Octopus Business Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Octopus Business Development Reviews

Updated Jan 2, 2020

4.2
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson
  1. "High energy, fast paced, chaos"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Office, people, decent benefits and progression and internal career opportunities

Cons

Relentless work environment, male dominated at senior level, high stress amongst employees

Octopus2020-01-02
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent culture full of motivated, friendly & intelligent people. Sales environment that gives you the opportunity to achieve results on a daily basis through great tracking processes and management who genuinely care. Amazing office in the centre of London. A business that is constantly looking to innovate with an extremely passionate and inspiring CEO.

Cons

Technology sometimes slows us down, but this is always going to be an issue with a fast growing company that is constantly expanding into new areas.

Advice to Management

Keep making it a great place to work

Octopus2019-02-26

"Business development"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are none just don’t do it! They sell you a dollar sign dream but be prepared for the clicky culture stuck up people and no life outside the business they will work you to the bone!

Cons

Training was appalling no structure at all the team does not want to help just know how to point the finger and blame

Advice to Management

Just close down the business and start over with new people

Octopus2017-10-06
  4. "Thumbs up for Octopus"

Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Octopus

Pros

I started four weeks ago and I have to say that the people at Octopus are very friendly and welcoming. Everyone is upbeat and happy to talk to you regardless of what department you’re from. It’s a great working environment and I’m really happy to be here.

Cons

There are no cons. I have a message for anyone considering joining Octopus; be confident and proactive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Octopus2017-05-17

"HR sounds desperate"

Current Employee - Business Development in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no doubt in my mind that senior management lies to employees and HR staff is used as the messenger.

Cons

However, I doubt that the person who posted the message on 14 November is who he says he is. Why would a former employee gone more than two years ago (as he claims) choose to post such a message within five days of the previous one he criticises. Only someone monitoring this site via a notification alert[as HR does) would have been notified of that message and decided to react so quickly.

Advice to Management

To management, be aware that your staff is very unhappy so start listening to us. My advice to the reviewer of the 14.11.2016 review (I don't know who you are, but it is likely that you are not a former employee but a current HR team member). If you feel you need to publish reviews like yours, you should ask yourself why you did this. Is it because: a) you are keen to gain the favours of the CEO; b) you are desperate to keep your job and was asked to post the message; c) you feel it is part of your duty as an HR team member; d) all of the above?

Octopus2016-12-19

"Worst place where you can end up!"

Former Employee - Business Development in London, England

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

None that I can think of - maybe the colorful reception?

Cons

The list could go on for ever but essentially here we go: - arrogant people across the management and HR (and marketing too) - no particular skills across the business, no value added for employees or clients - poor investment performance for years across all products - frustrating and horrible working environnment - because everyone is deeply unhappy there they end up treating each other in a horrible way, it is a vicious circle! - no vision from the management, no goals, nothing (beheaded duck aimlessly runing around) - niche market that could collapse overnight following the slighest regulatory change - incompetence across management and the whole HR department

Advice to Management

Seek external advice urgently, you are heading full speed towards a wall! Change your hiring criteria (current ones attract the wrong kind of people) - ditch your arrogance!

Octopus2015-07-09