Ocean Tomo Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew W. Carter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Entry-Level Analysts Beware"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

-Work with some smart people
    -Learn about interesting technologies/topics
    -Good office space

Cons

-No integrity in the firm's senior leadership
    -Salary on a per hour basis is a joke (no 401K match either)
    -Bonus is a joke
    -Incredibly long hours and weekends doing trivial, monotonous work that can and will be slightly altered and need to be completely redone on the whim of a director or managing director
    -1/2 the job of an analyst is to check and recheck sentences and numbers in reports

Advice to Management

Be more open and less secretive. Treat your employees with respect. If you anticipate that a project will cause someone to work 80 hour weeks, maybe staff some more people on it. Hire more people instead of pouring the money into luxury cars.

"Analysts/entry-level job candidates, stay clear of Ocean Tomo"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

High expectations for quality of work product.

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, lack of leadership, negative environment, limited training and team collaboration, endless hours performing "mindless" work (example: searching for specific information from boxes and boxes of documents), limited engagement, very isolated environment.

Advice to Management

The company may advertise family values (listed below), but its senior managers should act more to demonstrate these values on an every-day basis.

"We value quality, integrity and honesty.

Ocean Tomo is a united family - we work together to help each other.

We are responsible to our investors, our management partners and employees, and ourselves. We do not stray from our investment thesis or our values.

Every activity in which we participate should yield a return through goodwill or new direct or indirect opportunities.

We are respectful of the firm's heritage to which we are custodian - every person we meet should be impressed by our professionalism and values.

Criticism must be constructive; family criticism must be private.

Time is our most valued commodity - any potential client we meet or transaction we consider should be of high quality and relevant to our Mission and investment thesis.

Under-promise and over-deliver; aim high but don't overstate.

We work hard in a smart and efficient way remembering the importance of balance in our life.

Our effort is 110% - anticipate your expected contribution and then outperform."