Odyssey Charter School Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2019

Found 15 reviews

3.9
Nick Manolakos
  1. "An Educational Home for All"

Current Employee - Instructional Aid in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I adore Odyssey Charter School in Las Vegas, Nevada and feel so lucky to be a part of their middle school team! I was a substitute teacher with CCSD for many years when I began to have that sense that there must be more, there must be a better way to have a greater impact in the lives of the students I work with. As I began to weigh my options within CCSD, I was introduced to Odyssey Charter School. I didn’t think...

Cons

I haven't discovered one. Having been given the opportunity to make a difference for Las Vegas students has been a pleasure.

Odyssey Charter School2019-04-05
    • "Good until it's not (Newnan, GA)"

Current Employee - Teacher in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are friendly School will purchase supplies for you Good location

Cons

Small school means small politics. If you make the wrong person mad, you can lose your job easily, even over something small and not professionally related. Almost no subs are ever available. If specials teachers are out, you have to keep the class.

Odyssey Charter School2019-05-25
    • "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked at Odyssey Charter School in Las Vegas for 17 years. It is a hybrid program, where lessons are delivered online, and students come in to the school once a week, for 4 hours. During this time, teachers, working in teams, rotate into the classroom to deliver direct instruction. We have an excellent student to teacher ratio. Class size ranges from 18-25 students, and there are usually 3-5 instructors in...

Cons

Our students only come in one day a week, as their curriculum is online, so we don't get to see them daily.

Odyssey Charter School2019-04-04
    • "Caring School in Las Vegas"

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is the eighth year I've worked at Odyssey Charter School in Las Vegas, and I am so thankful I found this school. It's a wonderful community that has continued to improve every year, with more of an emphasis on teamwork than most schools. They offer the same pay and benefits as the district. The culture of the school is very caring and respectful, toward both students and staff.

Cons

The school grows and changes some every year.

Odyssey Charter School2019-03-20
    • "Teacher - Las Vegas, NV (2 years)"

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than a year

Pros

We are a 5-star school! I have died and gone to Teaching Heaven! This is the first district/school, in 20+ years of teaching, that I actually get to teach and make a difference with the students. The students get the help they need and the staff is not burdened down with the nonsense of that is found in other districts/schools nationwide. NOTE: The Las Vegas OCS is not affiliated with the Florida or Delaware OCS that...

Cons

NONE! - Well almost, we still have a few students that will not do their work, even after giving them multiple chances and working with them 1 on 1 - but dosen't everyone. NOTE: The Las Vegas OCS is not affiliated with the Florida or Delaware OCS that is getting the negative reviews on this site. We are a 5-star school with top staff and Excellent Administration from the top down.

Advice to Management

Work with Glassdoor to get Odyssey CharterSchool Las Vegas reviews separated from the Reviews linked to the OCS in Florida or Delaware.

Odyssey Charter School2019-03-20
    • "Hidden Gem"

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Supportive administration. Competitive pay. Insurance. PERS.

Cons

Everything about this student focused culture and environment is positive.

Odyssey Charter School2019-03-14
    • "AMAZING!!!"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This school fully supports its teachers. We are encouraged to focus on providing the highest quality education. Administration takes care of students or issues that normally would take teachers away from teaching responsibilities.

Cons

Teachers only get to physically work 1-2 hours per week with their students. All other lessons are completed via the online curriculum.

Advice to Management

Keep up the incredible job of having education at the forefront of all your decisions.

Odyssey Charter School2019-03-14

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teachers are very helpful with helping one another.

Cons

Can't trust what the upper management is telling you. They would rather have you take zero PTO days.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what is really going on and what your job will be.

Odyssey Charter School2018-06-08
    • "OCS School"

I have been working at Odyssey Charter School full-time

Pros

Teacher to teacher support is unmatched. Young and lively staff.

Cons

You forfeit a percentage of a normal teacher salary working at this Charter School.

Advice to Management

Teachers are on the frontlines and many feel as if they have no voice in any decisions that are made.

Odyssey Charter School2017-04-12
    • "Horrible Educational Environment"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Odyssey Charter School for more than a year

Pros

Many of the teachers are of high caliber and seek to support students.

Cons

Students have mostly failed out of traditional schools. Terrible communication between parents, teachers, and admin. They go through admin like babies go through diapers. We lost both APs and went for half a year with just a bumbling principal who was at a different campus half the time. No real collaboration. Nothing but teaching to the test and trying to boost enrollment.

Advice to Management

Get real leadership.

Odyssey Charter School2017-05-04