Ogilvy & Mather Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO John Seifert
John Seifert

Pros
  • They focus heavily on company culture and making it a great work environment (in 58 reviews)

• teams are well-staffed, good work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

Cons

1. "Increasingly irrelevant; incredibly mediocre agency"

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Some smart people in certain areas. Even a few creative people. Advice to those considering joining - only do so if you have absolutely no other options. Ogilvy on the resume is a black mark if you care about creativity.

Cons

The best and brightest leave Ogilvy quickly. (See revolving door at the CCO level and throughout the creative team) This is an agency that does not want to evolve and is led by old white men operating in their own echo chamber of thinking - most of leadership has not worked outside their own walls for decades.

Advice to Management

Milk it for all it's worth as you continue to decline to irrelevance and/or being folded into one mega-WPP agency and the Ogilvy name disappears. David has already rolled over a dozen times based on what you've done to his agency.

"OgilvyRED is not a start-up. Don't be fooled (This is a review of OgilvyRED, not Ogilvy & Mather)"

Former Employee - OgilvyRED Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - OgilvyRED Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being apart of the Ogilvy network.

Cons

OgilvyRED brands itself as a start-up within the Ogilvy umbrella, but it really isn't. I realized almost immediately senior management does this to absolve themselves from any potential guilt they may feel from forcing employees to work long hours and weekends. You will not receive any equity in the company, and compensation is below industry competitors.

Employees that had been with OgilvyRED for a over a year had a lot to complain about. Some of the more common complaints include, never receiving a performance review or guidance with regards to a promotion or raise, having little to no autonomy and being ostracized for having an individual thought or opinion, and being assigned low level tasks (writing up interview notes, designing power point decks,...) as opposed to the cutting edge strategic consulting that was promised during interviewing.

I was fooled into thinking it was a start-up, and after about a month of working there i regretted accepting the position. I left OgilvyRED for an actual start-up and I am much happier.

Advice to Management

Improve employee morale.

3. "Creative Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great brands, great promise. Great history

Cons

Too many pigs at the trough. Too top heavy.

Advice to Management

Treat senior people who bring in business with the respect they deserve. They can and will leave. Pay is way lower than any other major agency.

5. "Not a great place to grow"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern

Pros

The cafeteria, building and facilities are all top-notch. The people are reasonably friendly and there's a lot of talent.

Cons

Feels dead-end, the office location is hard-to-reach and the overall company feels too corporate and bureaucratic. Difficult to get involved in day to day assignments. People tend to be in their own heads.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employee's personal growth

"down hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the Merchandise Mart is extremely convenient.
    25 cent pop and free ice cream and massages. Although I think those luxuries will be axed soon to increase profit margin.
    There are opportunities to move laterally in agency from one department to another.
    There are some great people who work here.

Cons

Low wages, no raises, no bonuses, or even cost-of-living raises. What you get as an offer will likely stick with you until you leave.

It feels as though managers always seem to scapegoat the Parent company.
    Losing perks? The parent company needs bigger profit margin.
    Want a raise? The parent company has to provide additional funds before that can be thought of.
    Still want a raise? You must be on a list, but if you are not high enough then you're SOL.
    Want a promotion? The parent company must wait until Jupiter and Mars align with Uranus, and if you do get a promotion, often a title change but no raise.

At your interview, they say everything right when it comes to growth. But then you find that performance reviews/feedback never happen, and many hoops have to be jumped through for any growth.
    There is also obvious favoritism for some departments over others, when ALL departments are needed for an efficient agency.
    Huge revolving door at this place for a reason.

There are also some directors who have no business being directors and have terrible people skills. But, that can be found anywhere!

Advice to Management

VALUE EMPLOYEES!
    You're tripping over dollars to pick up cents

"Never been treated worse by anyone"

Pros

Ogilvy creates beautiful work and the creative team is extremely talented.

Cons

I interned for the Coca Cola team in Manhattan and have never been treated worse by an group of people in my life.

