Ochsner Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Ochsner Health System Reviews

Updated February 19, 2019

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible schedule; many opportunities for growth depending on the department" (in 17 reviews)

• "Flexible work life balance and great opportunities for employees to advance and receive top notch continuing education" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Seen lots of turnover because it's almost impossible to keep up with work and have a healthy work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Low pay, only 2% raise after a year depending on performance" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing Outpatient Rehabilitation"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ochsner Health Systems, through the variety of hospital locations and outpatient locations, provides a wealth of opportunity for professional growth for the new grad all the way to the experienced therapist.
    Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Rapid growth means a lot of changes on an ongoing basis

2. "Why I love working at Ochsner"

Current Employee - RN Nurse Supervisor in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - RN Nurse Supervisor in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time

Pros

There are multiple multiple ways of getting and staying engaged. Your opinion really counts. The A team rounds on us and no matter your location you will meet or we or be able to talk to members of the A team. Your voice and opinions matter! Your growth and level of exposure to education and opportunities are endless. Every day is a different day at work and even though I’m not a morning person, I look forward to coming to work. I love our Providers, my team and my coworkers. If you are looking for s great place to work. Look no further. You have found us!

Cons

So many options, educational opportunities, I don’t know if I could ever access them all

Advice to Management

Thank you for hearing us. It means so much!

3. "Low Starting Salary"

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

decent benefits, good learning network

Cons

starting salaries are low, hard to move up corporate ladder

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Physician Recruiter
    Current Employee - Physician Recruiter

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If your used to a large organization it’s not to difficult to get accustom. It’s all about the departments. Our department is wonderful but I hear often not all departments run a well.

Cons

Getting to know how the whole organization is interconnected.

"Unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time

Pros

Experience can be earned, as you’ll be wearing many hats.

Cons

Ochsner is rather delusional in their expectations- they like to grow but don’t think they need to higher more people to accommodate additional growth, nor pay existing employees competitively in order to keep the ones they have.

Advice to Management

You can’t grow without a competent support team. This means you need to hire more to accommodate growth, and compensate your employees accordingly.

6. "Ochsner telephone operator"

Current Employee - PBX Operator in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - PBX Operator in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job
    Very easy
    Flexible hours

Cons

Low Pay
    Hard to move up

"Employees great, organization not so much"

Former Employee - Staff RN in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great, providers seem to care and easy to work with.

Cons

OHS doesn't value their employees, treats them accordingly. Everyone stretched too thin. To maintain nonprofit status, continues buying practices and expanding hospitals and clinics, paying top executives higher salaries... still not staffing inpatient units appropriatley for nursing, using enough agency nursing when indicated, or increasing compensation for a majority of employees. Float nurses all the time to units they aren't familiar with.

Advice to Management

Provide EXTRA staffing (RNs and PCTs) for inpatient units, use agency nurses more frequently when needed to fill staffing gaps rather than floating your staff and making units figure it out without being staffed appropriately. Do something about employee parking. Everyone I know who worked for the organization complained and felt devalued when parking for employees keeps getting pushed further and further away, lots filling up quickly, have to make long hike to work (no one wants to wait around for/ take shuttles). Bad way to start a long day- all of this leaves employees feeling undervalued.

8. "Growing Big and Growing Stronger"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having been at OHS for 20+ years I’ve seen a lot of changes. I’ve seen us grow thru storms like Katrina, changes in healthcare like Obamacare and now the growing footprint of what is Ochsner. Ochsner has always been a leader within the healthcare industry and has always had the best team of workers to help carry that through. I’m very proud to be a member of a family that is rooted in Ochsner, with my mother, aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, children all working within the Ochsner Network Family.

Cons

If you ask any employee at Ochsner their number one complaint it would be pay. Ochsner is the lowest paying hospital in the region. We do a huge amount of work, and have a huge workload for the ever growing footprint of clinics and hospitals that Ochsner continues to take on, but yet our pay does not change or increase. We are expected to do much more work with the same and sometimes less people to do it with.

Advice to Management

Better pay for the increase in workload we’ve taken on. Listen more to the people who actually do the work. What looks good on paper may not translate well in practice. Supvs have entirely too many mtgs during working hours, that should be spent WORKING alongside their staff. Stop spending money on the big Christmas party and give us Christmas bonuses instead. Start an employee incentive program.

"Pathetic"

Former Employee - Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason to accept employment here is if no one else will hire you.

Cons

As a nonprofit, the organization does not encourage entrepreneurial approaches. The top down C-suite attitude encourages sycophants and ignores performance. Bowing and scraping is highly regarded and rewarded.

Advice to Management

Higher professionals who know how to manage personnel and offer competitive employee compensation packages. And don’t nickel and dime your staff on their reimbursable expenses. HR needs a complete overhaul. Promote based on performance not longevity and willingness to be servile.

10. "good"

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time

Pros

great place to work for

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company