Ogilvy Assistant Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 25, 2019

2.1
Ogilvy Global CEO John Seifert
John Seifert
  1. "More than just a name"

I have been working at Ogilvy full-time for less than a year

Pros

-amazing office -great culture -cool, SMART coworkers

Cons

-you need to fight for yourself here, nothing will be handed to you. which really could be seen as a pro also

Ogilvy2016-08-01

"David Ogilvy is rolling in his grave"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I worked at Ogilvy full-time for more than a year

Pros

The opportunity to work with exceptionally talented people who are overworked and underpaid.

Cons

When I got to Ogilvy I was genuinely excited to be a part of a company with a storied history. I was ready to be a part of a team and grow as a young professional. However, my outlook quickly changed when the first all team meeting in my first week was our managing director telling us that our business with the client is being significantly reduced, which made me wonder why I was added to the team in the first place. In the coming months, nearly half of the sizable account and project management team left to other agencies, including both of the account execs I worked under as well as the account supervisor they worked under. I was left to work under a different account supervisor for a completely different part of the business that clearly didn't know what to do with me. After about a month of confusion I was kicked off the team and told it was due to my own incompetence with no concession of the horrible management of the team. After sitting at my desk with no team and nothing to do but look busy for a month while operations figured out what to do with me, I was put on a small team consisting only of an account director and supervisor, neither of which had the desire or time to train a junior. In addition, I was put on a pro-bono client as well as one of the agencies largest and most needy clients. Ironically, I worked well with this team and they definitely had the capacity to help me succeed, but my responsibilities with the other two clients would get in the way of my duties time and time again. Eventually my position was eliminated after a tumultuous of being passed from team to team and going from no work to too much work.

Advice to Management

Invest in your young people, don't treat them like a commodity.

Ogilvy2019-07-25

"In serious trouble"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Ogilvy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Looks good on resumes, fast-paced, and will learn a lot if you are young

Cons

Ogilvy as a whole is struggling as they "restructure". Keep that in mind when considering a role with them. They are not stable right now. In DC: Management constantly makes you feel undervalued as an entry level employee b/c management did not make time to train new/young employees, no HR in dc office, employees were not team oriented and people were out for their own personal and professional gain, the clients suffered all the time, certain staff were overworked and it reflected in their ability to be more team oriented or go the extra mile for their coworkers or clients, its not a very fun or social office

Advice to Management

Respect that new and younger employees may take more time to grow, be available to help them and at least pretend like you are interested in their growth. Some type of office bonding events could help smooth the awkward social gaps.

Ogilvy2019-01-14
  4. "Assistant Account Executive"

I have been working at Ogilvy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative, plenty of opportunities to be exposed to senior leadership

Cons

Can be too cliquey and a little uptight

Ogilvy2017-12-18

"Robotic and unhealthy environment"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot during my time here, whether or not most of it was from being relied on for extensive administrative work Decent training Big agency

Cons

Was not given one writing opportunity during my tenure They hire you if you are "moldable" rather than based on what you can bring to the table and your personality You have no chance of getting promoted under two years and there is hardly any room for growth Toxic work environment where senior leaders do not lead by example, will micro-manage you, not give you any independence, steal credit for themselves Horrible HR support No work-life balance

Advice to Management

Hire better senior-level people who can actually provide mentorship to your juniors. Don't forget your junior level staff will one day be the leaders of the company, so invest in them! Bring back the fun perks that once existed.

Ogilvy2017-11-07
  6. "You Can't Beat the People"

I have been working at Ogilvy full-time for more than a year

Pros

There truly is no culture like Ogilvy's. When they say it's a family the mean it.

Cons

That said, no family is perfect. Upward mobility in for title and salary can be a little tricky.

Ogilvy2017-01-25

"Great for learning"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun office space You will learn a lot from intelligent, curious colleagues Lots of training opportunities

Cons

Typical agency, long hours Most projects are shared with different departments which require constant follow ups Very fast-paced

Ogilvy2015-11-03

"Atmosphere"

Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ogilvy

Pros

Everyone enjoys working there even though the hours are long.

Cons

The long hours and work grind.

Ogilvy2015-05-09

"Ogilvy"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ogilvy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team. Many learning opportunities. Wide exposure.

Cons

Low pay. No transparency in future prospects of career.

Ogilvy2015-01-28
  10. "Long working hours"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Taipei

I have been working at Ogilvy full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are able to work with a lot of big name companies

Cons

Low pay and long working hours(11-13hr/day average). Usually don't get paid overtime

Advice to Management

I don't feel the management levels care about their employees that much. So staff turnover is very high. But the opportunity to work for big companies still attracts people, especially fresh graduates, to join our company.

Ogilvy2018-11-07