When I say that these people were mean, that is a bold understatement. I worked hours that were unreasonable and also not allowed for interns (although I didn't find this out until later), I was given demeaning tasks like being asked to go through the trash and use my personal credit card for errands (despite my bosses having corporate cards). I was exhausted from the hours, feeling extremely under appreciated and overwhelmed.

When I told my boss that I was overwhelmed, she was very kind and understanding but then went and told her boss that I had an attitude problem. I was brought into the office of a higher up who until that point I had never spoken to, only brought her coffee. The woman ripped into me like I have never been ripped into before. She told me that I was rude and disrespectful for telling a boss that I was overwhelmed. I told her that I'd had multiple internships in the past and had never been given such negative feedback. I also told her that I had never refused a task by my boss and would never treat anyone disrespectfully. She didn't care and despite my sobbing told me to go home for the day and wait to be told if I was invited back. When I told HR about how I'd been treated, they didn't seem surprised. They told me that they had had similar issues with that team in the past but could not move me because it would look bad. However, HR did help me get reimbursed for the money I lost, and asked the team to treat me better.

The team did not take well to this. All of this happened in week 2 of a 10 week internship. I stayed until week 6, struggling every day. But the team was so upset with me because of HR scolding them, that they continued to mistreat me every day. I asked to be moved to another team 3 different times but was told no all 3 times. Something seriously did not add up because different people kept telling me that they would move me, but then came back telling me no for different ambiguous reasons. When I told HR I was leaving they seemed relieved. I couldn't believe how incredibly disrespectful this company was to me.

I found out that the turnover rate for Ogilvy was extremely high, and frankly was not surprised.

They treat their employees terribly, overworking them and disrespecting them. They are so worried about office politics and producing good work, that treating employees with respect is not a priority. It was my dream to work there, and now I have no intention of stepping foot in that office ever again.

If you are a student looking for a positive internship experience at a large advertising agency, I would recommend looking at BBDO or Grey Group. Both companies produce beautiful work and I have read great things about their internship programs.

My experience was horrible, but I learned so much about the importance of being a good boss and red flags to look out for in future job searching. I hope that my taking the time to write about my experience helps others who are considering employment at Ogilvy.

Advice to Management

Your interns deserve to be treated with the same respect of any full time employee. This should be obvious but unfortunately, it wasn't for Ogilvy.

"A Creative Catastrophe"

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Good name for a resume, maybe.

Cons

The creative department is a mess of creatives with zero sense of structure. Work is delegated by non-creative "managers" - not by merit or by experience, but rather the first body they can throw at a brief.

HR is gravely unprofessional and unable to keep personal matters personal.

"Poor Quality Work Poor Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your peers will be great and they make coming to work worth it.

Cons

Management doesn't have your back. They will set you up to have to work unending hours with zero support. Will make it seem like your fault if you fall behind when you are expected to cover numerous deliverables across numerous clients with competing timelines. The actual quality of the work you're tasked with will not grow your knowledge or expertise it's solely executional

Advice to Management

Invest in those Loyal to you. Make them feel like they are valued and not just with lip service. Your employees are your eyes and ears. Value the insight they give when they're courageous enough to give it.

"Hot mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review is specific to the IBM account at Ogilvy. I honestly believe that the other accounts at Ogilvy do not have the problems that IBM has. Unfortunately, I did not have the option to experience this as is it extremely difficult to move between accounts here.

Cons

This review is specific to the IBM account at Ogilvy. There is very little on-boarding to the team, to the point where it is almost impossible to perform the basic tasks required for your position. Most people on the team are openly unhappy and you can see people applying to other jobs at their desks or in meetings. Everything is heavily driven by the media team, much to the detriment of the account. The media team itself lacks the knowledge to drive the account forward. Many of these team members act as if they have never had another human interaction before in their lives. Speaking to them is extremely painful and unfruitful.

Advice to Management

Be strategic about resourcing and don't just hire large teams if they are going to sit in meetings as warm bodies and not contribute. Don't just promote people based on friendships, but instead award employees based on merit.

11. "Sr. SW Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work with

Cons

Work is not up to expectations.