Octopus Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Octopus Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2020

3.7
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson

"Toxic management and vile bullying in the content writing area of Group Marketing"

Former Employee - Content Writer in Romford, England

I worked at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to share my negative experience with former employees in the same role of Content Writer in Group Marketing.

Cons

Micromanaging. Bullying. Belittling. Aggressive behaviour. Swearing. Control freak style management. Miserable. Toxic.

Advice to Management

Some being such a control freak and bullying people into your way of thinking – which you believe is the only way to think. Stop being so unkind. Stop bullying and belittling. Stop the aggression. Stop treating people like school children. Cheer up.

Octopus2019-08-08

"Very mediocre"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As in most jobs, some colleagues are good fun, but they are few and far between in an organisation that is in chaos

Cons

What a mess! We are trying to do too much. It is lucky that most of our activities benefit from government subsidies (green energy, VCT, EIS, etc). Otherwise, our results are no match for other asset managers in the City

Advice to Management

There are too many CEOs and Directors in the company. Why are the heads of departments called CEOs? None of these guys deserve such a title given their skill set. There should only be one CEO. I know that titles are cheap and you do not want to pay market rate, but there are way too many directors. Try to get a handle on things. At present, this company is a mess.

Octopus2019-08-06
  3. "Exciting and Rewarding"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging environment geared up to support your best work. Always fun round the corner and events to look forward to.

Cons

Some may find the agile way of working a challenge and continuous change disrupting but this is the environment of innovation and not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Maintain momentum on enhancing people manager capabilities and keep focus on culture within your own departments. Don't splinter off as this pulls you away from core values and goals. Our team s need to keep the Octopus goals at the front of how they operate.

Octopus2019-06-14
  4. "Great place to work with interesting, energised and kind people"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Always thinking forward, flexible approach, agile working and fantastic group of people

Cons

The bigger it gets could it loose the charm?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Octopus2019-05-09
  5. "Fun, fast, busy"

I worked at Octopus full-time

Pros

Fun culture with monthly drinks and lots of days out. Positive vibe. Open leadership and good career growth. Good pay and bonuses. Fantastic location and facilities

Cons

High workload, late nights, constant change

Advice to Management

Fast pace comes at cost of high workloads and decisions that don’t consult all stakeholders. They need to involve back office people early with new projects to avoid surprises.

Octopus2019-04-12

"Don't stick to values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Nice office - Some people are friendly

Cons

- Don't really stick to values - Staff say one thing and mean another - Don't appreciate suggestions for improvement - Atmosphere can be unprofessional

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at who is really living by your company values of being direct, bold, and helpful. In my brief experience these are just words on a wall and I don't really see senior managers working by them.

Octopus2019-04-29
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent culture full of motivated, friendly & intelligent people. Sales environment that gives you the opportunity to achieve results on a daily basis through great tracking processes and management who genuinely care. Amazing office in the centre of London. A business that is constantly looking to innovate with an extremely passionate and inspiring CEO.

Cons

Technology sometimes slows us down, but this is always going to be an issue with a fast growing company that is constantly expanding into new areas.

Advice to Management

Keep making it a great place to work

Octopus2019-02-26
  8. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Executive in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots opportunities to work with different teams and people, which means I get to learn a variety of things each day. Internal mobility is also encouraged and supported by management across different teams. People are approachable and happy to help if you need it.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there's too much going on in projects without a particular direction, so you feel a bit all over all the shop and don't actually progress. Or that processes are put in place a little bit before they're completely ready and then you have to catch up with it afterwards which can be a bit overwhelming or frustrating.

Octopus2019-02-11
  9. "Good work perks"

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

Good perks and work events

Cons

Hard to progress within company

Octopus2019-02-12

"Good opportunity...for the right sort of person"

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

Cool, fun culture Lots of smart people Great social events Opportunity for personal development and career progression Ambitious growth Nice office

Cons

Cliquey work environment - lots of gossip Toxic middle-management Ambitious growth into new product lines makes it feel like the company has no clear direction Work/life balance can sometimes suffer

Advice to Management

Hire new middle managers, put more focus on team collaboration, promote people based on merit rather than brown-nosers

Octopus2019-01-29