Office of James Burnett Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 2, 2018

2.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enjoyed working in Office"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office of James Burnett part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as their receptionist for about a year and enjoyed my experience. They are all very kind people and it takes awhile to get comfortable but my supervisor was great.

Cons

The office environment could be more social but they are focused on work- so that's good. Once you get comfortable it's fun.

2. "Rife with disrespect, ridiculous demands, no work/life balance, misogynists rule a miserable environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Office of James Burnett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. There are a few nice people working here, but they are run ragged by a heartless, overzealous CEO who will do anything to make a buck and make a name.

Cons

If you enjoy working 80-hr work wks (including regularly working until morning and on weekends), being belittled publicly, not having your work appreciated even though you exceed benchmarks, awful "benefits" (being bought a cheap lunch because the CEO doesn't want you to break the tether to your desk, is NOT a benefit), being penalized for taking the vacation time you have earned, having no work/life balance, misogyny, no HR department, unrealistic goals, micromanagement, unrealiable equipment that constantly fails, THEN THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU!

Hands down, this was the absolute worst, mismanaged, and unprofessional firm I have ever worked for. The cattiness of "management" was inspirational - as in it inspired me to never be that kind of person to another human. The atmosphere is always tense and management is demeaning and demoralizing. Beyond how you are treated, you see how others interact with one another and it's so disheartening. You're told it's all in the name of the game, except I've met designers from other firms and they DO NOT work in similar environments. The turnover here is extremely high and for a reason. If on your first day you're told about how awful the CEO is, heed the warning. It's not an exaggeration. Run. You can do better. If you're looking to establish yourself in your career, there are PLENTY of design firms out there that value their employees. Find one. Don't settle for this place.

Advice to Management

There is nothing that can be said. The terrible environment is the result of an awful CEO who hires likeminded leadership. Things will never change.

"Would Never Recommend"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

Pros

Salary is good, work is challenging.

Cons

It the most inhuman, insensitive and money minded people I have worked for. I guess wall street is still humane, as they pay for the hours you work for. Architecture is a rough profession, but OJB redefines roughness. I have written my review many time, but they go and delete it.

They take pride in long hours and publicly insulting employees. Its not a conducive place for creative people, but a great place for dog lovers.

"Unless you are a Landscape Designer go else where"

I have been working at Office of James Burnett full-time

Pros

If you bend over backwards often, on-demand and without question - you will probably get a great bonus. If you enjoy work all hours of the night because senior management procrastinates well this company is for you! And the best part is that pay for take-out on late nights?!

Cons

Most people that work there have Daddy issues and just deal with the CEO belittling and disrespecting them. It is quite sad to see such a successful company be so crappy to their employees.

"Good Work Experience with no rewards"

I have been working at Office of James Burnett (More than a year)

Pros

High Compensation when you start. Excellent benefits, but its all a candy to get you in. But the amount of hours you finally work per week, this compensation is very low.

Cons

Management is quite poor, very low definition of professional code. Every day you live in stress and very high level of undefined expectations. No work life balance. Most of the promises made by management are either overruled by extreme deadlines, or just ignored. Very high employee turnover rate, most of the work staff is 1-2 yr old, with quite young immature leadership. High rate of sacking. Since, I have joined 4 people have been sacked in two years. If you have/want to have a family, this is not a place for you to work. As a designer your creativity is under overload by office standards, non innovative approach, recycling of design ideas. The are quite arrogant to the current work in profession by other designer. Constant feeling of mistrust and bossiness, use of "f" word in professional atmosphere. After working for 12 hours, no dinner is served or is of lower quality, you work through weekends and get no compensation days.