Ocean Tomo Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ocean Tomo Managing Director, COO Andrew W. Carter
Andrew W. Carter
1 Rating

1. "Very good place to work, learn, and make friends."

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great culture and people. Less like an impersonal business and more like a family working together. They constantly provided me opportunities. I learned a ton while I was there (left to go into a completely different line of work). Good mix of "regular" and "new" projects. Sometimes the hours were long but at least we were all working together.

Cons

They do not match 401k contributions and dental plan is below average. Other than that, things were great for a long time. Unfortunately, early this year things got a bit rough because of the economy and the "non team players" at the company began grumble and cause trouble. Once they left everything was good again though.

Advice to Management

I think the best advice I could give would be to tighten recruiting standards so no more "non team players" get back into the firm. A few bad apples can spoil the whole barrel.

2. "Very good company"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Excellent company to learn and grow with. My coworkers are great, probably the best anywhere. I have made many friends here at all levels of the company. We work on both "tried and true" things and cutting-edge ideas. Overall, a great place.

Cons

Most benefits are good (health plan and vacation are great), but the company does not match 401k contributions. I thought everyone did that.

Advice to Management

A week ago I would have said to do something fun for the summer, and then on Friday they announced that we would have a free ice cream cart in the office every Friday this summer. So someone is thinking ahead!

"Great place that I very much enjoy"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good mix of challenging work, interesting new projects, and "typical" assignments. My coworkers are great... all the people here are willing to help and are very friendly. The company promotes teamwork and "everybody getting ahead". Management has both true visionaries and good everyday managers.

Cons

The company offers unlimited time off with pay, which sounds great but it can be hard to get as much time off in large blocks as you want. Taking a few days or a week off a few times a year is easy. But trying to take more than 2 weeks off at once can be challenging. Last year I was only able to take 5 weeks off total, and was not able to take the month-long vacation I had hoped for.

Advice to Management

Don't offer free ice cream on Fridays in the summer so I don't get fat? Just kidding. But except for the vacation issue I think this company does a great job of working with people.

5. "Great experience with friendly people"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location
    Friendly people
    Smart people
    Well-rounded individuals in and out of the office
    Learn some of the soft skills - they are all really good talkers since they work with clients and sell jobs
    Chicago's biannual meeting was always fun

Cons

Can feel lonely and stressed a couple of days - but you feel that in every job
    Work can get boring since you work with lots of data in MS Excel and type up reports in MS Word

"Great people, space, and work. I really enjoy it here."

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, fun, and helpful coworkers. I love the people here. Management appears to really care about us. Great office space. The work is interesting and challenging, and it seems like I frequently learn something new.

Cons

Work can be erratic at times, with some unplanned late nights. While I understand this can happen in consulting, it still can be upsetting when I have to change my personal plans to finish a project.

Advice to Management

It would be good to have monthly outings, instead of only having "fun" nights every other month. This would be especially important if we have had to work any late nights.

"Took awhile, but I finally found my "this is it!" company"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge in its field. I have learned a lot here in less than 2 years. The people here are the best. Everyone is willing to help and I learn from them every day. The work environment is very flexible, which makes it great for working mothers. The Chicago and SF offices are very nice (I have not been to the Houston office yet). And, while this may seem small, they pretty much pay for my cell phone. It's nice little gestures like that that really show they care.

Cons

Almost too much socializing. We go out monthly, have semi-annual all-company get-togethers, and there are the random "let's everyone grab something at the bar" nights. Last year I couldn't make it to everything (missed the Cubs rooftop and Whirlyball nights). Would be nice if they we got to vote on what nights the monthly outings are so I don't miss things.

Advice to Management

Management should promote their family-friendly attitude more. They have great family policies but downplay them (I almost did not accept the job because I didn't know about the flex time). I pretty much work 4 days a week, which in consulting is unheard of. In other words, dear bosses, don't be humble... tout what makes your great!

"Great financial analyst job"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

I think the best thing about this place is the people. My coworkers are smart and helpful, people are fun to be around, and even the bosses are cool. The work is mostly challenging, but can sometimes be boring. The field (intellectual property) is unique and interesting. I'm building skills in both the financial area and the legal area so this is a good springboard to a lot of different careers.

Socially we have a lot of fun. We go out about once a month, and we just had a summer drinking and gambling cruise that everyone really enjoyed.

Cons

As mentioned above, the work can be mundane at times. But as I have gained more experience I have had less and less of that to do.

It would also be nice to have free lunches. I have a couple friends that work at start-ups and they get all their lunches for free. Here we only get free soda, ice cream, and lunch a couple times a month.

Advice to Management

If you give us free lunches we will probably work harder (hint hint). Also, it would be nice to have a rotation program where we can work in the other offices, especially San Francisco in the winter time.

"Good career start"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This has been a great career starter (and I may stay in it for several years). The work is interesting and challenging. My coworkers are very helpful and the "higher ups" seek my opinion and involvement. Although this is a niche business a lot of what we do is transferable anywhere. I have learned great model building skills and business case skills.

Cons

Probably the biggest con is that we don't rotate through all the offices like I thought would happen. There are office in Houston and several west coast cities and in three years you'd think management could rotate me (and everyone) through them. Also, the break room should have new items added as not everyone plays pool or uses massage chairs. Maybe add some pinball games?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but give us even more freedom. Maybe allow everyone to pick which office they want to work in for 3 months out of the year. Also, while I appreciate the cell phone subsidy, it could be beefed up a bit.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was great. The people taught me a lot about business, financial analysis,and intellectual property. The office space was very nice. Social activities were good. I learned a lot, got to travel, and had great co-workers; not sure what else I could ask for. The only reason I left was because I got an unbelievable offer from a dotcom. Otherwise I would have stayed.

Cons

I've read some of the other reviews on here and I'll agree that it would be nice to have matching for the 401k. Not sure about some of the other negative comments as I was always treated well, though more transparency on firm revenue and earnings would have been good (to say "we are profitable" but not telling everyone how MUCH profit seems a bit too secretive).

Advice to Management

Although the space was very nice, all the Analysts (like me) had to sit in cubes, even when there were open offices available. Hey, would it have killed you to let some of us have a windowed office, even if only for a few months?

11. "Ocean Tomo Review"

Pros

Excellent company with solid leadership. Smart, driven professionals to learn from. Strong brand in its area. Excellent project exposure. Strong project flow.

Cons

The pros are significant -no cons to note.

Advice to Management

Excellent firm.