the nature of preparing reports for litigation, as everything has to be 100% perfect or the expert (my boss) will get killed on cross examination. Like a lot of professions this one gets more interesting as you stick with it since you have more client-involvement and higher level work. Work/life balance is good. I have had some 80 hour weeks and some weekends, but I also have had lots of "easy" weeks and have taken several weeks of vacation a year.

Cons

As others have mentioned, 401k match is lacking. The monthly firm outings have also seemed to have dropped to every other month and I wish we still went out every month. It would also be nice to get together with the other offices (we have offices in several cities) more than just once or twice a year. Maybe we should have at least three all-firm get togethers a year, one in each of the major offices.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Great financial analyst job

Jul 9, 2015 - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I think the best thing about this place is the people. My coworkers are smart and helpful, people are fun to be around, and even the bosses are cool. The work is mostly challenging, but can sometimes be boring. The field (intellectual property) is unique and interesting. I'm building skills in both the financial area and the legal area so this is a good springboard to a lot of different careers. Socially we have a lot of fun. We go out about once a month, and we just had a summer drinking and gambling cruise that everyone really enjoyed.

Cons

As mentioned above, the work can be mundane at times. But as I have gained more experience I have had less and less of that to do. It would also be nice to have free lunches. I have a couple friends that work at start-ups and they get all their lunches for free. Here we only get free soda, ice cream, and lunch a couple times a month.

2 people found this review helpful