Odom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 14, 2019

2.8
John P. Odom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Corporation with Family Feel"

I have been working at Odom full-time

Pros

I have worked for the Odom Corporation/NWB Beverages for almost 5 years and love my job and the atmosphere. Truly a fantastic group of people to work with and for. Definitely had our challenges this last year with a merger and expansion into the South Sound, but the company has always had a clear understanding of the challenges and compensated our team accordingly.
    This company has a top down legitimate concern for their employees and our well-being.

Cons

Market challenges in the Seattle environment.

Advice to Management

Just continue to communicate and keep the team up to date on progress as we navigate the tail end of our challenges.

2. "Analyst"

I have been working at Odom full-time

Pros

Work can be fun. Some of the co-workers are very nice.

Cons

It is definitely working with the “old boys” network, and if you don’t fit it, you are expected to work more and harder to compensate for the fact that you are not one of the “favorites.” Have a seen a lot of great leaders leave the company as the company wants to keep folks that have been around for a while rather than actually do what they state which is to grow into a mature company using best practices versus unethical ones, which they seem comfortable doing.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites
    Hire professional HR personnel — the current department will tell others about your concerns that should not be shared, including personal information
    Allow for external resources to be successful by not keeping the old guard in place.

3. "Employer Committing Wage Theft"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kent, WA

I have been working at Odom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in the daily work schedule and PTO

Cons

I've been working as a Sales Representative for this company approaching two years. The longer i've been here and learn more about how they operate is repulsive at best. Odom recently merged to become Northwest Beverages and they have been using employment practices that are underhanded and potentially illegal. In order to give you a more full and complete picture I will be as objective as possible so you are better informed before you choose to apply at this company.
    First they pay low hourly wages for a sales position, about the minimum wage per hour compared to Tukwila and Sea Tac areas. I will have worked for two years in which I received one raise that was less than a dollar per hour. Two years of work for pennies in raises! This should give you a good idea as to the hourly pay component.
    Secondly they have a monthly bonus program and they advertise that you can earn a certain amount, only to find out you will actually never earn that because they have twisted the goal amounts so high you can never reach them. But this will be the way they spin it to you. This last month alone not a single member of my entire team hit the two major goals of total revenue or Rockstar (our largest supplier). Rarely does anyone hit these goals, but they use a work psychology game on you trying to convince you that it is your sales shortcomings as the reason. A scam. The inability to hit your goals due to the unobtainable nature of them will cost you tens of thousands possibly up to a hundred thousand dollars by the time you finish a career here. They pay a bonus for selling Rockstar (our largest product by sales) almost never but you will apportion about half your time merchandising and selling it. It is possibly you will sell Rockstar for the duration of you employment and never receive a penny for it.
    Now to the employer wage theft....This probably seems like a lofty claim but it really isn't. The third component of your wage will be "supplier incentives", monies that our suppliers our willing to pay a sales rep for successful placement of their products into the stores on your route. The company issues a monthly schedule of suppliers who are paying incentives and what the terms and conditions are to achieve. You go out on your route and make these placements believing that you will be paid, only to find out that Odom has not paid according to the terms agreed upon. This means you performed work and labor under agreed to terms and conditions that weren't ultimately paid by the company. This has happened company wide and to most members of my team. It is a company strategy to do this as members of management at all levels remain completely silent about it. They are purposefully and methodically short paying the incentive monies. They are also not providing a detailed paystub showing how you have been paid these monies, in other words they are obscuring transparency in order to steal. If there are inquiries or this is brought to the attention of management they have been coached in how to avoid addressing this issue. In other words they are pilfering the incentives, possibly receiving monies from suppliers that were intended for the sales reps performing the work. In short they are fleecing their employees. Human resources has been made aware but fails to professionally and completely investigate in an in-depth, comprehensive, objective manner. As well the company chooses a retaliatory posture when you report, even though you follow all procedures as outlined in the employee handbook.
    Management at all levels are complicit and completely void of morality, ethics, and integrity. Again, these actions have actually happened repeatedly. This is based on facts and numbers, not on opinion.

Advice to Management

Get some values and integrity. Pay people accurately, fully and completely according to the terms and conditions of your agreements. Or your suppliers will find out next.

4. "Warehouse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at Odom full-time

Pros

Awesome Benefits and Great Company Culture.

Cons

Hard to move upward within the company because of politics.

5. "Hiring people fresh out of college with full of passion, but pay them the least."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Kent, WA

I worked at Odom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Other than that, I don't see anything good about this company

Cons

Manager micro-manages with aggressive behavior
    Unfair pay for veteran rep. I was working there for 6 years and I know the new hire rep got higher paid than I am.
    The company twists the sales number, so you have a hard time to hit number to earn bonus.

Advice to Management

be honest to your employees. Pay them fair amount of salaries when those sales reps and merchandisers did a lot of highly physical work.

6. "not bad"

I have been working at Odom full-time

Pros

relatively laid back management, good benefits

Cons

lower pay, not great benefits

7. "Not Terrible"

I have been working at Odom full-time

Pros

Easy to get help when asked.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement and promotions.

8. "job"

I worked at Odom full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

company no longer in business

9. "Good Starting Place"

Current Employee - Helpdesk Technician in Bellevue, WI
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Technician in Bellevue, WI

I have been working at Odom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to wear lots of different hats

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

Advice to Management

Allow employees to take some risks

"ANCHORAGE offices are different than Outside"

I have been working at Odom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not finding any - I mean, some of my coworkers are nice, but they'd just as soon stab you in the back as not.

Cons

Anchorage is stuck in the 80's. Women are treated like second class people who shouldnt speak up or know what they're talking about, LGBTQ folks are deeply closeted, they use paper calendars, there's infighting and racial discrimination (POC are good enough for the warehouse, but not one position of power is non-white). Sexism is alive and well. Trying to get a different job, but Odom experience on my resume isn't good.

Advice to Management

Get Bellevue people in Alaska to change the culture up here. Get the toxic VPs out before someone reports you to Coke and Miller. You don't represent their brands well.