Ogilvy & Mather Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO John Seifert
John Seifert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Its a very chilled place and fantastic work environment (in 68 reviews)

• Amazing people, great work-life balance, cool opportunities f you can find them (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficulty in work / life balance (in 63 reviews)

• Long hours and takes time to get up the ladder (in 61 reviews)

1. "Office politics"

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Surrounded by great people (in the Atlanta office), but majority of the great people are dropping off like flies (and not being replaced). Benefits are okay- only high deductible plans available. Pay is below average for the advertising industry, but having "Ogilvy" on your resume looks good.

Cons

So many office politics at play and the boys club mentality is still pervasive. Ogilvy is known for never giving raises or promotions (who gives a promotion without a pay raise? Ogilvy does). So, make sure the original offer is good. The Atlanta office doesn't seem to get taken too seriously, as opposed to the other NA offices.

Advice to Management

The employee morale is low, a lot of uncertainty. If you want to keep employees, maybe work on raises and upping the morale.

2. "Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Strong female leadership. Making changes to keep up with client needs and industry changes.

Cons

Lack of career planning and promotion opportunities.

Advice to Management

Focus on your talent. Take care of them so they don't want to leave.

3. "Get ready to make your own work"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Lax management, days off, free food

Cons

The intern program is undeveloped. Management has no idea what to assign interns. You are given 5 hours for simple tasks, and if you complete them early, like most people with brains do, they have nothing else to assign.

Advice to Management

Speak up for what you want. Don't depend so much on the intern to find tasks to do.

"Not much to offer these days"

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Some great and talented people work here.

Cons

- A lot more people work here with egos and bad attitudes than do not, and those individuals are not reprimanded.
    - Low pay and no options for raises.
    - Behind when it comes to technology and digital, still leading with traditional advertising with digital as an afterthought.
    - Wastes an incredible amount of paper for both internal use and client presentations.
    - Lack of culture that was once present.

Advice to Management

Step out of the past and into the present. The Mad Men era was/is a great foundation, but Ogilvy needs to adapt quickly to keep up with digital/social forward advertising. Also, implementation of a better system that allows all employees to have insight in work rather than multiple unconnected systems and manually managed excel documents/google docs is much needed for the size of this company.

5. "What a joke"

Former Freelancer - Digital Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Freelancer - Digital Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building, new equipment, sleeping room, nurse, gym

Cons

-I got hired temp to perm, I thought i was getting hired to work directly with O&M but it was for a small group they had bought and worked in the same building
    -my manager spoke almost no English and not very well, literally throwing me into projects with no explanation
    -I complained so many times to HR when my manager ignored my request to approve my time sheet, where I missed my paycheck (The last straw)

Advice to Management

Find out what HR is doing

6. "Good place to learn, not to stay"

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Good place to learn the ropes, some very smart colleagues, decent benefits

Cons

Siloed environment, raises are relatively unheard of which leads to a high degree of turnover, lack of oversight and encouragement, too easy to feel like a cog in the machine

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your most valuable workers and give credit where it is due. Believe in the power of financial incentives to keep young workers engaged or they will certainly take their talents elsewhere.

7. "Ogilvy Korea"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You can get opportunities to work with large, global companies. Other than that, no pros.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. I left work at 8:00 PM almost everyday and did not get any overtime payment. I don't know about the company in the U.S. but the Korean one is not the place anyone would enjoy to work at. I almost wanted to leave the advertising field after working with the team in Korea.

Advice to Management

There needs to be change for interns at the Korean one. Interns cannot to overwork by law but the company does it anyway without any compensation. Employees do not give opportunity to work as the exact position (ex. account management) but rather have interns research everything and don't get even a taste of the position.

8. "Manager"

Pros

Fun culture
    Great history
    Resume builder
    Lots of booze?

Cons

Absolute chaos
    Lack of structure
    No formal process... Ever

Advice to Management

Get structure. Have control over what happens.

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Steady salary. Most people were nice.

Cons

Frenetic energy, absolutely NO room for advancement or career development. If you take an admin job it IS a DEAD END.

"Overworked, not guided and under paid"

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Work environment is great - offers different networks to connect with others

Cons

- NO mentors - with the politics that's happening, no one cares to nurture future leaders
    - HORRIBLE pay - the fact that you're expected to work 10+ hour days for scrap of change is insulting. Also, when it's identified that certain people are "reaping from the promotion pool" aka senior leaderships are protecting their bonuses

Advice to Management

With the recent climate at Ogilvy, it is imperative that Ogilvy reevaluates how they treat their employees as they're on the front lines to do great work. Also, Ogilvy needs to get out the "traditional" mindset and start to go for new opportunities to bring life back into the agency. If not, we're going to keep losing great talent.