Ochsner Health System "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ochsner Health System Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Mar 20, 2019

3.7
Ochsner Health System President and Chief Executive Officer Warner Thomas
Warner Thomas
Pros
Cons
  • "low pay, no advancement opportunities(in 24 reviews)

• "If you aren't a doctor, nurse or patient, upper management doesn't care(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good network, lots of potential for growth and movement"

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time

Pros

Huge network, plenty of options for career growth and expansion

Cons

Easy to get lost in system, little contact between upper management and employees

Advice to Management

More communication with lower levels, foster stronger connections to management

Ochsner Health System2017-01-08

"Horrible Upper Level Management--too much talking, not enough doing"

Current Employee - Supervisor in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best part of this job has been flexible schedule

Cons

If you aren't a doctor, nurse or patient, upper management doesn't care.

Advice to Management

Stop having meetings, start actually working and getting things done

Ochsner Health System2019-03-20

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Human Resources in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are everywhere and have multiple job openings. Lots of departments and advancement potential.

Cons

Rampant nepotism. Low salaries. Don't allow unions or any kind of worker rights. Very "top heavy" in leadership with strict hierarchy; you need permission to email anyone besides your immediate working team. Break protocol and you're reprimanded for disrespect. Brand new supervisors are allowed to fire people on a whim without HRBP or upper management approval. They are growing too fast for their own good. Avoid,... avoid, avoid.

Advice to Management

Stop growing and focus on employees and patient care.

Ochsner Health System2018-12-19

"Non-professional and lack of ability for management to manage."

Former Employee - Accountant II

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers and most managers cared about projects and employees. People worked well together.

Cons

Depts don't care about each other and upper management doesn't care about employees and issues with workload. Wastes money quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting moneyon pep rallies and start paying attention to the people who keep hospital running.

Ochsner Health System2017-07-11

"Great organization"

I have been working at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Great organization that embodies all core values. I can truly say this organization puts their patients first. I love the work I do and I say it has sparked an interest in me to continue this career path and continue to pursue certifications to enhance my knowledge.

Cons

Should offer flexible working schedules, benefits could be much better (offer tuition reimbursement up to $5250, health benefits and etc.) Working from home is allowed, but is frowned upon by upper management.

Advice to Management

Stop being upset when your employees express interest in other career opportunities within the hospital setting. It's your job to properly identify skill gaps and give them the opportunity to enhance those skills to move on to better positions. Management should always want to see their employees move on to better opportunities and not become complacent in their current role. I would like to see more diversity in... upper management (C suite and down). The organization needs to implement diversity and inclusion programs.

Ochsner Health System2016-09-06
  6. "Overall"

I have been working at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Very challenging upper management.

Ochsner Health System2016-04-14
  7. "Buyer Beware- A Sad Cycle in Ochsner History"

in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Young graduates can get clinical experience with fairly high tech equipment and an above average acuity of patient. Discount membership to their fitness center. Main campus continues to be slowly renovated improving the aesthetics of what clientele and patients see. Expansion from a stand alone hospital to a system that may compete with other systems in the South East.

Cons

Sadly, Ochsner was once the BEST place to work in New Orleans and probably top of the heap relative to most hospitals in the country. Those times are GONE as the current administration has completely destroyed the trusting atmosphere and lowered morale beyond anything that I had ever seen. The corporate structure modeled after a GE paradigm does not work and the "suits" have no clue what it takes to maintain a... satisfied employee base which contributes to quality care. Employees have been leaving in droves as Upper Management refuses to listen to its employees suggestions and in stead, pays million of dollar to outside consultant that know little about the cultural area. Ochsner has become it worst enemy and I see no recovery for a number of years and only when this set of administrators are eliminated. And even then, a return to a more pleasant and enjoyable working atmosphere will take more time to win the trust back from employees. DO NOT TRUST the HR department, as they are just a voice box for upper management, and continually change leadership striving to improve their negative image. Spending way too much money on rah rah sessions rather than putting the money to work by maintaining employees. So bad, they management have resorted to "creative" alternative methods to find new talent but unfortunately, new hires generally do not stay long due to the above mentioned issues.

Advice to Management

Does not matter what advice one gives as opinions from Ochsner current and former employees only serve management as ammunition against the employee and resulting in telling those individuals "they are not engaged". SMH!!!!!

Ochsner Health System2015-10-26
  8. "A hospital system in a sharp decline"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System for more than 10 years

Pros

"Integrated" system that has expanded rapidly due to the effects of hurricane Katrina. There are plenty of jobs there as transiency in employment seems to be the norm these days. Ownership of a health club that discounts for employees of Ochsner. Relatively high tech for the area but often purchase equipment in a haphazard way…image vs. usefulness, and yet computers are often broken down and not replaced.

Cons

Unfortunately for the system, Ochsner has been taken over by corporate "executives" that have very little clue on delivering quality medical care nor respecting its employees. Often under paid plus a created atmosphere of mistrust and micro management, some of its best and brightest employees have either left on their own or been penalized for speaking up of the negative changes that are occurring with the main... hospital. Upper management is clueless and in denial why so many employees are leaving and they tend to want to lay blame on middle management, the same ones they have replaced with their own choices. The Human Resources department and Talent Acquisition is a joke and a voice pipe for an inept upper management. Because of this relationship and subsequent actions on existing employees, mistrust has run amok and I truly believe there will have to be a complete replacement of most upper management and years of rebuilding employee trust that will improve the damage that has been done in just the last 2-3 years. Too bad as it used to be the crown of the South for employment, but the word on the street and it seems to be mostly accurate is STAY AWAY for your own mental health. I wish this was not true but ask most or read many of these posts and a consistency in comment evolves.

Advice to Management

Does not matter as your arrogance, denial, and expenditure of valuable funds on outside consultants have contributed to this downfall. My advice is start over in upper management from COO, CNOR, and several others in the misguided clique. The other hospitals in the area are laughing and thanking your for your conduct which has afforded many excellent employees other opportunities. So Sad really

Ochsner Health System2015-11-03

"Executive Assistant"

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful co-workers/colleagues. Great benefits. Stable employment One of the stronger places of employment in the not so stable landscape in the NOLA area. They genuinely care about employees! They truly try as well!

Cons

Low salaries. Upper management is in their own world. It's like they are in a completely different company. Such a different area than anywhere else in the hospital system. Needs to be that way everywhere else. They sometimes spend too much money on consultants ... to tell them what we have all done wrong, only to bring in a new system, change everything.... then to bring in a new consultant three years later to... tell us what we have all done wrong, etc. etc. The work atmosphere could be a little more fun, they take themselves way too seriously. We understand you ARE brain surgeons, etc., but....... I must add that it is a challenge that they deal with well as the grumpy older doctors refuse to get with the program.

Advice to Management

Too top heavy. Raise salaries.

Ochsner Health System2015-08-31

"Ochsner ended my career, do not make the same mistake I made."

Vascular Sonographer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

I can not think of one thing that was positive there, other than leaving.

Cons

Horrible upper management. Very cliquish and you had better start off kissing butt. Nepotism in the highest degree.

Advice to Management

If you think you can continue to operate after running off and ruining so many medical professionals careers, you are sorrily mistaken. You will lose a lot of employees after the new medical complex opens in New Orleans.....just watch and see.

Ochsner Health System2015-09-21