Odyssey Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Evan Burns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Definitely no work life balance but most of the team buys into the company's mission and are inspired to work this way (in 7 reviews)

• Being forced to add your managing editor on your personal Facebook account (ew) (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Culture & Experience Building & Operating a Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Odyssey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture: Your teammates are like your best friends and family. The company is big on culture and it's clear by who was hired and how they operate. They are very transparent and trusting of their team (employees).

Benefits are great: 100% covered cell phone, great insurance plan (medical, dental, vision), matching HSA, given a 100k life insurance plan, 2-week PTO from the start, all major holidays off plus Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, plus the day after Thanksgiving, and a couple days between Christmas and NYE that are out of office work days, plus a floating holiday. You also have flexible hours in office, so you can take a half day without penalty/counting towards your PTO.

Pay: is fare market (or over) plus they give you the upside of earning a bonus (one annual amount that is paid out every 4 months with completion of the goals that you set).

Work: It's a lot of hard work but it's really rewarding. Yes, there are the goofy articles that get traction, but there are also life-changing stories from people that never would of seen the light of day. In your day-to-day it is still like a start-up so you have to want to be in a business that isn't turn key. The bonus here though is if you don't like something you have the opportunity to fix it. They encourage you to find better, more efficient ways to accomplish tasks and goals. The huge benefit here is that it isn't like my other companies where you get frustrated because you are in the weeds and know better and management ignores you, here they want you to make it better, they empower you.

CEO: This guy is a machine, and to many that can be a bad thing, but he is the guy that built this place so fast and essentially the reason I have a job so I respect that. He's not the warm and fuzzy kind of guy, but he does immensely care about the team and company even thought he may not show it. He goes to battle for everyone behind the scenes and doesn't get credit for it.

Cons

It's not for everyone - it requires a lot of hard work, and not just in hours it's that you have to build processes and operate the business. It's still start-up like in that sense.

Another is that the tech is just not up to speed with everything else. There focus now is to tighten that up which is great because that is really the only lagging part of the business. If that was ahead of the other departments there really wouldn't be any issues.

Advice to Management

Make it clear what everyone is responsible and more communication. That will solve most.

2. "Awesome experience, but changes need to be made."

Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Odyssey (More than a year)

Pros

-Great experience to add to your resume.
    -Writing weekly articles greatly helps you if you want a career in writing.
    -It's nice having a place to have your writing published where so many people can see it.

Cons

-I was actually going to give four stars, but after reading other reviews, I just now found out that there are no longer copy editors for each community. I was already going to say a con is that despite each community having an Editor-In-Chief and a Copy Editor, many articles seem to have not been thoroughly edited, but now that I know this, I have to take away at least one more star.
    -There's no guarantee you'll get paid; your articles have to have a certain amount of views which I found to be unrealistically high for most content creators.

Advice to Management

-I understand wanting to allow the writers to express themselves, but having a Copy Editor doesn't take that away. I am amazed that they were actually taken away, especially as someone who plans on having a career as a writer. I know Odyssey wants to be different from other platforms, but taking away editors is not going to make the platform better - it actually does the opposite and also makes Odyssey look bad.
    -Consider finding a way to pay more content creators.

3. "Editor-in-Chief"

Current Employee - Editor In Chie
    Current Employee - Editor In Chie

I have been working at Odyssey part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is very motivated to help and you work with many smart individuals who help you develop content strategies. I feel like I learned a lot but wish I had more guidance.

Cons

Communication usually sucks and it's hard to keep everyone on track when your Content Strategists won't reply to you. Also, it's nearly impossible to get paid so that's why the content writers produce isn't always the best.

Advice to Management

Interact with your college writers more. They're providing you free content so maybe you should reach out to them and build a stronger community. I don't even know who the CEO is for example and I've worked here for a year. There's something wrong if you don't know the management at your day to day job.

4. "Content Creator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I have been working at Odyssey part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall great place to be a part of. Very laid back and a great way to express your creative side.

Cons

At times it can be stressful when an article is due during the week but you don't have time to write it.

5. "Writer"

Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Odyssey part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to create your own work and publish

Cons

Compensation was minimal to non-existent. The model pitted team members against one another and the team member with the most shares that week was the only one who was paid. I was told that if I had an article go viral more than once that I would move up to a paid position-- I have 3 viral articles and was told that I would still not be paid. They increased restrictions on what we were allowed to write on the longer I was there, which was frustrating. Communication was also super unclear between editors and writers. Just frustrating all around.

6. "Good Experience!"

I worked at Odyssey (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for journalism/communication studies majors.

Cons

Occasional technical difficulties with uploads/editing software.

7. "Lost Focus"

I have been working at Odyssey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are great. We wanted this to work, we feel like it "possibly" can.

Cons

We lost focus and direction. That began from the CEO and moved down from there. We thought we were Buzzfeed, but we put the cart in front of the horse.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter at this point.

8. "They don't know what they're doing"

Former Employee - Copy Editor in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Copy Editor in Remote, OR

I worked at Odyssey part-time

Pros

The CMS works pretty well, and as a college student, this worked great with being able to create my own schedule.

Cons

In September of 2016, they decided to eliminate the copy editor position (dozens of employees) to preserve the "creators' voices," despite the fact that a copy editor does nothing to affect the writing, especially at Odyssey. The company made sure that copy editors stuck to grammar, syntax, and formatting.

9. "Odyssey is relaxed and fun"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Odyssey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good competitive pay

Cons

Small team to work with

10. "Legend has it, some content creators get paid?"

Current Employee - Writer in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Writer in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Odyssey part-time

Pros

-Great way to begin publishing your work on seemingly any topic
    -Excellent community of supportive writers
    -Good way to begin a portfolio of written published works

Cons

-I've read that there is potential to get paid if your article gets the most activity in your community that week, but it doesn't seem like anyone is paid in our community at all and our editor does not communicate any of this to us.
    -Editors are on people's case about getting things in by the deadline yet take their time editing and often miss their own deadlines.

Advice to Management

Pay everyone based on how many articles they submit a week even if it is a matter of dollars. Set certain requirements for those articles that don't have to do with social shares.