Octopus "flexible working" Reviews | Glassdoor

Octopus Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated Oct 30, 2019

3.6
Octopus Chief Executive Simon Rogerson (no image)
Simon Rogerson
Pros
  • "Flexible working is encouraged though the culture doesn't make this easy(in 11 reviews)

• "Charity, social events and to have an entrepreneurial spirit in your work(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management skirt around the issue because they don't want to commit to spending more money on staff(in 8 reviews)

• "Very long hours for the salary paid(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews

"Phenomenal company to be part of"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People Flexible working A place that cares about its employees Will look after people who work hard and care Social element

Cons

Fast pace but rather than that than a huge corporate entity

Advice to Management

Keep the culture. Octopus is a place that rewards hard work and people who care about customers and others. People who don't understand this generally aren't with the company too long! But I wouldn't compromise this for the world. Octopus is part of who I am, and I'm proud to work for an organisation that is kind and has great people, than a company obsessed with the bottom line and that tolerates people who don't fit the culture.

Octopus2019-10-30
  2. "A great, flexible, supportive place to work."

Former Employee - Recruitment Manager in London, England

I worked at Octopus part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Put mental health at the top of their agenda and are enhancing their benefits programme all the time. Very supportive of budding entrepreneurs and will invest in an employees start-up if the idea is good enough. Great flexible working policies very fast paced and quick to make decisions.

Cons

Some times things can move so quickly that it can take a while for everyone to hear about the changes and for the systems to catch up. Super ambitious so often and million things on the go at any one time.

Octopus2019-10-23
  3. "Octopus is awesome"

Current Employee - Content Writer

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Octopus is the only place I have ever worked where I don’t wake up and dread coming into work. The culture in the company is great, with the option for flexible working/working at home, loads of events and clubs, and a focus on mental health. I work in Group Marketing and my team are supportive and friendly and have made me feel really welcome. It’s fast paced, that can’t be denied, and I see this as one of the many pros. There’s always lots to do so there’s no chance of being bored, and the work is extremely varied. There are also loads of opportunities to get involved in “extra-curricular” activities if that’s your thing, helping with Giving or running clubs, for example. Overall, Octopus has a great feel and I really enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

For me, there aren’t any that I’ve found so far. Some people may not enjoy the speed at which things move at Octopus or the amount of flexibility needed, but these are both things I, personally, enjoy.

Advice to Management

Carry on as you are!

Octopus2019-10-15
  4. "Autonomy, Creativity, Support"

Current Employee - Talent Sourcer in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have never worked in a place where creativity and entrepreneurship is valued so highly. The thing that struck me most about Octopus is that if they say they will do something, they actually do - sounds simple but it isn't. In my first couple of months I have been given plenty of responsibility, backed by the support of a really engaging team. Octopus make it easy for me to love my job and feel passionate about representing the business - so much so i have already referred a friend who has herself secured a job with Octopus. Additionally, the flexible working, holiday allowance, share incentives, pension and additional benefits would be hard to top anywhere.

Cons

For me personally - none. I would have concerns about people who loved an overly structured, corporate environment. Octopus certainly isn't that!

Advice to Management

Keep allowing your staff to run with ideas, keep giving feedback, keep praising people who try.

Octopus2019-08-15

"Stop protecting bad management calls"

Former Employee - IT Applications Support Analyst in London, England

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible Working - Office in London - Team lead and the team I worked with - Holidays

Cons

- Management - Development of Junior staff - Salary - Diversity - Gossip

Advice to Management

That they should listen to the criticisms that their staff poses about management processes and not look to just protect management. As a soon to be b-corp Corporation, I don’t think they uphold the standards of one.

Octopus2019-08-05
  6. "Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Projects

I worked at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working Friendly Atmosphere Openness and ability to approach senior execs

Cons

Lack of investment in systems Immature processes and procedures

Advice to Management

Spend less time on HR initiatives that don’t yield any benefits

Octopus2019-08-03

"Cracks if you look close enough but OK"

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They seem to hire genuinely nice people who want to help each other and care about their work Staff benefits are ok. Lots of social events, charity work and groups people can get involved in Flexible working is encouraged though the culture doesn't make this easy

Cons

Leadership is manipulative and lacks self awareness in some teams, though some of this has been dealt with. They have very few women in positions of power so they have pushed women from within into roles they are not qualified to do. Its unsurprising that the teams these women lead have such a high level of staff turnover & staff unhappiness

Advice to Management

Don't rush to promote people from within into roles they aren't capable of doing.

Octopus2018-11-04

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to put your hand up and get involved in something new. Colleagues really do care about the business and help each other where they can. Staff benefits are great. Flexible working is encouraged.

Cons

There is constantly change as teams try new things which fail and budgets are re set. Not a con for everyone, you've just got to be prepared to adapt and be open to new ways of working.

Octopus2018-09-20
  9. "Refreshing Company"

Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at Octopus full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great people focused on both what we collectively deliver and how - Transparency and access to senior management to challenge and ask questions - Committed to training and development - refreshing approach to flexible working

Cons

- naturally with a growing company, things move quickly and at times processes and systems are playing catchup

Octopus2017-11-24

"Going in the right direction"

I have been working at Octopus full-time

Pros

Recent move towards allowing flexible working, extended paternity leave. Group structure empowers the various business lines. People tend to be very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Senior people are overwhelmingly white, male and within a narrow age band. Looks a bit embarrassing on the slide decks.

Advice to Management

It seems as though you are trying to hire some senior women - try to get a bit more ethnic diversity in there too. The pride participation was great, keep it up.

Octopus2017-08-07