OgilvyOne Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
OgilvyOne Chairman and CEO Brian Fetherstonhaugh
Brian Fetherstonhaugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work environment wasn't too stressful for an intern (in 12 reviews)

• This world class agency has smart people, amazing brands for clients and they always push people to be great and do big things (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Stressful and bad work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• long hours, low pay and sometimes clients are not that reasonable (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great place to grow if you take the initiative to find those opportunities"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team managers are really accessible, whether their on your team or on another one. Because there are affinity and interest clubs for Ogilvy, if you join those clubs you will have face time with a lot of different and important people. And if you take on a leadership role, you will have direct access to people as high up as the North America CEO. It is an awesome opportunity to have at this huge agency. The people are really nice, and I found HR receptive to my feedback, and even willing to help me make transitions when I saw opportunities to advance. There are also opportunities to participate in projects or pitches. The onus is on the employee to make this place work for your career path. I had to leave suddenly due to personal matter, and the agency was flexible in working with me to make it work when I needed to commute across state lines. Ultimately that became too time consuming, but they understood and I think the fact that they had such a heart was incredible. I thought the pay was fine, but given that it's NYC, could be better. I'll add that I didn't bother negotiating so that could be part of it. The gym and the classes are a huge perk. And at least my team was never run like a sweat shop. I was able to leave the office around 6 everyday unless there was some big project with a quick deliverable. And I never had to take work home. I guess I got lucky.

Cons

While everything there was great, you do need to find the opportunities yourself. Your accomplishments will not be recognized unless you yourself bring them to someone's attention. If you want to move up, you might find that you never will unless you make sure others are recognizing that you're worthy. The cafeteria on site is expensive, but our only real option given the horrible location.

Advice to Management

The "required" reviews are a great practice in theory, but they are not well enforced. I had to go to my manager every time, and multiple times, to schedule my reviews. Like I said, everything is based on initiative of the employee, but it might have been nice for my accomplishments to have been recognized without me having to toot my own horn.

2. "Senior strategist"

Current Employee - Senior Creative Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Creative Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at OgilvyOne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, exciting work projects and opportunities. Accessable senior leadership. Heavy drive for award winning work, helping you pad your portfolio

Cons

Little to no transparency when it comes to raises promotions. Resources are scares as average work days are 10+ hours

Advice to Management

Sending emails about senior leadership changes does little more morale, instead we should be celebrating the middle and lower teams

3. "An eclectic group of very smart people"

I have been working at OgilvyOne full-time

Pros

I have never worked with smarter colleagues in my career. It is a refreshing brain exercise each day.

Cons

The company is large, so getting to understand how to navigate it can take months if not years.

4. "AE"

Former Employee - Content Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Content Strategist in New York, NY

Pros

Strong leadership, clients, and employees

Cons

climb the corporate ladder, politics, low salary

Advice to Management

allow overtime pay for entry level candidates

5. "Ups and Downs"

Pros

Fun work environment and good clients

Cons

Turnover rate and lack of growth

6. "Director, Consulting"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This world class agency has smart people, amazing brands for clients and they always push people to be great and do big things. The clients are demanding and bring out the best work in people. They celebrate success and learn from losses.

Cons

Big agency bureaucracy. Junior level support has been trimmed in recent years. They have lost some great mid level talent recently as well. Comp could be much better at rewarding new business / add on business

Advice to Management

Bring in good junior people. Challenge them and grow them in house to keep them and help them maintain the Ogilvy brand. Provide help to mid level managers, as they require support on the mundane if they are to have big ideas.

7. "Solid agency"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at OgilvyOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere and work environment. Many resources outside of the creative department.

Cons

Promotion periods happen twice a year, very relative to others on the team even if more deserved. Not enough account people who are strategically minded and can write well. Creative teams not strong and as accountable as should be in an agency of this caliber.

Advice to Management

Keep employees abreast of growth opportunities and provide atmosphere to reach up and progress.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time

Pros

Talented and intelligent people, broad network, Wagon Wednesday drinks several times per year, creative parties.

Cons

Terrible people management, no efforts toward developing individuals, no inclination to improve poor morale amongst teams, zero appreciation of incredibly long hours.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the problem areas and weak leaders. Don't promote senior leaders whose teams are consistently unhappy and complaining about not getting enough out of their experience. Maximize all of these people and then spend less time having to recruit their replacements.

9. "Culture"

Pros

Creative fun environment - great for young people

Cons

Very political at exec level

10. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne (More than a year)

Pros

Big agency, opens a lot of doors.

Cons

You'll get a very thorough advertising agency experience at this agency, but the job training is relatively non-existent. So if you're looking to learn about digital marketing and grow in a role, this place may not be a suitable place to start.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people more often than once a year.