OfficeMax Reviews | Glassdoor

1,713 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,713 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Being bought out by Office Depot (in 103 reviews)

• Current merger with Office Depot has been rough (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great stores have great management, however company is failing"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Develop great relationships with customers, decent benefits, reliable paycheck, decent environment, convenient location, some stores have great managers, not bad pay depending on state you're in or position relatively flexible hours.

Cons

Unrealistic goals, prone to micromanagement, poor payroll flexibility subpar training, too many individual goals for one to focus on, high turnover ratio in most stores due to bad culture and management as well associates not getting promotion opportunities. A lot of outside company hiring not enough promoting from within.

Advice to Management

Increase payroll regardless of trying to always better bottom line, better training of new hires, create better workplace environment and ethics.

2. "Didn't seem to have their act together"

I worked at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

The starting pay was pretty decent. Preliminary training was very painless and employee-friendly.

Cons

I was employed at the busiest time of year, so training was more of a self-guided thing. Employees were constantly shifting in and out (some with bizarre hours and most either quitting or planning on quitting). Organization and upkeep seemed way behind and by the time I left they were already hiring new management (keep in mind I only worked there a month). It took me weeks to get an interview, once I got the interview it took me two more to be told I got the job. Once I got the position, it took almost a month to get my basic training and by the time I had finally started working, at least 3 months had passed.

Advice to Management

There has to be some reason the recidivism rate for employment is so high. It seems to me that there needs to be somebody at the helm willing to provide more than what was being offered. When I was employed, Office Depot had already acquiesced OfficeMax, and by the time I left, Staples had tried to acquiesce Office Depot but was denied due to anti-trust laws. It seems to me something's got to give and change is going to happen (whether for better or worse).

3. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Humble, TX

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

call you in all the time
    managers dont back you up
    crappy customers

Cons

pay was not to bad

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like any other retail job honestly!

Cons

Long hours - Low pay
    Low Quality employees
    etc

6. "my experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they have good business ethics

Cons

management have some work to do

7. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Knightdale, NC
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Knightdale, NC

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A upbeat environment, with a focus on growing your customer relations skills and selling skills.

Cons

A lower starting pay then many other retail companies.

Advice to Management

Increase your base starting pay to attract more experienced employees.

8. "Print Supervisor"

Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Supervisor
    Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Supervisor

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, supportive management team, positive environment.

Cons

High turnover rate in associates.

9. "Flexible, but short hours"

Former Employee - Copy and Print Sales Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Sales Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible
    Liked some of the managers

Cons

Will cut your hours ridiculously if you don't have an open schedule
    Only have one person at impress at all times
    There would be times I wouldn't even get backup because "no one is available" but really it's because they dont train the damn workers so they can't help anyway
    The work ethic and some of the attitudes of staff at this location is APPALLING, I don't understand how they don't get fired! People only get fired for no shows, not poor attitude, sales, or even for coming in under some drugs!

Advice to Management

Yeah, pay us more! $9 an hour at copy center is not worth the headache and the lack of help back there.
    Train better! Don't just train an associate for two weeks and just leave them to do everything themselves! Doing that will cause for orders to be done wrong, inability to answer customer questions, and just losing more money in the process just to cut corners.
    Don't even promote someone to be a store manager if they've never worked copy center for at least a year. The one I had knew the bare minimum and every time I needed help while I was on shift with them, I NEVER got the help I needed. I felt like because they don't understand what my department goes through, they aren't sympathetic. Some of my coworkers even REFUSED to help me knowing that I had a long line full of customers.
    Don't bother working the copy center if you see that there's only one person back there at a time. Trust me, it's not worth it. If you do end up working there, don't plan on staying there long. Look for somewhere else to work because this is only good as part time when you're in school.

10. "Meh"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not every busy, except for during school season

Cons

- Management has a high turn over rate, I had 3 managers within a 5-6 month window!!! For various reasons, including inappropriate behavior towards staff and customers.
    - Unorganized (which is ironic xD)
    - All around not a great place to work but it's not also the worst, if you need a part-time job I would just go for it and then maybe look for a job you would enjoy more while there.

Advice to Management

Get your head on straight and stop freaking acting like every transaction is a life or death situation, a kid wants to buy a soda so the card doesn't run the first time and you start freaking out about calling the card company or corporate in a matter of seconds, just......sighhhh 😒

11. "Selling tech, furnature, and office supplies"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Westlake, OH

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and a moderately structured environment. Managers are reasonable and usually understanding to schedule changes.

Cons

Constant pressure to sell everything to everyone. Some policies do not make logical sense. Often times employees closing on a particular day are held at work past the time they are scheduled to and complete unnecessary tasks such as doing "recovery" aka spending hours to make the isles look perfect- slight imperfections are not accepted by management.

Showing 1,713 of 1,722 reviews