Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
C. Matthew Keen

Pros
  • And my work-life balance needs are taken seriously as well (in 8 reviews)

• This is a well managed and established law firm (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Even though the firm offers a generous benefits package this group does not encourage work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• this is the most horrible law firm (in 7 reviews)

1. "Outstanding career here"

Pros

Brilliant attorneys and stand-out professionals partner at this firm to create a well reputed history of being recognized as the best labor law firm in the U.S.

There is a clear nexus between the caliber of the leaders at this firm and the success of this office over the past 40 years.

The high expectation of hard work, humility, and mutual purpose resonates in the culture. All attorneys at the helm never expect more from staff that they do not expect of themselves.

Experienced leaders of this firm hire knowledgeable people to join as members of the caring teams that are all united with focus on the delivery of excellent legal services.

Cons

The expectation of employees is to produce excellent quality work product 100% of the time. So it's not a place to be if you want to coast.

Advice to Management

Steady as it goes.

"Great career choice for me"

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I work for an admin department so I cannot speak to the legal staff side of things but my manager is fantastic, we have regular check-ins to talk about progress, challenges, and suggestion I may have for changes/improvements for my manger or our team and my input is seriously considered every time I make a suggestion. And my work-life balance needs are taken seriously as well.
    -I am given opportunities for professional development and I am taking advantage of our education reimbursement program.
    -Benefits are good, yearly bonus is nice.
    -My team is dependable, we help and support each other as much as possible.
    -I work with a variety of members of leadership in offices throughout the firm and all but one have been a pleasure to work with and they usually respond promptly and politely to my inquiries.
    -Our most recent firm managing shareholder seemed to really put his heart and soul into making this a great L&E law firm, the new firm managing shareholder seems to have a similar vision and dedication.
    -Misc. perks: break rooms are stocked with soda, a variety of K-cups/Keurigs (some offices have regular coffee machines instead), and other drinks. The firm pays for parking (this is great since the offices are all located in the heart of downtown).
    -The firm is growing, opened new offices this year and last year. I feel like I could stay working here for many years and have good job security, this is a really nice feeling to have.

Cons

-There is a bit of a division between legal and admin staff but this seems like a natural thing, not the fault of management.
    -The only other thing I would mention is that some aspects of the firm (policies/systems/technology...) aren't on par with how large we are and how much we are growing, this may just be a natural growing pain. There have been a few times when firm leadership has acknowledged some things along this line, so it seems like they are aware that there is room for improvement to keep up with our competitors.
    -I really don't have any serious deal-breaker type cons, some people will have different experiences depending on their manager/supervisor and what office they are located in as each office is a bit different.

Advice to Management

As mentioned, my manager is excellent. I think the shareholders, directors and c-suite have a good vision for the firm.

3. "Varies drastically by location"

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Great salary and benefits but varies by location.

Cons

Other locations are run better than the Morristown office.

Advice to Management

Get a better office admin.

5. "Practice Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Great view of Indianapolis skyline; very nice office environment (interior design)

Cons

Very poor management; out of touch Managing Director, near retirement, not interested in the employees or individual contributions.

Advice to Management

Advice to Managing Director - please retire and everyone will be in a much better situation in the Indianapolis office...

6. "Paralegal"

Pros

Busy, good colleagues, and ability to concentrate on clients and customers.

Cons

Busy, veiled staff and management interactions.

7. "One of the best places to work!"

Pros

There's great work/life balance
    The compensation is competitive
    The benefits are great
    The culture is different in every office but the overall firm has a wonderful culture and vision
    The growth opportunities in the firm, even from office-to-office, is a positive for most

Cons

The only negative I can even think of is that sometimes it is difficult to communicate with others because Ogletree is such a large firm with many offices so most communication is done by e-mail and sometimes goes unanswered.

Advice to Management

Every office is different in the way that they operate so my "advice" to management would be to continue to operate the best way possible for the staff and attorneys in your office.

"Great place"

Pros

Great people, company, and atmosphere

Cons

Downtown traffic makes it difficult

"Find your niche with this Big Law employer"

Current Employee - Of Counsel
    Current Employee - Of Counsel

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Exceptionally well-run from the top. Forward-thinking business, always a step ahead of its competitors. Lots of room for professional growth. Values inclusivity and always improving its diversity.

Cons

Like most all Big Law firms, it struggles to value anything other than the billable hour.

Advice to Management

Continue finding ways to value the hard-to-quantify attributes that many of your "outside the box" attorneys bring to the table.

"Nice place to work overall"

Former Employee - Of Counsel in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Of Counsel in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On a macro level, I loved the messaging management put out to its lawyers. The "Southern Gentleman lawyer" culture they projected was a great thing, and the founding shareholders really appeared to care about the well-bring of the rank and file. Creative use of benefits for health care savings accounts. Great lawyers looking to practice law in a constructive way, for the most part. Of the firms I have worked for, this was my favorite as far as quality of work, quality of clients, treatment of its employees, quality of support staff, quality of office facilities, and work environment. Managing shareholder in L.A. is a terrific person. All paralegals in L.A. were the BEST I'd ever worked with (I miss them the most).

Cons

There will be bad lawyers and bad people at any firm, I suppose, and ODNSS is not immune from that rule. Having to work with a few bad people is such a drag. The politics gets old.There are good secretaries/administrative assistants in residence in L.A., but I never had one of those. The worst, though, was shareholders from offices outside California who think they understand California law, but do not, sticking their nose in your business and directing you to take the case a place that it should not go. There are also a couple unpleasant shareholders in the L.A. office, but they are pretty rare. Never got a raise the entire time there, so negotiate a good salary package upfront.

Advice to Management

Give non-shareholder attorneys the ability to review shareholders to give feedback to management about how those people work. Those bad actors should be held accountable for their poor management skills.

11. "Ogletree paralegal"

Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Opportunity to work with a variety of attorneys and clients, large case loads and a lot of exposure to different visa types

Cons

Not always recognized for hard work and going above and beyond. Some clients and attorneys are hard to work with than others

Advice to Management

Provide more training based on level of knowledge and experience rather than throwing everyone together and inhibiting further growth for non new employees