Ocean Tomo Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ocean Tomo Managing Director, COO Andrew W. Carter
Andrew W. Carter
1 Rating

1. "Good clients and projects, but internal challenges exist"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is well connected within the patent & IP industry allowing for great opportunities with great clients. The Company is well known within Big Law and C-Suites. Personal development is driven by an individual's ambition and desire to advance.

Cons

Reasonably decent pay through Associate/Director level, but bonus program is limited and there is virtually zero chance of becoming an equity partner. Therefore, most of the best senior talent leaves in short order.

Management has a very onerous non-compete at the Director level and up.

Advice to Management

Do more to keep your talent by sharing the upside in cash or equity.

"Analyst"

Pros

Team, environment, work-life balance

Cons

Management felt a bit disconnected

3. "Ocean Tomo Review"

Pros

Excellent company with solid leadership. Smart, driven professionals to learn from. Strong brand in its area. Excellent project exposure. Strong project flow.

Cons

The pros are significant -no cons to note.

Advice to Management

Excellent firm.

"Disappointing executive conduct and monotonous lifestyle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associates get their own offices, so you can feel like a big shot even though you're doing horribly monotonous work
    Most of the lower-level employees are competent and helpful. The smart ones leave soon after arriving, however, so overall quality of peers is not impressive.

Cons

Many executives cut corners and seem to be dishonest about what they're doing. Constant fire drills to cover up past mistakes that could have been avoided with better organization, attention to detail, and standards.
    HR is more or less nonexistent for the purposes of reporting feeling uncomfortable at work, so be prepared for an awkwardly threatening boys' club if you're female and a peer-pressure-laden fraternity lifestyle if you're a male. It's as if management never got the opportunity to be "cool" during the appropriate time in their lives and are trying to make up for it now.
    Very monotonous work, especially for analysts.
    Long work hours and complete disregard for personal lives - expect to work through weekends and holidays and late into the night.
    Pay is low for the industry, especially for analysts.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and have higher standards for work quality.
    Don't hire your best friends who have no idea how to do their jobs - hire based on ability and merit.
    Be respectful.
    Don't be so secretive about your schedules and be open to younger employees' desire to learn.

"Generous compensation package but a bit too rigid of an organisational structure"

Pros

The company has a great compensation package and their flexible work schedule is second to none which makes work-life balance a priority at the company.

Cons

Like many companies they state they have an open-door policy but their organisational structure is quite rigid. This doesn't play well with an ambiguous growth strategy leaving opportunities for advancement vague.

Advice to Management

Spend more time sharing the company's growth strategy with the employees and perhaps they won't feel like career advancement opportunities are ambiguous.

"sinking ship"

Former Employee - Director in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Ocean Tomo (More than a year)

Pros

None - awful place to work

Cons

Too many to mention but cliquish, secretive; bucket loads of management hubris; management blindspots; trivial place to work

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror

"Good company"

Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was great. The people taught me a lot about business, financial analysis,and intellectual property. The office space was very nice. Social activities were good. I learned a lot, got to travel, and had great co-workers; not sure what else I could ask for. The only reason I left was because I got an unbelievable offer from a dotcom. Otherwise I would have stayed.

Cons

I've read some of the other reviews on here and I'll agree that it would be nice to have matching for the 401k. Not sure about some of the other negative comments as I was always treated well, though more transparency on firm revenue and earnings would have been good (to say "we are profitable" but not telling everyone how MUCH profit seems a bit too secretive).

Advice to Management

Although the space was very nice, all the Analysts (like me) had to sit in cubes, even when there were open offices available. Hey, would it have killed you to let some of us have a windowed office, even if only for a few months?

"Good career start"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This has been a great career starter (and I may stay in it for several years). The work is interesting and challenging. My coworkers are very helpful and the "higher ups" seek my opinion and involvement. Although this is a niche business a lot of what we do is transferable anywhere. I have learned great model building skills and business case skills.

Cons

Probably the biggest con is that we don't rotate through all the offices like I thought would happen. There are office in Houston and several west coast cities and in three years you'd think management could rotate me (and everyone) through them. Also, the break room should have new items added as not everyone plays pool or uses massage chairs. Maybe add some pinball games?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but give us even more freedom. Maybe allow everyone to pick which office they want to work in for 3 months out of the year. Also, while I appreciate the cell phone subsidy, it could be beefed up a bit.

"Great financial analyst job"

Current Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

I think the best thing about this place is the people. My coworkers are smart and helpful, people are fun to be around, and even the bosses are cool. The work is mostly challenging, but can sometimes be boring. The field (intellectual property) is unique and interesting. I'm building skills in both the financial area and the legal area so this is a good springboard to a lot of different careers.

Socially we have a lot of fun. We go out about once a month, and we just had a summer drinking and gambling cruise that everyone really enjoyed.

Cons

As mentioned above, the work can be mundane at times. But as I have gained more experience I have had less and less of that to do.

It would also be nice to have free lunches. I have a couple friends that work at start-ups and they get all their lunches for free. Here we only get free soda, ice cream, and lunch a couple times a month.

Advice to Management

If you give us free lunches we will probably work harder (hint hint). Also, it would be nice to have a rotation program where we can work in the other offices, especially San Francisco in the winter time.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

Challenging work. Unique work. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I joined but things have worked out pretty well. It's almost like a cross between finance and the law. Is the work sometimes repetitive? Yes, but that is the nature of preparing reports for litigation, as everything has to be 100% perfect or the expert (my boss) will get killed on cross examination. Like a lot of professions this one gets more interesting as you stick with it since you have more client-involvement and higher level work.

Work/life balance is good. I have had some 80 hour weeks and some weekends, but I also have had lots of "easy" weeks and have taken several weeks of vacation a year.

Cons

As others have mentioned, 401k match is lacking. The monthly firm outings have also seemed to have dropped to every other month and I wish we still went out every month. It would also be nice to get together with the other offices (we have offices in several cities) more than just once or twice a year. Maybe we should have at least three all-firm get togethers a year, one in each of the major offices.

Advice to Management

My advice is really related to my "cons". More outings and get togethers would improve morale I think. And a 401k match would be good too.