Office of Financial Regulation - Florida Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "AAII"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good sense of teamwork, within divisions and between divisions, which really reflects the slogan of "One OFR." Lots of room to grow and move up.

Cons

No downsides have been encountered as of yet. It's more or less what you would expect of a state office job.

2. "Difficult work environment"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good experience, stepping stone to something better

Cons

Salary, difficult work conditions (have to carpool to assignments), micromanagent by inexperienced managers

Advice to Management

Given salary constraints need to make work environment enjoyable to retain employees. High turnover has a cost factor.

3. "Bank examiner"

Former Employee - Bank Examiner
    Former Employee - Bank Examiner

I worked at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience, training, exit opportunities, 40 hours a week, management generally supports you but I've heard bad things about the deputy commissioner and up level. Bureau chief is very good and cares.

Cons

Pay is terrible, benefits are mediocre for government work. Federal agencies do the same job but OFR's total compensation package is around half of what the feds are. Lack of trained employees means that OFR will drop the ball at some point and embarrass the state. Look at what's going on with the state prison system--same stuff at OFR, just hasn't hit the fan... yet.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to be quasi-competitive. It's REALLY bad and causes excessive turnover.

4. "Ticket punch job for 12-18 months"

Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get's you in the government system if that's what you want and why would you want that? Benefits are OK, used to be alot better then private sector, but now they are just the same.

Cons

Where to start. Don't even look at your paycheck. It's not worth the heart ache. I'm not sure what is wrong with the State of Florida, but they couldn't care less about you making an actual wage. No raises in 7 years!!!! Actually, because of cost of living, you make about 2-3% LESS per year. Completely inflexible hours. 8-5, period. Get into the 90's Florida. Everyone has flex schedules. Management, well, what can I say, you get what you pay for. Managers making 50K a year??? You get the bottom of the crop with this crew. They work here because no on else will hire them. No promotion potential at all!! I'm doing you a huge favor steering you away from this place, but you won't listen to me because you "need a job". Get stuck here for a year or two and no one else will touch you. Don't say I didn't tell you. The only exception would be if you just graduated from college. Get in, stay a year, then get out!!!!

Advice to Management

Educate yourself on how to properly train, administer, and retain your employees. I've seen so many new people in the last 24 months it's insane.

5. "Management is weak"

I worked at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits
    -40 hour work week
    -Travel
    -Resume builder

Cons

-High Turnover at field and HQ level
    -Management team are not leaders
    -Information is not passed down from HQ in Tallahassee
    -job security issues in 5 to 10 years

Advice to Management

Do not blame everything on pay and give employees benefits that cost the state nothing like telecommuting or more flexible hours

"Horrible Place to Work"

Pros

You get to show up to work and do nothing all day, but that's not really a pro, it gets old. Insurance is good. That's it!!!

Cons

Horrible Pay, horrible management, you sit in your office as an investigator all day and do nothing. When you do have work to do it takes you a few minutes. People are clicking and sit in their office all day as the clock tries to pass. Ohhh should I mention that you are on probation for a year and they can let you go at ANY time for any reason. I was let go and not given a reason...was forced to resign and was told, "The agency no longer requires your service". I didn't even do anything wrong. Then they force you to sign a waiver stating you can't sue, and you have no complaint. The place was one of the worst jobs I've had. It just passed the time and paid the bills.

Advice to Management

Get real about this as a workplace.

7. "Excellent Stepping to FINRA or the SEC"

Current Employee - Financial Examiner/Analyst II in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Examiner/Analyst II in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Florida Office of Financial Regulation. The pay is suck. But this is an excellent stepping stone to something better such as FINRA, the SEC, or FBI.

Cons

Crappy pay... and the inability to work another job (supplement income).

Advice to Management

Pay more money so you can keep your employees.

8. "Assistant General Counsel"

I worked at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida full-time

Pros

Great group of people to work for. Everyone was really helpful and down to earth and eager to help. It was a big family.

Cons

A lot or red tape and bureaucracy happens when the leadership changes. The Commissioner position is dictated by the Governor and is political. So the most qualified candidates do not always get the job. This leads to poor leadership from the top down.

Advice to Management

The pay as a state employee is not good at all, so do not take away the other perks that make the job worthwhile, such as the ability to telecommute and flexibility with time off.

"Financial Examiner Analyst II"

Former Employee - Financial Examiner Analyst II in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Examiner Analyst II in Orlando, FL

I worked at Office of Financial Regulation - Florida full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience to add to your resume
    You will learn a lot through the other employees.
    Good benefits.
    Opportunities for promotion if you are willing to manage and only make $50k

Cons

The office is filthy, we had mice and had to check our desks for droppings daily.
    No training provided, you are expected to learn from the other examiners and read the manuals.
    Expectations not in line with salaries paid.
    It is impossible to complete your cases timely with everything else that is expected from you; you will always be behind.
    No OT or bonuses.
    High turnover environment due to salaries and work environment.

Advice to Management

Develop a training program and do not base metrics on violations found.

10. "Financial Examiner Analyst 1"

Current Employee - Financial Examiner Analyst in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Examiner Analyst in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

Good, friendly atmosphere. Not a high stress environment.

Cons

low pay, minimal room for advancement in current position.

Advice to Management

more incentive, promotional opportunities needed