Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
C. Matthew Keen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No work-life balance, very hands-off upper management" (in 6 reviews)

• "Crazy workload but it's a law firm so it's expected" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great First Impressions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff
    Great location
    Amazing training and support
    Fantastic resources for staff and clients

Cons

So far, no cons that I have experienced

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Needs Improvement-Raleigh Office"

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Learning about the complex world of immigration
    Free bagels on Friday
    Benefits (PTO is separate from sick days, health insurance, and time off around holidays)
    Some awesome coworkers depending on your teammates
    I guess the monthly birthday cake and ice cream can count as a pro

Cons

The environment is toxic and tense. Some of the attorneys come across to their staff as bullies and could care less about their feelings. There are a very small handful of attorneys who actually care about their job and are open to answering questions while some if not most hide behind their doors all day.

The workload can be stressful and too demanding due to some of the requests from clients. No type of flexibility with schedule (not allowed to work remote, although this option is available for a few people on staff apparently). Typical 8-5 workday or 8:30-5:30 with a 1-hour break. Everything seems to be urgent or has to be rushed out immediately. Pay is not the best either. Some paralegals are paid well, while others are still below average. For the amount of work that has to be done, the salary does not seem to be enough.

Employees look sad and depressed most of the time. If you laugh or even try to have a friendly conversation with your coworkers an email will be sent out about being too social.

Advice to Management

This office is in desperate need of a morale boost. The turnover will continue if you don’t make any changes and try to retain your more tenured employees. After surviving through an intense peak season aka CAP season, give your employees a day off or let them work half a day and leave at noon. They have worked hard and been put under a lot of stress for the month and a break is well-deserved. Show them that you actually care about their mental health and sanity before they walk out and quit.
    Cake and ice cream with an occasional bowling trip does not build morale. Take the time out to listen to your staff and what they would suggest without getting offended and completely shutting down to what they have to say. Just as management has to give feedback to their employees, they should also receive feedback on how they can and should improve. Seniority level does not limit personal and professional growth.

"Client Intake Specialist"

Current Employee - Client Intake Specialist in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Client Intake Specialist in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly
    Team oriented
    Standard work hours
    Great starting pay
    Overtime

Cons

Heavy workload but it doesn’t bother me

"Paralegal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Zero flexibility; cut-throat competition; toxic environment, and poor training.

5. "Practice Assistant"

Current Employee - Practice Assistant
    Current Employee - Practice Assistant

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and attorneys. Free parking. Birthday celebrations. Free drinks and coffee

Cons

Horrible sick time policy. Behind time. Insurance too high.

Advice to Management

Look at other large law firms PTO policy. Need to reward long time employees.

6. "Great Firm"

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities if you want them. Big on collaboration. Great internal resources.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are good but could be better.

"Great company, truly cares for their employees and they foster a welcoming, inviting, and fun environment."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great amenities, lots of perks while working for the company.

Cons

Nothing too negative. I would say as a law firm they make they the atmosphere as fun and as positive as possible. Whereas many firms don’t put much effort in this.

"Understaffed and Overworked (Raleigh Immigration)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Good paying entry-level positions with no experience required in the field. High work load will make later work experiences feel easy. Current paralegals and support staff are mostly lovely and kind coworkers, despite the stress.

Cons

All teams are currently above the max workload capacity. Management claims to be aggressively hiring but few new employees are being onboarded. Several long-term employees with high case loads have left in the past few months. Almost everyone is currently miserable and job hunting. Training is difficult and fragmented because few new paralegals have any immigration experience and most paralegals are too overworked to do in-depth training.

Advice to Management

Look in to more reasonable case loads for paralegals, and more support staff so things run more smoothly over all. Cake and parties do not actually raise morale or make employees satisfied with their jobs.
    Please be more concerned with the current state of things. Ask employees/teams what they need before people are crying or quitting.

Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. Response

Jul 30, 2018 – CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER

We are truly sorry that you are feeling overworked, and have a number of recruiting strategies going to appropriately staff your team.

9. "Office Assistant"

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Great organization to work for.

Cons

There is limited area for advancement.

10. "Former Accounting Employee at ODNSS"

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started my career at ODNSS - it was a great place to work and learn more about the industry. My managers were great and seemed to really care about me being successful. There were a lot of opportunities to learn and advance, and the attorneys were so great to work with.

Cons

Very competitive, which can be a good environment for some, but I preferred a more team-oriented atmosphere.