Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. Reviews

Updated May 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.9
C. Matthew Keen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And my work-life balance needs are taken seriously as well (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to work with amazing benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, very hands-off upper management (in 6 reviews)

• Crazy workload but it's a law firm so it's expected (in 7 reviews)

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation
    Lots of events
    Good reimbursement for expenses
    Managers and director over me cares and pays attention
    Good advancement potential if you work
    Nice Office and work environment
    You work hard but not long hours

Cons

Benefits are extensive but expensive

Advice to Management

Good job so far as far as I’m concerned.

2. "Former Accounting Employee at ODNSS"

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started my career at ODNSS - it was a great place to work and learn more about the industry. My managers were great and seemed to really care about me being successful. There were a lot of opportunities to learn and advance, and the attorneys were so great to work with.

Cons

Very competitive, which can be a good environment for some, but I preferred a more team-oriented atmosphere.

3. "Keep your Eyes Open"

Former Employee - Practice Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Practice Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Good benefits. Good Salary. All the Diet Soda you can drink. The staff is pleasant and easy to work with. Beautiful building in very desirable location near shopping and the 405 Freeway.

Cons

Lots of computer issues despite having an IT division. The firm has adopted an "old school" way of looking at things - they look the other way. Lots of sexual remarks made to staff members with the staff being fearful of retaliation and having no place to go to report this type of behavior for fear of losing their jobs. No one seems to do anything when the power brokers take advantage of others. While some PA's were very busy, some were not busy very much at all. The work was overwhelming at times and not evenly distributed.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people and listen to staff members more closely.

4. "Disappointed With This Corporate Firm"

Former Employee - Various Depending On the Moment in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Various Depending On the Moment in Greenville, SC

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The number of vacation and sick days were better than most places. Free coffee and tea was on hand all day. Occasionally, there were free breakfasts or lunches. My manager was understanding that family came before work and was flexible if I needed to alter my schedule short term. Lunch was never at a set time each day unless the employee wanted such.

Cons

Training was to show you a few things and then throw you to the wolves to self learn. There were too many gossipers that should've been working instead of worrying about what others were/were not doing. Workload was very demanding for one person. Some employees (including management) got lots of down time to play on the internet and post stuff on social media while others were working nonstop to stay on top of their large workload but were never caught up. The billing office needed some work on better training of its employees. I asked to move around/up to utilize my skills, experience, and desire to learn more, but nothing ever came of it other than a heavier workload. That's not the same! Insurance was expensive.

Advice to Management

Best practices of this firm's location were very few. Practice what you preach! If you are a HR firm, the internal practices need changed to keep employer turnover numbers down. Listen to the needs of your employees and make necessary adjustments. Evenly distribute workloads.

"Paralegal"

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Latest in technology. Decent benefits.

Cons

Quality of management varies greatly by office. Managing partner sets the tone and some really don't need to be in those positions. Some offices have steady turnover. You've either been there 10 years or 6 months. 700 plus lawyers is not a law firm; it is a corporation. They claim to have "team spirit" but heaven forbid if that is team spirit.

Advice to Management

Bigger is not always better.

6. "New employee review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative and entrepreneurial atmosphere. Great culture with incredible support from the top and all Shareholders. Have seen many law firms, but this is a special place.

Cons

Some missing tools in the collaborative space. Such tools would allow improved collaboration amongst the many offices over distances. Those tools will come however and will just make a good thing even better.

"Paralegal turnover"

Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal
    Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

The money and benefits are good. I had interesting work that I was involved and invested in.

Cons

The Raleigh (immigration) office is a hot mess. I heard through others who had visited other Ogletree offices that they were not nearly as bad. The high turnover among paralegals speaks for itself. The workload is very high and, while most attorneys say that they are there to help, they tend to disappear behind closed doors when things catch fire or the workload gets unmanageable. I was embarrassed by the quality of my work, but my caseload and stress level were so high that I was making mistakes everywhere - simply not enough time in the day to do my work carefully, and certainly not enough time to check it over. Overtime has to be pre-approved by a shareholder (and whether or not you get it depends on your supervising attorney). Before my caseload ramped up with time, my work quality was significantly better. The blame game is well-played in the office, and attorneys are not afraid to throw a paralegal under the bus. Out of survival, your energies start to focus more on CYA than on quality work and client service. Training is left to under-prepared paralegals with insufficient time. I was there for less than two years and trained multiple new paralegals, simply because there was no one else. The paralegals with the most experience are either drowning in their caseload or have quit. Clients are upset quite frequently. Some of that is because of the general frustrations related to the immigration process, but a lot of it has to do with paralegals not having time to get around to a basic /quick/easy steps in the immigration process and attorneys not making time to answer the more complex legal questions.

Advice to Management

Good management skills in the attorneys are essential. Question the attorneys who can't keep paralegals around to save their lives. 360 performance reviews could help. Client satisfaction is dependent on good, quality work. With high turnover, you won't get that. If high-level attorneys are getting called in frequently because a client is unhappy, that's a huge problem that could be fixed with solid training and a little bit of effort in retaining paralegals. You're going to lose clients and good employees without this. It would be easy to retain paralegals with occasional one-on-one training (most training was done in large groups where everyone had experience in vastly different pieces of immigration, working for different attorneys and clients), more attorney involvement in training their team so that expectations are clear (teams do things differently based on varied client needs), work with paralegals on their needs and caseloads. The occasional meeting and holiday party doesn't address the root cause of the problem.

"Ogletree Overview"

Pros

Ogletree has so far been a fantastic place to work. My interview process was short and management was honest about the expectations of the position. The onboarding process was thorough and I never felt overwhelmed learning the new material. Ogletree has an online training portal to help train on new systems, which helps the learning curve. From the half a year I've been here I've felt welcomed and appreciated and most of all noticed. There is also know room for growth and promotions.
    I have been to multiple Ogletree offices and all are exhibit a welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Our offices offer free Keurig coffee and tea, soft drinks, and very often have free food, lunches, snacks, etc. in the kitchens. I have been to multiple office outings (baseball games, bowling, etc.), attended the office holiday parties, and each month the office holds a Thirsty Thursday. Benefits are well balanced and work life balance is important.
    So far my experience has been absolutely wonderful and I truly feel I have found my career home.

Cons

For the first 3 years employees get 12 PTO days and 8 days of sick time. Total, I think this is a great amount but wish we could use sick time for PTO. Otherwise I have no complaints!

Advice to Management

Keep up the encouraging and positive work!

"Great College Job"

Former Employee - Courier
    Former Employee - Courier

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hourly pay, 401k benefits included, relaxed environment

Cons

The workload could vary significantly so some days you might have nothing to do except check the mail while others you have to make 5 deliveries after making thousands of copies

10. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very professional
    Excellent lawyers
    Interesting work
    Lots of resources

Cons

long and unpredictable hours can take a toll

Advice to Management

Be careful discounting work to get more of it. That might make people at the top more money but working more for less will quickly burn out the people who you need to actually do the work.