Oceaneering International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oceaneering International President and CEO M. Kevin McEvoy
M. Kevin McEvoy

Pros
  • great people; always work to do; tip of the spear engineering; freedom (in 20 reviews)

• Good pay,real work experience, work alongside team of engineers (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't care about its employees in the slightest (in 13 reviews)

• Oil and Gas is going through a tough 2 years (in 6 reviews)

"Oceaneering International - a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

Pros

There's a great deal of opportunity at Oceaneering. You can work in a startup business unit such as BOP controls, or a more established business like ROVs. Pay is good, benefits are great, and the culture is heavily focused on safety and work/life balance.

Cons

While there's lots of opportunity, there's also a lot of risk, depending on where you work. In the BOP controls business for example, we are dependent upon one major customer for our business, and we're more than 2 years overdue on delivery (as of this writing, Oct 2008). In the ROV business, we have a huge chunk of the market share. As that portion increases, risk that our competition will begin to steal market share back increases.

Advice to Management

Formalize a performance feedback program. Currently, the only real feedback I get is at the annual review time. I'd really like to know about halfway through if I'm on the right track or if I need to improve.

2. "Oceaneering Space Systems"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX

Pros

-Interesting and Varied Projects
    -Cutting Edge Technology
    -Great Work Atmosphere
    -Overall Great Experience

Cons

-Slightly Lower Starting Salary than other places
    -Customers have unrealistic expectations at times

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

3. "Excellent Employer in the OIl and Gas Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great Benefits, good potential for upward movement in the organization.

Cons

Could be better at communicating company vision

Advice to Management

Could be better at communicating company vision to entir workforce (i.e. CEO Newsletter).

5. "Extraordinary mid-sized oil & gas services company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

diversity of work; best in business

Cons

high stress; long hours sometimes

Advice to Management

invest more in tools and training to improve efficiencies

6. "Great experience from a great teaching company that gives great experiences."

Current Employee - Tool Deisigner in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tool Deisigner in Houston, TX

Pros

I was able to move from Tooling Technician to Tooling designer quickly when I showed interest. I was mentored by a patient and very creative and experienced boss. Benefits are from what I can tell comparable to the best benefits I can get. Great environment and safety is clearly a number one priority that makes me feel great about going to work with what are sometimes otherwaise dangerous conditions.

Cons

When needed you have to work long hours, I see this from all positions. It is not really common, but coming into a deadline, or if there is an "emergency" in the Gulf you might find yourself working long hours to help out. Great for hourly employees like myself that wanted to earn more money, but I feel they shorted the salaried employees a bit with this.

Advice to Management

Great open door policy, very receptive to new ideas and feedback. Try to take your teams to lunch more often, thats always a very welcome gesture that strengthens moral.

7. "Great work environment for technically minded"

Current Employee - Engineer III (Project Engineer) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer III (Project Engineer) in Houston, TX

Pros

Fantastic work environment for self-motivated technical people. The Oceaneering culture is condusive to those that are self motivated and driven. There are lots of opportunities for the ambitious.

Cons

The same culture that works for self-motivated individuals does not work as well for those that are not used to blazing their own trail. Be prepared to do the work to learn the culture, the technology, and the industry when you join.

Advice to Management

Training has always been Oceaneering's weakness. This is improving somewhat, but most new employees still seem "lost" for the first few months.

8. "Great to be a part of a team that wants to be the best!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

They are always willing to help people achieve a higher education in the field that you are working in with a continouis education.

Cons

The only thing i can think of is the back stabbing people that work at certin facilitys.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and listen to what they have to say no matter if it is good or bad.

"A large business with a small business personality."

Current Employee - ROV Technician in Morgan City, LA
    Current Employee - ROV Technician in Morgan City, LA

Pros

Good work relations, management seems to step in and help build you as you move through the ranks, insurance is great, friendly environment.

Cons

The pay is good however it isn't that competitive with the rest of the industry, however it does get better as you proceed through the ranks

"Creativity Lab"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Oceaneering International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a place where new ideas are welcome and implementation of them is in your hands. Access to different training expedite professional develop for those seeking to learn.

Cons

It will take a couple years to build confidence and trust from your peers. It's not tolerant to risk what may keep aggressive projects out of plan.

Advice to Management

Develop a way to evaluate projects with higher risk managing it to acceptable level.

"Great company to work for, good benefits and a variety of skills with the ability for job advancement"

Current Employee - Payroll Administrator/Purchasing Clerk in Morgan City, LA
    Current Employee - Payroll Administrator/Purchasing Clerk in Morgan City, LA

I have been working at Oceaneering International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Job Advancement
    Variety of Skills
    Training Included
    Matches stock investments 100% after five years

Cons

If you are use to a small company, this company is not for you. Oceaneering is a big corporation with thousands of employees. Can make a person feel like just an employee instead of part of the family