Ogilvy CommonHealth Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Andrew Schirmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work environment, Awesome/creative employees" (in 12 reviews)

• "Many people who work there have for over a decade so I think that says a lot about the company" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Extremely high workload with long hours" (in 16 reviews)

• "No reasonable work life balance" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

Amazing experience, learned a lot

Cons

Some busy work, didn’t always have a lot to do

"New Management Already Making a Big Difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Ogilvy CommonHealth (More than 8 years)

Pros

With a new chief executive (Andrew Schirmer) and a new chief creative (Samantha Dolin) the future at this agency is looking really good and people here are feeling positive for the first time in a long time. OCH has always been full of smart, really good, talented people--finally now it seems we've got a leadership team that sees the parts that are broken and needs to be fixed and is being really transparent about what they plan to do to fix them. After years of "same old, same old" and an executive team that was turning a blind eye to was wrong here because they had created most of the internal problems we've been dealing with, the new leadership seems determined to unpack it all, take a look at what works and keep/build upon those things, while discarding what simply isn't working--for our people and our processes. Out with the old!

This has always been a very family friendly place--and the general perspective is we rally around our own. If a fellow colleague needs to leave because their kid is sick, if someone is drowning in client deliverables and is at risk of not being able to attend an important family event--our people step up and cover for each other. It's that kind of atmosphere.

Individuality, diversity & inclusiveness is encouraged here. Glory hogs need not apply, as you'll undoubtedly be isolated and eventually find you're not welcome here.

Lots of opportunity for smart people who want to get some individual visibility. The agency strongly encourages their employees to write opinion pieces on their blog and to participate in editorial opportunities that are identified for them. OCH is fantastic at promoting these pieces on all their channels.
    Can't find a smarter group of people--the brain power alone here is remarkable.

Cons

There are years of damage that need to be repaired, trust that needs to be rebuilt, and while even in Andrew's first few months here we've seen amazing strides forward, it's going to take some time to get us back to the truly amazing culture we espouse to have here.

People still have no idea what Health & Wellness means to us or why we need to be a part of that. Seems like just another tier to have to work with/through.

One particular long-term senior executive is so hellbent on controlling the last bit of authority he still has that the agency is often forced to make penny wise-pound foolish decisions that make the staff question whether or not true change can happen with him still at the executive table.

The agency needs to get better at truly being mobile-first and allowing all eligible employees to work from home. There are pockets where this is already in place and working well and others where managers don't allow it because that's "not how they grew up in the business". Get over it, people--we're in the 21st century and as long as people are getting their work done and client needs are met, management needs to be more flexible with hours and location.

Finally, the lack of regard for creative has been a real problem for some time. Management has either refused to meet the offers some of our better creative employees have received from other agencies, causing us to lose them, they have overburdened those who are already doing more than their share, or let go of some of the best creative people in the business simply because they couldn't figure out how to structure the agency to support them or negated their contributions as something a lesser-paid junior could do when in fact, they can't and ultimately, you get what you pay for. Our creative output has suffered as a result of these losses and the priorities forced upon the teams.

Advice to Management

1) Keep up the good work Andrew! Keep showing everyone that you mean what you say and then back it up with regular and consistent action.
    2) Make sure EVERY person on the executive management is really on the same, forward-looking page and not just saying one thing and repeating the same bad practices as soon as others aren't looking.
    3) Put better flexible hours/arrangements for employees into practice.
    4) Try to get back some of the creatives you've lost or let go. We used to be a bold, brave, creative powerhouse. The people here have some talent but most of the best have found greener pastures.
    5) Find ways to make the salaries here as competitive as they are elsewhere.

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy CommonHealth full-time

Pros

New CEO is the real deal. Tons of new hires, fresh talent all focused on world class brands. Lots of amazing innovation in data and technology.

Cons

Still not enough people, raises or bonuses.

Advice to Management

People over profit. Keep bringing new in talent and if you don’t pay they won’t stay.

4. "Great potential, but currently lacking foundational necessities"

Former Employee - Account Services
    Former Employee - Account Services

I worked at Ogilvy CommonHealth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Inspiring physical environment, established creatives with industry knowledge, good compensation

Cons

Micromanagement, too many layers, lack of integration, job protectionism, too much focus on finances

Advice to Management

Restore focus to client-first, creative excellence, and collaboration. Reduce focus on negligible financial issues that are time consuming.

"CEO a welcome addition!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Ogilvy CommonHealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After a year without a CEO, Andrew is a breath of fresh air. We are already seeing the benefits of his leadership. He’s a welcome addition and I can’t wait to see what the future holds with him as our leader.

Cons

Everything takes time. Hopefully he will be given the opportunity to enact change with realistic expectations.

"Moving in the right direction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Ogilvy CommonHealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, talented people who are very dedicated to what they do and producing great work. New CEO is onboard and quickly making a positive impact.

Cons

Lots of change. Company realignment takes time.

Advice to Management

Ensure managers are focusing on employee development.

"Great people, great agency"

I have been working at Ogilvy CommonHealth full-time

Pros

Awesome talented hard working smart people, authentic leaders. Andrew Schirmer is the new CEO and is already making a difference! Lots of opportunity to make a difference and see the impact of hard work.

Cons

Need to get better at performance management. Healthcare advertising is a volatile and dynamic business that requires agility to manage frequent changes in this client driven business.

"Do not work here"

I worked at Ogilvy CommonHealth (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, some great coworkers who work very hard

Cons

Do not work here. This place is a sinking ship with unethical business practices. They pitch “big ideas” which are really just fairy tales that cannot be implemented, then chase their tails to try to implement, running their staff ragged until everyone leaves. They reward those who embellish capabilities to clients and do not hold the right people accountable for failing to deliver results. Incentives are completely misaligned, and management has no control over the future of their teams- all decisions about raises and promotions are controlled by a handful of people who have no line of sight into the actual work being done on the ground.

Advice to Management

Start rewarding integrity and hard work and maybe people will actually want to work here.

9. "n/a"

I have been working at Ogilvy CommonHealth full-time

Pros

Close to home. Many wonderful coworkers.

Cons

The company doesn't care as much about the employees as it should.

Advice to Management

They need revise the way employees are compensated across the company. Some employees are very well compensated others don't get raises for years or even a bonuses.

"Toxic Enviro"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Brand name sticks out on resume, office is nice, clients are major players in the healthcare industry

Cons

Fighting between departments, temper tantrums, talking behind others' backs, work-life balance non-existent, no lunch, poor communication amongst departments, room for growth seems minimal