Office Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

Office Depot Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Big budget constraints made it more difficult- so needed more support from upper management to help push projects forward (in 128 reviews)

• A lot of work expected for just above minimum wage for sales consultants (in 105 reviews)

1. "It has been a up and down roller coaster but if you stick it out, you can get promoted very quickly"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time for management, good benefits and quickly got promoted. All you have to do is show that you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like they our going out of business, stores are closing every week it seems. And they will demote people sometimes

Advice to Management

Know the roles of the team below you before you start trying to micro manage them at

2. "My experience with OfficeDepot has been outstanding. Two promotions in under a year."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oneonta, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oneonta, NY

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very professional and actually has programs and strategies in place to succeed. My Store Manager, who I've quickly turned into a mentor, is the best manager I've ever worked under. The communication is great and your ideas are heard. If they are well thought out and planned, you can use them! The pay is reasonable and benefits are about what you'd expect.

Cons

The company is very numbers focused. That's great for me because I'm a numbers person. However, sometimes these numbers don't tell the whole story. Hours cuts can be a problem area. While I've never really been affected by them, I've seen others suffer a bit. Some of the company special offerings/products that have come out are just losers from the get-go

3. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work relationship, customers and environment

Cons

No overtime and only 1 holiday pay

Advice to Management

Holiday pay

"Office Depot"

Former Employee - Technology Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Technology Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, great place to learn, and awesome experience

Cons

Very touchy customer base, recommend customer service experience

6. "Dell Product Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Margate, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Margate, FL

Pros

Fast paced, Not boring, great working environment

Cons

Long hours, sales driven, too multi tasking

7. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Computer Repair Technician in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Computer Repair Technician in Marietta, GA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible management. Tough, but fair. Commission based + a wage that was above minimum. Generous commission on all tech. 10% on most things, 30% on insurance plans, and upwards of 65% on computer repair jobs (percentages ranged from 30-65%). All the standard range of benefits for employees working 35+ hours a week.

Cons

High turn around rate with non-commissioned employees. The "front end" of the store never stayed the same for more than a month as far as employees go. Some managers tend to be arrogant, and your complaints to upper management just makes your job harder. Don't ruffle feathers, and this con doesn't mean a thing. But I guess that's true everywhere!

Advice to Management

Try to make sure you don't hire people into management positions that a) barely have a high school diploma; and b) aren't arrogant or narcissistic.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get out of Office Depot what you invest. Work hard and the rewards will come. Great culture and the team makes an effort to have fun while still need to make sure to hit the goals.

Cons

After issues with the attempted failed takeover from Staples the company is having to reestablish itself again. This was a major disruption to the company but it will come back and be a great place to work at.

Advice to Management

Find ways to have fun after such a challenging 2015 and the team will bounce back. The numbers need to be hit but if the management team can get the support of the team in the main time they can recover and regain momentum.

"Verticle Market Manager"

Former Employee - Vmm in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vmm in New York, NY

Pros

Great position - great people to work with loved this job.

Cons

Merger cause company to be more concerned with dollars than employees.

"Review of Office Depot"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant/Technology Consultant in Rocky Mount, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant/Technology Consultant in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management, was not overworked, was able to expand my sales skills and technology skills. Had some face time with some vendors like Samsung.

Cons

The store was a little understaffed. Some days I would find myself the only one helping customers on the sales floor. I was hired as a technician, but I also had to help with getting boxes of chairs and printers from topstock, which is not good for me since I have a fear of heights.

Advice to Management

The management overall was alright. There were favorite managers and some a little bit into micro-managing. Maybe just a little bit less of micro-managing is all I can say.

"Best FIRST job!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The amazing community, the team work, as well as just the pay and benefits, even for a part timer like myself

Cons

When the merge with Office Max was done and done, it was rather sad to see that everything was changing and that people were being let go left and right, and without a valid reason at time.

Showing 335 of 3,184 reviews