Ocean Tomo Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"No clue about business"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

Pros

Relatively diverse workforce. Interesting ideas. Nice offices.

Cons

Too many ideas--no execution. Very political environment, stay away if you are not related to or know someone very well in the firm. Entire view of the management is on creating valuable IP (they have several patents and many pending) not business value--marketing, sales, and operations are not priorities.

Advice to Management

Split up the firm into services, products, auction, and investments. Too many conflicts of interest

"Patent Review Process"

Pros

Company was very professional from the start and you feel you're in good hands.

Cons

Ocean Tomo informs you that during the patent review they can use any data provided as they see fit as well as ask any question regarding the technology and say its part of the review process. This is data mining.

Advice to Management

Provide a non disclosure statement to patent owners before any information is accepted.

"sinking ship"

Former Employee - Director in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Ocean Tomo (More than a year)

Pros

None - awful place to work

Cons

Too many to mention but cliquish, secretive; bucket loads of management hubris; management blindspots; trivial place to work

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror

"Disappointing executive conduct and monotonous lifestyle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associates get their own offices, so you can feel like a big shot even though you're doing horribly monotonous work
    Most of the lower-level employees are competent and helpful. The smart ones leave soon after arriving, however, so overall quality of peers is not impressive.

Cons

Many executives cut corners and seem to be dishonest about what they're doing. Constant fire drills to cover up past mistakes that could have been avoided with better organization, attention to detail, and standards.
    HR is more or less nonexistent for the purposes of reporting feeling uncomfortable at work, so be prepared for an awkwardly threatening boys' club if you're female and a peer-pressure-laden fraternity lifestyle if you're a male. It's as if management never got the opportunity to be "cool" during the appropriate time in their lives and are trying to make up for it now.
    Very monotonous work, especially for analysts.
    Long work hours and complete disregard for personal lives - expect to work through weekends and holidays and late into the night.
    Pay is low for the industry, especially for analysts.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and have higher standards for work quality.
    Don't hire your best friends who have no idea how to do their jobs - hire based on ability and merit.
    Be respectful.
    Don't be so secretive about your schedules and be open to younger employees' desire to learn.

"Analysts/entry-level job candidates, stay clear of Ocean Tomo"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

High expectations for quality of work product.

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, lack of leadership, negative environment, limited training and team collaboration, endless hours performing "mindless" work (example: searching for specific information from boxes and boxes of documents), limited engagement, very isolated environment.

Advice to Management

The company may advertise family values (listed below), but its senior managers should act more to demonstrate these values on an every-day basis.

"We value quality, integrity and honesty.

Ocean Tomo is a united family - we work together to help each other.

We are responsible to our investors, our management partners and employees, and ourselves. We do not stray from our investment thesis or our values.

Every activity in which we participate should yield a return through goodwill or new direct or indirect opportunities.

We are respectful of the firm's heritage to which we are custodian - every person we meet should be impressed by our professionalism and values.

Criticism must be constructive; family criticism must be private.

Time is our most valued commodity - any potential client we meet or transaction we consider should be of high quality and relevant to our Mission and investment thesis.

Under-promise and over-deliver; aim high but don't overstate.

We work hard in a smart and efficient way remembering the importance of balance in our life.

Our effort is 110% - anticipate your expected contribution and then outperform."

"Entry-Level Analysts Beware"

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

-Work with some smart people
    -Learn about interesting technologies/topics
    -Good office space

Cons

-No integrity in the firm's senior leadership
    -Salary on a per hour basis is a joke (no 401K match either)
    -Bonus is a joke
    -Incredibly long hours and weekends doing trivial, monotonous work that can and will be slightly altered and need to be completely redone on the whim of a director or managing director
    -1/2 the job of an analyst is to check and recheck sentences and numbers in reports

Advice to Management

Be more open and less secretive. Treat your employees with respect. If you anticipate that a project will cause someone to work 80 hour weeks, maybe staff some more people on it. Hire more people instead of pouring the money into luxury cars.

7. "When the Going Was Good, It Was Great"

Pros

A company with a number of strong quality professionals. A great place to work if you are interested in chasing the next big thing or being the most innovative company out there. When the company was thriving, the environment was fun and upbeat.

Cons

Management seems to base business projections on best case scenario. Management slow to react and accept the changing economic environment. Empty promises made to employees about the future of certain business units. Promotions awarded based on questionable reasons.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider the viability of the company's goals and how realistic those goals are in the current market environment. Be straightforward with employees about business profitability.

"Great Space, great workers, not great management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great space, great offices, great people

Cons

management sucks! they don't always do what they say they will do.

Advice to Management

Be fair to all employees

"Generous compensation package but a bit too rigid of an organisational structure"

Pros

The company has a great compensation package and their flexible work schedule is second to none which makes work-life balance a priority at the company.

Cons

Like many companies they state they have an open-door policy but their organisational structure is quite rigid. This doesn't play well with an ambiguous growth strategy leaving opportunities for advancement vague.

Advice to Management

Spend more time sharing the company's growth strategy with the employees and perhaps they won't feel like career advancement opportunities are ambiguous.

"Analyst"

Pros

Team, environment, work-life balance

Cons

Management felt a bit disconnected