Octopus Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Octopus Sales Reviews

Updated Oct 30, 2019

3.7
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson

"Phenomenal company to be part of"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People Flexible working A place that cares about its employees Will look after people who work hard and care Social element

Cons

Fast pace but rather than that than a huge corporate entity

Advice to Management

Keep the culture. Octopus is a place that rewards hard work and people who care about customers and others. People who don't understand this generally aren't with the company too long! But I wouldn't compromise this for the world. Octopus is part of who I am, and I'm proud to work for an organisation that is kind and has great people, than a company obsessed with the bottom line and that tolerates people who don't fit the culture.

Octopus2019-10-30

"Too "innovative" for its own good"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

After many years and despite my disappointment with management and the strategy, I continue to rate my colleagues. They are fun and easy to work with.

Cons

Behind a never ending list of projects, the firm is rudderless. I am actually shocked that the CEO won an 'entrepreneur of the year' award, even if a colleague explained that it was mostly because Octopus had sponsored/paid for so many articles in that newspaper that it was standard reward practice. But it shows the contrast between the perception of the CEO internally and what people are prepared to believe outside the firm.

Advice to Management

Look at the mess you have created after so many years launching one financial product after another without the required expertise. Someone posted about the Eve Sleep debacle, and many of us still remember the failure of Eclipse VCT and Octopus CfE three yearas ago. Will you never learn?

Octopus2018-12-08

"Eve sleep another disastrous deal by octopus"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

over the many years i have worked at the firm, i have grown concerned by the lack of skills of many of my colleagues, especially those in high places

Cons

members of the ventures team strut their stuff around the office, claiming that they have a fantastic track record, but the failure of eve sleep is one of many disasters they have had in recent years. shopa, yplan just to mention a few

Advice to Management

our clients deserve better from our investment team

Octopus2018-07-22

"Only looking for yes men (and the occasional woman)"

Current Employee - Sales Team in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

the founders say that they wanted to change the way financial products were perceived but Octopus is just like any other financial firms

Cons

We are raising as much money as we can so that we can charge fees. Performance is irrelevant

Advice to Management

stop pretending that you care about our clients. every time we raise issues about the performance, you keep talking about fundraising instead. And just because people disagree does not mean they should be pushed out. With close to 25% of attrition, we can't really afford to lose any more employees

Octopus2017-07-09
  5. "Inspiring"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Octopus is a wonderful place to work. The culture is all about ambition, achievement and being nice to people. The company has come a long way in my time and I have no doubt Octopus will achieve everything Simon (CEO) wants it to. Octopus hires great people and they make it a great place to work.

Cons

The other reviews are right, it goes at 100 miles an hour. It can be manic. It suits people that love achieving things, working hard and having the humility to always want to be better.

Advice to Management

Do whatever you can to keep the Octopus culture and keep standards high.

Octopus2017-02-22

"Good at marketing, bad at investing"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have to hand it them, Octopus have done a great job at riding on the government's coattails. If it wasn't for the government's policies in favour of tax avoidance, Octopus would not exist. They have done a great job at raising money from individuals who want to avoid paying tax (IHT, VCT, etc).

Cons

The problem is that Octopus has done an equally bad job at investing that money. The returns on all their products are dismal.

Advice to Management

Enjoy it while you can. Invstors are bound to figure out that they are being taken advantage of.

Octopus2016-03-23

"Control freaks"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In all my years in employment (over 5 years) I have never come across a firm so obsessed with controlling staff

Cons

Too much time is spent on training that is irrelevant to our jobs. It is just another way for HR to check on employees and build files on individuals. HR has set up processes to monitor people (one-to-one reviews, quarterly, half-yearly and annual reviews). Employees are given grades as if they were at school during very political annual performance reviews. It is worse than being a civil servant.

Advice to Management

Stop using this website for propaganda. There is no way three Octopus employees would choose to post positive reviews on the firm on the same day as happened in January. These positive reviews are posted or mandated by HR and top management.

Octopus2016-02-16
  8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best things about Octopus is the people, it is a pleasure to come to work and see people work hard and get stuff done. It is also a really exciting to see how we grow as a business and how we can improve things but also seeing the positive affect our investments have on the economy.

Cons

It is exceptionally fast paced and can feel a little manic at times, the technology we use still feels a little behind the times.

Advice to Management

invest into some top quality technology and make sure we have the admin team in place to deal with the continued growth.

Octopus2016-01-13

"Not what it used to be"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been working at Octopus for several years and enjoy my job though I must say it is not thanks to the general atmosphere.

Cons

There is mistrust between the management committee and the staff. Strategy is poor in my view. As always after bonus time there is a mass exodus. This summer is no different.

Advice to Management

Management's sole aim seems to reach the £5m assets under management target. Then what? They should pay more attention to staff concerns.

Octopus2015-08-29

"Sales Support"

Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company, supportive colleagues

Cons

As the company grows, payment gets worse

Advice to Management

Incentivise the staff more than just events

Octopus2015-03-18