Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2020

2.5
Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) Founder and Principal Architect Rem Koolhaas
Rem Koolhaas
  1. "Had a great time"

Former Employee - Intern Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is really interesting and the environment is fast paced and exciting, the people were young and energetic, passionate about architecture

Cons

Can be overwhelming sometimes in terms of time commitment, constantly work overtime, but again, on projects that are great

2. "Office in Transition - Projects Rushed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Junior Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Access to great minds and hard working individuals that try to push design. Great exposure to competitions and early stage design development.

Cons

No work-life balance, and are often expected to work long hours and weekends. No chance for upward movement unless you can commit 10+ years; no exposure to later design stages as most CD work is outsourced. Terrible office organization and competition between partners for staff; toxic work environment where people talk behind your back.

Continue reading

"Avoid at all costs - New York office review *NOT Rotterdam HQ"

Former Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) full-time for more than a year

Pros

None unless you enjoy working for highly egotistical, disorganized and unpleasant leaders.

Cons

Sexism, racism, lack of trust from management - management installed a camera on studio floor to 'spy' on workers - aggressive outbursts, bullying emails, expect to work all day, night and weekend. 90+ hour weeks. Horrendous office culture.

"Junior Architect"

Former Employee - Junior Architect in New York, NY

Pros

Looks good on your resume.

Cons

Ruthless working enviromìnemt that only take advantage of production skills and ability to work endless hours. The management really doesn't care if you sleep a couple of hours on your chair or you do not sleep at all as long as the deadline is met. you are expected to work at least until midnight and weekends as well. It is so disorganized that you often work for nothing and you cannot even plan a dinner the same day because you never know what's gonna happen. Simply ridiculous. Not very talented and knowledgeable people at the top of the chain. They basically just talk making you doing random shapes and design. Not the OMA I was expecting. Not radical at all rather FORMALISTIC in they're projects. Many times I was commented, "make it weirder". Very unhappy working environment and a lot of dissatisfied people. Huge turnover and no OMA legacy left in the office. Forget having a life.

Continue reading
  5. "Good experience while young"

I worked at Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) full-time

Pros

Great community of talented and highly motivated designers from all over the world.

Cons

Bad management. Some project leaders are incompetent. Long work hours. Endless design iterations.

Continue reading

"Just good for your resume"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

OMA is not on a constant hiring spree so if you're given an offer, I would take still take it for brand recognition on the resume. There is no short supply for gossip so if you're into that you will appreciate it. On the plus side, if you stay long enough you might go from intern to junior design to senior design to directors and maybe a partner.

Cons

Terrible work hours. You are expected to stay late and overnight including weekends. The hours are so unpredictable that you cannot even plan for dinners that night. The terrible work environment brings out the worst in people and the company culture tends to retain those who are able to ride the political wave and survive the contentious atmosphere. It favors those things over design talent. Mostly recruits from Harvard, Columbia and Cornell.

"180 Varick Sweatshop"

1.0

I worked at Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA)

Pros

At the time I took this job, it was my dream place to work. However, I am not even sure how relevant their reputation is anymore.

Cons

You work long hours. I ate every meal at the office and took a cab home almost every single night. Working on the weekend was normal. Pay very low. In general, the office culture was depressing.

8. "good experience"

I have been working at Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) full-time

Pros

Interesting projects and different people

Cons

overtime work is quite frequent

9. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Architect in Rotterdam

I have been working at Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Creative, inspirational and broad network of people to work with

Cons

- No long-term focus or vision - No joint management view - No transparency or ability to influence company direction

10. "working at OMA"

1.0

Pros

Top in its field. Diversity in projects.

Cons

Competition amongst employees due to HR strategy, bad "trainee"program (non existing: just cheap labour opportunity).

Found 17 reviews