Office of James Burnett Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 9, 2017

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Enjoyed working in Office"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office of James Burnett part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as their receptionist for about a year and enjoyed my experience. They are all very kind people and it takes awhile to get comfortable but my supervisor was great.

Cons

The office environment could be more social but they are focused on work- so that's good. Once you get comfortable it's fun.

"Would Never Recommend"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

Pros

Salary is good, work is challenging.

Cons

It the most inhuman, insensitive and money minded people I have worked for. I guess wall street is still humane, as they pay for the hours you work for. Architecture is a rough profession, but OJB redefines roughness. I have written my review many time, but they go and delete it.

They take pride in long hours and publicly insulting employees. Its not a conducive place for creative people, but a great place for dog lovers.

"Unless you are a Landscape Designer go else where"

I have been working at Office of James Burnett full-time

Pros

If you bend over backwards often, on-demand and without question - you will probably get a great bonus. If you enjoy work all hours of the night because senior management procrastinates well this company is for you! And the best part is that pay for take-out on late nights?!

Cons

Most people that work there have Daddy issues and just deal with the CEO belittling and disrespecting them. It is quite sad to see such a successful company be so crappy to their employees.

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office of James Burnett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quality of work, coworkers and upper management. This firm cultivates a strong team and a creative, studio atmosphere. They work with you to accommodate the direction you want to see your career go, and employees view each other as family. The principals at OJB have great vision and care about their staff.

If you are unwilling to put in the hours required at OJB and other high design firms, then you don't get to work on prestigious, high caliber projects. Unfortunately, that's the industry standard. I am personally very invested in my projects and I get the support I need in order to remain so.

Cons

Yes, the hours are long, but the pay is good.

"Good Work Experience with no rewards"

I have been working at Office of James Burnett (More than a year)

Pros

High Compensation when you start. Excellent benefits, but its all a candy to get you in. But the amount of hours you finally work per week, this compensation is very low.

Cons

Management is quite poor, very low definition of professional code. Every day you live in stress and very high level of undefined expectations. No work life balance. Most of the promises made by management are either overruled by extreme deadlines, or just ignored. Very high employee turnover rate, most of the work staff is 1-2 yr old, with quite young immature leadership. High rate of sacking. Since, I have joined 4 people have been sacked in two years. If you have/want to have a family, this is not a place for you to work. As a designer your creativity is under overload by office standards, non innovative approach, recycling of design ideas. The are quite arrogant to the current work in profession by other designer. Constant feeling of mistrust and bossiness, use of "f" word in professional atmosphere. After working for 12 hours, no dinner is served or is of lower quality, you work through weekends and get no compensation days.