Office of the New York State Comptroller Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas P. DiNapoli

"Senior Accountant"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Albany, NY

I have been working at Office of the New York State Comptroller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great company to work for and the environment is very friendly. If you are looking to get into the state I would recommend the Office of the State Comptroller. It is one of the better state agencies to work for.

Cons

The downside to working for the state is the promotional opportunities are given based off of exam lists. It is not based off of education, experience or work ethic.

2. "Just need to show up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at Office of the New York State Comptroller full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LOTS of downtime, also one of the nicer state government buildings to work in..

Cons

- Terrible upper management that holds grudges
     - Quality and quantity of work doesn't matter whatsoever, as long as you're there when you're supposed to be and sitting quietly at your desk, you'll be fine.

3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - ITS-2 in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - ITS-2 in Albany, NY

I have been working at Office of the New York State Comptroller full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy from governor
    Able to pick projects I find interesting
    Great office building
    Smart co-workers

Cons

Upward mobility, Parking, High structure

Advice to Management

Keep it up

5. "WORST JOB I'VE EVER HAD!!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Newark, NJ

Pros

The only pro of this job is the alternate work schedule. Also you get CPA credits for this job BUT once you pass the exam they can take forever to get you certified by the state. I guess you can say the pension system is a pro is well. The best pro is that you get to work in NYC and you get to see a lot since you're a traveling auditor.

Cons

The cons of this job. The pay is horrible for NYC. The politics ruin the job in which how well you brown nose is more important than the work you do. People in there rather see you fail than succeed as they nit pick on everything you do wrong and they NEVER praise anything you do right. The training is often irrelevant to the job itself. People often put you down if your disagree with them and they're intimidated by your intelligence. A lot people don't know what they're doing but if you're new and you try to give ideas on how to improve a process you are viewed as a trouble maker and you're rocking the boat. Definitely would not recommend this job to my worst enemy it's the worst job I've ever had I'm not using my intelligence at all and if you're a driven and a passionate individual DO NOT take this job. I had no choice as I needed a job in a terrible economy.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent people and promote people that deserve the promotions. Don't just promote those that know "how to play the game" and suck up for promotions. Make sure that people feel important and they're part of the bigger picture and not just a replaceable part that way you can keep the good talent that you often lose out on.

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Well, it should be 2009-2010. Really nice people to work with! I learned a lot during my internship from my boss and colleague. For example, I was given an opportunity to use econometric models to help with some projects. Overall, it's a pleasure to work there and know all my awesome colleagues:)

Cons

As an intern, I dont see any cons about the work there. Enjoyed working there:)

"bureaucracy at its worst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

You'll never be fired, no one expects much, and if you've been there a long time the pension is good (must be in older "tier" of system so there's no hope for new people).

Cons

Nothing changes, everything is as inefficient as you could imagine, and the people are crazy. Your soul will slowly die.

Advice to Management

Come into the future! Update business with modern technology and practices. Shed the dead weight of countess employees who do nothing, or train them to do something useful.

8. "Senior Investment Officer"

Current Employee - Senior Municipal Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Municipal Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Office of the New York State Comptroller (More than 5 years)

Pros

very good, good exposure to learn

Cons

no cons at this time

Advice to Management

nothing

9. "Stable Work, Stable Employment"

Former Employee - Senior Examiner in Albany, NY

I worked at Office of the New York State Comptroller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A stable job, civil service employment, good enough pay. Generous leave and health benefits.

Cons

Frequent, long travel commitments. Either long driving commutes or M-F stays at hotels for a few months at audit client locations.

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

Employee Oriented, Flexible environment, Ample training opportunities

Cons

Being a state job, downtime could be a bigger challenge

"Local Government and School Accountability-Statewide"

Former Employee - Senior Examiner in Albany, NY

Pros

Benefits, nothing else to say about this unit in OSC called Statewide

Cons

The worst place place to start working. Very close minded individuals and racist. They use evaluation As a tool to intimidate new employees. They abuse their employees because they know the unions will protect them. The work is know hard but the co workers and the management are the most psychotic and most unhappiest people I've ever met therefore they wake up every morning to come to work to make people's lives miserable. Stay away from statewide. They have a high turn over rate because no one wants to stay because of how horrible they are treated. This unit serves no purpose and should be disbanded. Some supervisors stay home and babysit there children and yet they claim they are working in the office. When you report such incidence you will become public enemy number one. Don't let these people with no advanced degrees destroy your career. They are shameless about insulting the president of the United States in front of you and discussing their politics openly, when you disagree u will become the enemy. These are the only people who are actually happy to see one fail. They set you up for failure. Sad but true.

Advice to Management

Stop supporting each other and think objectively, which will never happen because they all gang up together to see you fail. And please stop hiring Africans because you know they will not complain your abuses. They purposely avoid hiring African Americans because you know they will speak up and not condone mistreatment. Stop interfering in people's private lives, they came to work not to come share my family lives.