Office Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

3,195 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,195 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Big budget constraints made it more difficult- so needed more support from upper management to help push projects forward (in 128 reviews)

• There's so much work and training that you should be paid more than minimum wage (in 106 reviews)

1. "All Comes Down to the Managers"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling. Opportunity to learn a lot of different aspects which makes you more valuable. I worked with a crappy store manager who couldn't answer our questions half the time and didn't put his radio on until halfway through the day, then leave a half hour early. We got an interim store manager and the change was drastic. With good managers who are transparent and don't ask you to do something they wouldn't do, it makes it easier to respect and trust them. They encourage you or at least support you.

After working for the company for over 2 years I know most of what there is to know. Also, at least in my case, I've gotten to know my co-workers pretty well and consider some of them my friends. I go out of my way to help everyone and they try to return the favor. This job helped me learn how to talk to people, and for that I have to give a lot of credit.

Cons

No offense, but this company is going nowhere. With all of the dumb decisions corporate makes and bleak market, Office Depot might not be around 10 years from now. The pay isn't that great and there are no full-time positions outside of management. At times I was forced to do other jobs outside of my normal logistics/sales role because the place didn't have enough people. Consequence of that poor store manager...almost everyone left 7 months from the time I started. Not much room for advancement as a college student even though I was told I was qualified by almost all managers. Have to have open availability.

Advice to Management

The store management makes all the difference. Be encouraging and transparent and let the employees know that you actually care, and they can overlook the fact that they aren't making much. As for corporate, it would be nice if they could come up with some plan to save the company, instead of cutting all the benefits we have. At this point, I come to work for the people, but sure as hell not for the company. If you find yourself at a store with good management and good co-workers and can overlook the pay, its a good job.

2. "Diversity Works"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goldsboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goldsboro, NC

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

drama free work place. managers are always reasonable. All the employees are totally different, making it a great place to work and be around people you aren't used to. This also gives customers comfort in finding someone they feel comfortable approaching if they need assistance.

Cons

The pay isn't that great. The attire is a red collared shirt and black pants that are not provided. No commission.

"BDM"

Current Employee - BDM in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - BDM in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is above average

Cons

Way to much Corp bossing and not enough leading. Hire the smartest people then ask them how to do it.

Advice to Management

Lead more and Boss less. A sign of good management is how many ppl have you developed and promotes.

5. "Great people and good customers"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great and always make the day seem better. Customers who appreciate your help make the time worth it.

Cons

Some customers are not the best, always needing to have something to complain about. Also there is no more commission with services sold.

Advice to Management

Change the commission back to the way it was.

6. "Overall OK company"

Former Employee - Anonymous in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people work there. Balanced work life depending on manager

Cons

Lots of politics and relationship based management
    rules must apply to all and not be selective

Advice to Management

Invest in the people

7. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, Gym, Cafeteria, Space, On Site Banking

Cons

1980's mentality. Outdated tools and management style.

8. "Dim Outlook"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with a great group of fellow Managers.

Cons

The district managers all the way up to the CEO seemed to be quite confused. The company had been run into the ground, check out the stock price.

The company kept preaching 'customer service', but didn't provide the man hours to provide that customer service.

9. "Company has been treating employees progressively worse for years. Probably go bankrupt in the next 5 years or so."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Ormond Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Ormond Beach, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing comes to mind. Discount on pens? It's making me write more but I don't have anything really good to say. I guess I got some decent experience.

Cons

Giving away money to horrible customers who don't deserve special treatment. Low pay, work every holiday, etc. Retail brings out the worst in people.

10. "This place will suck the life out of your soul"

Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Longview, WA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you a 15 min break verses 10 min break.

Cons

They don't train you well.
    People hate it so much, that there are constantly new employees.
    Takes 4+ weeks to get the hiring process started.
    They don't want you to move up in the company.
    If you're new, expect to be thrown under the bus CONSTANTLY.
    Supervisors will constantly tell you/imply you are lying when you call out sick.
    There's so much work and training that you should be paid more than minimum wage.
    Everyone talks badly about everyone, don't expect to make real friends.
    Any reports made to HR will be squished to make it like it never happened.
    You contact HR? You're shunned by all your fellow employees.
    Higher Ups do not look into things, if they like the person, that person is correct. With NO evidence.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like real people, not just cogs in a machine.

11. "Great place to learn how to offer customers complete solutions for their office needs."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Stockbridge, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Stockbridge, GA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and learned a lot about sales. They seemed very concerned about customer satisfaction and gave a lot of discounts when necessary.

Cons

In four years I wasn't able to transition to a leader role, also it was really hard to satisfy all customers because a lot of things were not kept in stock.

Advice to Management

Put faith in local employees and train them to work at their best so they can be promoted from within.

Showing 3,195 of 3,231 reviews