Office Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

3,012 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management tends to be extremely picky on performance (in 121 reviews)

• minimum wage regardless of experience (in 104 reviews)

1. "Business Services Division"

Current Employee - Solutions Development Manager, Technology in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Solutions Development Manager, Technology in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with dedicated individuals who add value everyday from peers to all levels of management. Everyone at this company works hard.

Cons

Wear many hats and work very hard. There is always more work than time to get it done. Not as many paid holidays as compared to non-retail based companies.

Advice to Management

Separate the technology biz from office products. Find a way to compete with Amazon.

2. "Its eh"

Pros

Flexible schedule, team environment, structured, a little commision

Cons

Can get boring, don't really want to give time off, annoying when it comes to rewards sign ups, very low hours

Advice to Management

Raise the commision, motivate employees more, respect the employees

3. "Credit Controller"

Former Employee - Credit Controller
    Former Employee - Credit Controller

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, Colleagues, Fun place to work

Cons

Difficult to get a higher position
    Strenuous process for applying for a new position
    Changing to a new job withing company disapproved
    Repetitive work

Advice to Management

Encouraging talented people and trying to keep them in the company

5. "Operations Associate"

I have been working at Office Depot part-time

Pros

You are constantly working and learn people skills quickly

Cons

The company doesn't seem to care about maintaining employees and tend to put constraints on store managers that make it seem like they don't want to make it easy for stores to succeed

6. "Principal Consultant"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and supportive team. Collaborative culture.

Cons

Consistent workforce reduction and turnover. Uninspiring leadership / no vision. Micromanagement. Declining revenue and closing stores.

7. "Rough times for company in Northeast"

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hired from within when possible, DM was excellent

Cons

Too many bad decisions by corporate, too many threats if job not done properly, even if numbers are good overall and if store is doing well if not hitting certain metrics can be written up

8. "Two thumbs up!"

I have been working at Office Depot part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers and sometimes they treat you to lunch.

Cons

The workload can be stressful, the clientele needy and they are avid fans of micromanagement.

9. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of nice people work at Office Depot/Office Max, I like meeting the customers they have some interesting stories.

Cons

It's usually too busy to get a lot of training. You have to pick it up here and there.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training prior to the first couple of shifts, besides just watching videos.

10. "Copy and Print Slave"

Former Employee - Copy and Print Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Close Co-Workers, Close to home, Opportunity to learn

Cons

Not enough pay for the amount of work and stress, limited access to benefits, commission cut, expect to do everything even though the workload is already heavy, customers and management are always on your butt and can get real nasty over the smallest things.

Advice to Management

Most of your associates are either in college or have a college degree so be careful about treating them like a commodity. Maybe your turnover rate wouldn't be so high then? The reason why I left was because I felt it was not worth putting anymore of my energy into a company that's circling the drain and treats me so poorly. So happy I work somewhere else now...

11. "Was first a Employee of OfficeMax then switched over to OfficeDepot when they acquired the brand."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, not too many hours, usually willing to work with your schedule be it you have school or a second job. Job isn't too taxing on a day-to-day basis and doesn't require you do a lot of heavy work, you can learn about different departments.

Cons

First off, OfficeMax was a much better stand alone company in my opinion...

Back to the job...

The first couple of years at the company (then OfficeMax) were not so bad. With it being my first job I was excited to learn many things, besides who isn't excited at their first job? Anywho, I loved my job the first couple of years but where things started to change is that every time for annual review it seemed as there was either a payroll freeze (where you wouldn't get a raise) or was somehow snubbed. Little did I know all these other companies were starting to pay their employees more AND provide benefits. Pay factors into job like-ability a lot, anyone who tells you otherwise is flat out lying. No one wants to work for free or next to nothing, having a hard time paying the bills. Also, it seemed as if the turn over for our particular Store Manager was high. After my initial Store Manager left (to find something better, of which I don't blame her)...we basically had a new SM every year just about (the one who I remember staying the longest was my favorite). Sometimes we would even be without a SM for a extended amount of time. Also, for the record this company clearly doesn't care about/appreciate its employees one bit. They basically try to make you feel bad for not meeting sales goals and basically if you are complacent you can be easily replaced (good luck with that). They also expect if someone calls out and they want you, you are expected to come in (as if you don't have things to take care of on your days off). I did have some very good managers (like my hiring manager) who taught me a lot and that I am very thankful to have encountered/met in my life...and there were some not-so-great ones as well. I also met some really cool coworkers whom I've become very close with. Along with the good managers it made for a fun experience. The job wasn't too demanding but some days and seasons were hectic. I did a little bit of everything around the store. I would say over time I grew less interested in the job. Along with the lack of a good pay grade, retail isn't for everybody and can be very taxing (especially on the body). Onto the merger...I was honestly okay with this but basically they wanted to "drain the swamp" aka get rid of the old employees starting with upper management. It was especially "catty" at times and a lot of back stabbing/undermining/setting people up. All in all, not terrible...just wish I had moved on sooner but I digress...

Overall recap:

Pay sucks, not a ton of hours when you need to pay the bills, too many Store Manager turn overs, not feeling appreciated by company.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, good gosh! Learn to appreciate your employees too!

Showing 3,012 of 3,045 reviews