Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
C. Matthew Keen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No work-life balance, very hands-off upper management" (in 6 reviews)

• "Crazy workload but it's a law firm so it's expected" (in 7 reviews)

"Great company, truly cares for their employees and they foster a welcoming, inviting, and fun environment."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great amenities, lots of perks while working for the company.

Cons

Nothing too negative. I would say as a law firm they make they the atmosphere as fun and as positive as possible. Whereas many firms don’t put much effort in this.

2. "Great Firm"

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities if you want them. Big on collaboration. Great internal resources.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are good but could be better.

"Understaffed and Overworked (Raleigh Immigration)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Good paying entry-level positions with no experience required in the field. High work load will make later work experiences feel easy. Current paralegals and support staff are mostly lovely and kind coworkers, despite the stress.

Cons

All teams are currently above the max workload capacity. Management claims to be aggressively hiring but few new employees are being onboarded. Several long-term employees with high case loads have left in the past few months. Almost everyone is currently miserable and job hunting. Training is difficult and fragmented because few new paralegals have any immigration experience and most paralegals are too overworked to do in-depth training.

Advice to Management

Look in to more reasonable case loads for paralegals, and more support staff so things run more smoothly over all. Cake and parties do not actually raise morale or make employees satisfied with their jobs.
    Please be more concerned with the current state of things. Ask employees/teams what they need before people are crying or quitting.

Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. Response

Jul 30, 2018 – CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER

We are truly sorry that you are feeling overworked, and have a number of recruiting strategies going to appropriately staff your team.

4. "Office Assistant"

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Great organization to work for.

Cons

There is limited area for advancement.

5. "Former Accounting Employee at ODNSS"

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started my career at ODNSS - it was a great place to work and learn more about the industry. My managers were great and seemed to really care about me being successful. There were a lot of opportunities to learn and advance, and the attorneys were so great to work with.

Cons

Very competitive, which can be a good environment for some, but I preferred a more team-oriented atmosphere.

"Keep your Eyes Open"

Former Employee - Practice Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Practice Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Good benefits. Good Salary. All the Diet Soda you can drink. The staff is pleasant and easy to work with. Beautiful building in very desirable location near shopping and the 405 Freeway.

Cons

Lots of computer issues despite having an IT division. The firm has adopted an "old school" way of looking at things - they look the other way. Lots of sexual remarks made to staff members with the staff being fearful of retaliation and having no place to go to report this type of behavior for fear of losing their jobs. No one seems to do anything when the power brokers take advantage of others. While some PA's were very busy, some were not busy very much at all. The work was overwhelming at times and not evenly distributed.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people and listen to staff members more closely.

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation
    Lots of events
    Good reimbursement for expenses
    Managers and director over me cares and pays attention
    Good advancement potential if you work
    Nice Office and work environment
    You work hard but not long hours

Cons

Benefits are extensive but expensive

Advice to Management

Good job so far as far as I’m concerned.

"Disappointed With This Corporate Firm"

Former Employee - Various Depending On the Moment in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Various Depending On the Moment in Greenville, SC

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The number of vacation and sick days were better than most places. Free coffee and tea was on hand all day. Occasionally, there were free breakfasts or lunches. My manager was understanding that family came before work and was flexible if I needed to alter my schedule short term. Lunch was never at a set time each day unless the employee wanted such.

Cons

Training was to show you a few things and then throw you to the wolves to self learn. There were too many gossipers that should've been working instead of worrying about what others were/were not doing. Workload was very demanding for one person. Some employees (including management) got lots of down time to play on the internet and post stuff on social media while others were working nonstop to stay on top of their large workload but were never caught up. The billing office needed some work on better training of its employees. I asked to move around/up to utilize my skills, experience, and desire to learn more, but nothing ever came of it other than a heavier workload. That's not the same! Insurance was expensive.

Advice to Management

Best practices of this firm's location were very few. Practice what you preach! If you are a HR firm, the internal practices need changed to keep employer turnover numbers down. Listen to the needs of your employees and make necessary adjustments. Evenly distribute workloads.

"Paralegal"

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Latest in technology. Decent benefits.

Cons

Quality of management varies greatly by office. Managing partner sets the tone and some really don't need to be in those positions. Some offices have steady turnover. You've either been there 10 years or 6 months. 700 plus lawyers is not a law firm; it is a corporation. They claim to have "team spirit" but heaven forbid if that is team spirit.

Advice to Management

Bigger is not always better.

10. "New employee review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative and entrepreneurial atmosphere. Great culture with incredible support from the top and all Shareholders. Have seen many law firms, but this is a special place.

Cons

Some missing tools in the collaborative space. Such tools would allow improved collaboration amongst the many offices over distances. Those tools will come however and will just make a good thing even better.