Ogilvy "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ogilvy Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.6
Ogilvy CEO John Seifert
John Seifert
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great experience--Ogilvy takes care of their interns"

Former Intern - Public Relations

I worked at Ogilvy for less than a year

Pros

Very caring team who dedicate a lot of their time to helping you understand more about the PR industry. Also, they give you real and meaningful work that you can see has an impact on their projects immediately, which was very gratifying.

Cons

Work life balance could be improved.

Ogilvy2019-09-26

"Change is Constant"

I have been working at Ogilvy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance (better for some employees but not all), ability to work remotely, vacation time.

Cons

Low morale, layoffs or people leaving due to culture. Employees not wanting to go above and beyond anymore, lack of accountability, lack of bonuses and raises. Long hours. Constant changes and no improvements.

Ogilvy2019-05-14

"Decent experience on a cool brand came with terrible work/life balance"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of exposure with ownership of projects. I really did like the brands I worked on, they were interesting and engaging with the plus side of undergoing major strategy shifts that I got to support (even lead on some aspects). I cultivated relationships with senior company leadership that made it a bit easier to survive. Great for moms (though I am not one) and generally accommodating. I liked my immediate account... and strategy peers very much. From a perks standpoint, a cafe on the ground floor meant I didn't have to leave the building on busy days. The medical center in basement was amazing on days when I needed attention but had a major meeting to prep for (and my trip abroad - I got all my vaccines with minimal disruption to my project schedule).

Cons

Creative genius/a**hole trope was very real (and surprisingly high up) and poorly managed by leadership that had the power to squash it. Unfortunately a few bad apples spoiled the bunch. I bore the brunt of the bad behavior on my team. As for work/life balance, I can likely count on two hands the number of days I worked an 8 hr day (with a 30min lunch break) over the course of two years. Found out at the end of... my tenure that I was paid less than other AEs on the team and in the building (despite my original attempts to negotiate a higher salary when offered the job). So that made the outrageous hours even harder to swallow. Lastly, as I was told, they call it "slow-gilvy for a reason." I could not seem to get promoted on the team and was told that an internal rotation w/a bump was unlikely.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people who suck culture dry, overwork your teams, and seem to hold promotions hostage. I would have stayed but for those few things. Hoping with the recent internal reorg, things have changed. There is a great history to this agency. Would love to see it thrive!

Ogilvy2019-02-15
  4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Ogilvy

Pros

Awesome clients Great co-workers Cool projects Great offices

Cons

Sometimes long hours Hard to plan work/life balance with uncertainty Far walk from the train

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best

Ogilvy2018-11-13
  5. "Needs to invest more in their employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent work/life balance, reasonable hours, flexible working arrangements, 401(k) matching, decent benefits, roof deck, many spaces to work privately.

Cons

Inept benefits department, hemorrhaging talent, no upward mobility, office is remotely located, prima donna clients.

Advice to Management

If you want to stop hemorrhaging talent, pay the talent more. Promote the ones who excel. Give workers the option to work from home on Fridays. Give workers more vacation time. Give workers at least six discretionary summer Fridays. Get your benefits department to run a tighter ship and communicate more effectively. I endured rampant miscommunication about several crucial issues, and it was often a struggle to... get straight answers and resolve situations. I also recommend setting up a new health insurance plan; Aetna is a notoriously terrible insurance "provider." Keep 401(k) matching, flexible working arrangements, work-from-home days, and pre-tax transit benefits. Keep the holiday schedule. Keep You Matter Day. Pouring hundreds of thousands of dollars into renovations of an overpriced cafeteria was foolish and short-sighted. Do not make similar mistakes in the future. Invest in your people. Also, think about adding a couple more big umbrellas for the roof deck in the summer. It can get pretty bright up there.

Ogilvy2018-10-25
  6. "The LA office is not the Ogilvy you're expecting...."

I worked at Ogilvy full-time

Pros

- Great company culture - Close, small knit, fun team - Located in Silicon Beach (Playa Vista) - Surrounded by many other top notch agencies - Good work-life balance - Weekly WFH days

Cons

- No sexy clients - PR runs all - no creative, strategy, production, technology, data, business development or HR departments - Digital team supplement PR teams - New business acquisition never happens - Promotions and professional development - does not exist - Senior leadership does not support junior staff in their promotion/development strategy - Extremely low pay compared to the industry - Management... is not transparent with employees - Ogilvy West has no presence in the larger Ogilvy network - Does not recognize employees who go above and beyond and immerse themselves in new projects, accounts, ect.

Advice to Management

- Be transparent with employees about pay raises, promotions and the cycles (especially those in LA who never receive promotions) - Change and update your current new business strategies - they are not working - PR should not run all - office needs to be more collective and collaborative

Ogilvy2018-08-23
  7. "account supervisor"

I worked at Ogilvy full-time

Pros

it is one of the most creative and innovative agencies to be a part of

Cons

work life balance takes a miss

Ogilvy2018-05-04
  8. "Ogilvy Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy for less than a year

Pros

Hands-on experience, visibility with upper management

Cons

Not a good work-life balance

Advice to Management

Need more diversity on the executive level

Ogilvy2018-04-24

"Lots of potential, good chance for growth, hit or miss leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Ogilvy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people and culture at Effective. The teams were some of the most talented and passionate I've ever worked with. The opportunities for growth were good if you were a star performer. Plenty of different clients and project types so within a year you had a chance to build plenty of diverse experience. Design was given a seat at the table (probably at the head of the table) so opportunities to lead and have... an impact were numerous. You could be pretty open with your views or suggest improvements and feel like leadership was listening and genuinely cared. Overall really great work/life balance with plenty of space for choosing hours or working from home. Travel opportunities were amazing if you were a lead or on a remote client. If you lean in and work hard, you get an amazing and rare chance to grow.

Cons

There was a pretty large contingent of long-term employees in leadership who had been there 5-9 years. It could often feel like a secretive vibe or a clique and if you weren't in, you felt like you weren't involved in decisions or heard sometimes. Issues with the work or client experience weren't readily addressed and often you would feel like you were repeating yourself or you would give up and see co-workers leave... the company. If you were good enough and clients loved you, it was easy to get stuck on one project for over a year and burn out. We saw that often ... what felt like choosing the client and pipeline over employee burnout. As mentioned in other reviews, the switch to Ogilvy probably had a big impact on a lot of these issues. Once you leave, you realize they pay at least 25% less than similar roles at other companies so it's hard for them to be competitive.

Advice to Management

Be more open and respond faster to employee needs. Try to be more genuine with listening and addressing issues so employees feel more valued and want to stay at a great company that cares. Recognize when it might be time to address issues on the client side so employees aren't seen as secondary to the revenue.

Ogilvy2018-01-28
  10. "Awesome mission; great team; middle of transformation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ogilvy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Effective lives and breaths human-centered design. Awesome work/life balance. Great client roster. Leadership is committed to authentically lead through transformation. More than 12 years of experience. Part of a global company, Ogilvy (a WPP company) -- this has its pros and cons. The pros include access to some of the best clients in the world, global reach, amazing talent, and career opportunities.

Cons

Effective is going through a transformation within Ogilvy -- Google "John Seifert Ogilvy transformation" The Denver office shrunk in 2017 which hurt culture but it's on the rebound.

Advice to Management

Keep casting vision and sharing where we are going. With so much change the more information shared the better.

Ogilvy2017-12-14