Ocean Tomo Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 27 reviews

3.4
Ocean Tomo CEO Andrew W. Carter
Andrew W. Carter
  1. "Great place to start career"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

High profile clients, good opportunities to move up, managers who really care about you, smart coworkers, great compensation, nice office spaces

Cons

No 401k match, sometimes clients have unexpected needs (but that dynamic exists in every industry)

Advice to Management

Keep developing junior staff

Ocean Tomo2017-10-03

"DO NOT JOIN THIS COMPANY IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER OFFER"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Annual gathering in Chicago - Great HR team - Good clients and projects - Unlimited PTO

Cons

- Compared to the amount of work, the base salary is SUPER low for Analyst role! - You have to work for 14-15 hours a day! This is serious! - No work-life balance - The managing director I worked for was so mean. never said "thank you" for working 15 hours/day and getting that project done!

Advice to Management

When I compare Ocean Tomo with my current employer, I feel like I was such a LOSER to stay there for almost 2 years. You need to train managing directors to appreciate the team when they work for long hours. Don't make people work for free. Pay overtime. It's not CHINA!

Ocean Tomo2018-08-08

"Weigh your options before joining Ocean Tomo"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The non-executive team is great. Most analysts, Associates, and Directors are smart and conscientious and, most importantly, are generally good people.

Cons

The firm suffers from a deep malaise - hard to detect during the interview process, but palpably evident once you're on the inside. Many (most?) employees are demoralized and seem to be looking for a way to escape. I certainly was! This all flows from the top: The executive team lacks a coherent vision, and the owners are primarily looking to cash in and head for the hills. While not immoral, they treat most employees...

Advice to Management

Spend more time thinking about the people who work for you, and less time on yourselves.

Ocean Tomo2017-11-14

"Good clients and projects, but internal challenges exist"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is well connected within the patent & IP industry allowing for great opportunities with great clients. The Company is well known within Big Law and C-Suites. Personal development is driven by an individual's ambition and desire to advance.

Cons

Reasonably decent pay through Associate/Director level, but bonus program is limited and there is virtually zero chance of becoming an equity partner. Therefore, most of the best senior talent leaves in short order. Management has a very onerous non-compete at the Director level and up.

Advice to Management

Do more to keep your talent by sharing the upside in cash or equity.

Ocean Tomo2017-01-09

"Analyst"

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

Team, environment, work-life balance

Cons

Management felt a bit disconnected

Ocean Tomo2016-12-20
  6. "Ocean Tomo Review"

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

Excellent company with solid leadership. Smart, driven professionals to learn from. Strong brand in its area. Excellent project exposure. Strong project flow.

Cons

The pros are significant -no cons to note.

Advice to Management

Excellent firm.

Ocean Tomo2016-09-29

"Disappointing executive conduct and monotonous lifestyle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Associates get their own offices, so you can feel like a big shot even though you're doing horribly monotonous work Most of the lower-level employees are competent and helpful. The smart ones leave soon after arriving, however, so overall quality of peers is not impressive.

Cons

Many executives cut corners and seem to be dishonest about what they're doing. Constant fire drills to cover up past mistakes that could have been avoided with better organization, attention to detail, and standards. HR is more or less nonexistent for the purposes of reporting feeling uncomfortable at work, so be prepared for an awkwardly threatening boys' club if you're female and a peer-pressure-laden fraternity lifestyle...

Advice to Management

Be more honest and have higher standards for work quality. Don't hire your best friends who have no idea how to do their jobs - hire based on ability and merit. Be respectful. Don't be so secretive about your schedules and be open to younger employees' desire to learn.

Ocean Tomo2016-07-19

"Generous compensation package but a bit too rigid of an organisational structure"

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

The company has a great compensation package and their flexible work schedule is second to none which makes work-life balance a priority at the company.

Cons

Like many companies they state they have an open-door policy but their organisational structure is quite rigid. This doesn't play well with an ambiguous growth strategy leaving opportunities for advancement vague.

Advice to Management

Spend more time sharing the company's growth strategy with the employees and perhaps they won't feel like career advancement opportunities are ambiguous.

Ocean Tomo2016-03-28

"Good company"

Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was great. The people taught me a lot about business, financial analysis,and intellectual property. The office space was very nice. Social activities were good. I learned a lot, got to travel, and had great co-workers; not sure what else I could ask for. The only reason I left was because I got an unbelievable offer from a dotcom. Otherwise I would have stayed.

Cons

I've read some of the other reviews on here and I'll agree that it would be nice to have matching for the 401k. Not sure about some of the other negative comments as I was always treated well, though more transparency on firm revenue and earnings would have been good (to say "we are profitable" but not telling everyone how MUCH profit seems a bit too secretive).

Advice to Management

Although the space was very nice, all the Analysts (like me) had to sit in cubes, even when there were open offices available. Hey, would it have killed you to let some of us have a windowed office, even if only for a few months?

Ocean Tomo2015-07-21

"Good career start"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This has been a great career starter (and I may stay in it for several years). The work is interesting and challenging. My coworkers are very helpful and the "higher ups" seek my opinion and involvement. Although this is a niche business a lot of what we do is transferable anywhere. I have learned great model building skills and business case skills.

Cons

Probably the biggest con is that we don't rotate through all the offices like I thought would happen. There are office in Houston and several west coast cities and in three years you'd think management could rotate me (and everyone) through them. Also, the break room should have new items added as not everyone plays pool or uses massage chairs. Maybe add some pinball games?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but give us even more freedom. Maybe allow everyone to pick which office they want to work in for 3 months out of the year. Also, while I appreciate the cell phone subsidy, it could be beefed up a bit.

Ocean Tomo2015-07-14